Windows 7 DHCP fails. With static IP I can ping but HTTP fails.

njs

I am having a VERY strange problem and I am at a complete loss for how to fix...

We recently had a power outage and after my PC rebooted it had no Internet access. Upon investigating I found DCHP had failed to get an address. I rebooted PC and router but problem persisted.

I finally tried a static IP (192.168.15.101) and then things got much stanger. I could ping the router (192.168.15.1) however I could NOT access its web interface (Chrome reports ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED).

I've also tried:
disabling and re-enabling the interface.
deleting and re-adding the NIC.
turning off IPv6
safemode with networking.
netsh int reset all
netsh winsock reset

When you entered a static IP address did you also enter static default gateway and DNS addresses. In your case they should be the same as your router address, 192.168.15.1.

Try rebooting the router again, this time by unplugging the router from the power outlet for 2 minutes then plug it back in and let it boot up.

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the router to factory defaults. To do this, you'll need a paper clip straightened out. On the back of the router there's a tiny hole, inside the hole is the reset button. With the paper clip, insert into hole and push and hold down reset button until router turns off. Once router has turned off release the reset button.

After doing this, if you run any wireless devices, you will need to reconfigure your wireless settings on the router.

If you've done what Bass have suggested (restarting the router) and you still have the same problem, go one step back and restart your Modem and your router again. (assuming you are not using a modem-router combo). Remember that the modem should be turned on first and wait for it to completely boot up before turning on or restarting the router.

Thanks for the suggestions. A little more info. The problem is definitely NOT the router. It is working fine with the other devices on the network (i.e. it provides DHCP addresses, I can browse to its web config interface, can access the Internet).

The Win 7 PC on the other hand, cannot access the web config interface of the router nor another wireless AP I have on the LAN.

As far as DNS, with the static IP I had set primary and secondary DNS to the roadrunner DNS server addresses but nslookup fails. So this also indicates a problem, however it would not seem to be the root cause of not being able to browse to the web interface of local devices using just their IP address (e.g. http://192.168.15.1).

Make sure and confirm as Pat suggested above that your static IP assignment also includes a default gateway of 192.168.15.1 and include 192.168.15.1 as you primary DNS and use one of the RoadRunner DNS servers as secondary or Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8)
And from a command prompt Delete your DNS cache
ipconfig /flushdns

If that still doesn't work open a browser and type
into the URL bar and hit enter.
Use the Network Troubleshooter and see what it is reporting. Let us know what happens as a result

Okay I made 192.168.15.1 the primary DNS server and tried ipconfig /flushdns but still cannot access the router (192.168.15.1), Wi-Fi AP (192.168.15.2), or any other web pages including 74.125.225.179.

Network Troubleshooter says "The DNS server isn't responding" but, again, this seems to be just a SYMPTOM not the root cause (i.e. HTTP via IP address and DHCP do not not depend upon on DNS but do not work either).

Again, for whatever reason, ping (using IP) DOES work, so that seems like a clue...

BTW, I can successfully ping local devices (e.g. 192.168.15.1, 192.168.15.2) and even Internet sites (e.g. 74.125.225.179).

Yet HTTP connections to these IP addresses fail both with IE and Chrome!

Check your browser for a black hole proxy server setting and then check you hosts files here
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc
They should look pretty much like this
Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97    rhino.acme.com          # source server
#      38.25.63.10    x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1      localhost
#    ::1            localhost
#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
What exactly is the browser presenting? An error message? A redirect?

hosts file is one line: "127.0.0.1 localhost"

Chrome reports ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED and IE says "Page can't be displayed"

They do not have any proxies configured.

Remember DHCP is failing too, so there is some serious fundamental issue besides HTTP.

Check services.msc and confirm that the DHCP Client service is started, running and set to automatic
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt
attached ipconfig.txt located on your desktop to your next post

AND.... what kind of Internet Security Suite are you running?

DHCP service was set to automatic startup but not running. When I tried to start I got an error:

Windows could not start the DHCP client service on Local Computer.
Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.
So this is interesting. Not sure how this would explain failure of HTTP by IP address, but seems like a clue...

ipconfig /all output is attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ipconfig.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 321
DHCP service was set to automatic startup but not running. When I tried to start I got an error:

Windows could not start the DHCP client service on Local Computer.
Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.
So this is interesting.
Yes very interesting.
Have you tried running the system file checker utility.
From and elevated command prompt type
sfc /scannow

Per the system event log error 7003 the missing service seems to be Afd. I found several web pages on this issue.

So rather than just deleting the dependency (as suggested in MS Article #915162 above) it seems like I really should try to restore the Afd service.

I also see I have error 7000 in the system event log "HTTP service failed to start due to the following error: The device does not recognize the command" Hoping Afd fix may fix this.

thanks for the link to http://batcmd.com/windows/7/services/afd/

After running the correct bat file and rebooting I now get these errors in the system event log:

The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.​

The problem having occurred after a power outage it may be that some system corruption occurred then and maybe a good old system restore might sort the problem.

The AFD is a driver and can be checked in msinfo32.exe.

But I agree with Pat, a power failure might induce all types of problems including the system corruption Pat mentioned. But depending on what type of failure, even partial device failure might occur.

I would run a chkdsk to see if it would help correct the possible corruption. And do the other drivers and service DHCP depends on seem to be running and started?

And the system restore might work, but it also might take a Repair Install, if you can't get it working.

Back