Windows 7 Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered

Enived

Hello,

Earlier today i was running windows xp sp3 32 bit and this computer was fulling functional. I installed Windows 7 64 Bit RC build 7100 on my friend's machine which is very similar to mine. I used the same disc to install on my own machine.

I am now receiving the error "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 185.85 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Prior to that message appearing my screen will go black, then come back on about 5 seconds later. Occassionally it will not recover and the system will just freeze.

I have done some research and have found many people experiencing the same error, but none that have gotten solutions. I also found that people experienced similar problems with Vista.

The ways that I have been able to recreate the error:
Resizing windows
playing with the personalization themes on the desktop
Running games such as: Counter-Strike and World of Warcraft

I have tried the drivers that initially were installed, updating it with windows update, and downloading newer WHQL certified drivers from the NVIDIA site for windows 7. All have the same issue.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone knows a fix or where I could expect to find an answer.

I am currently running:
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail
RAM:OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail

Thank you

Last edited:
Update:

Using the windows vista drivers did not solve the problem

Tried reformatting and installing, ran windows update. Problem still occurs

i got the same damn thing did the re-install and still same got the kerner mode error
if eny1 knows hot to fix it plz tell

Hello,

Earlier today i was running windows xp sp3 32 bit and this computer was fulling functional. I installed Windows 7 64 Bit RC build 7100 on my friend's machine which is very similar to mine. I used the same disc to install on my own machine.

I am now receiving the error \"Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 185.85 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.\" Prior to that message appearing my screen will go black, then come back on about 5 seconds later. Occassionally it will not recover and the system will just freeze.

I have done some research and have found many people experiencing the same error, but none that have gotten solutions. I also found that people experienced similar problems with Vista.

The ways that I have been able to recreate the error:
Resizing windows
playing with the personalization themes on the desktop
Running games such as: Counter-Strike and World of Warcraft

I have tried the drivers that initially were installed, updating it with windows update, and downloading newer WHQL certified drivers from the NVIDIA site for windows 7. All have the same issue.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone knows a fix or where I could expect to find an answer.

I am currently running:
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail
RAM:OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail

Thank you

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

So you've already done a reinstall (via clean install)? Have you tried using an older version of the gpu driver? I know of a couple people that were having a very similar issue and using an older driver seemed to fix the problem... ;)

can u tell me where i could download the older one ?? i readed other forums some ppl have said they changed the grafic card bc of that thing

Sure, no problem my friend.. ;)

Here's the link you want to get older drivers... NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

I'd say try a couple older one's and see if that helps at all before taking a "drastic" step like ditching your gpu for a different one.. ;) Just remember to always uninstall the old one before you try a another one or they will clash and you'll be further behind then you were before.. ;)

it was playing super past 6month and then i made uptate and then my laptop started going crazy with this stp kerner driver but i will try like sayd i hope it will help me out..
tywm fr help mate

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

So you've already done a reinstall (via clean install)? Have you tried using an older version of the gpu driver? I know of a couple people that were having a very similar issue and using an older driver seemed to fix the problem... ;)

In terms of uninstalling, I didn't see the drivers i currently have (186.03) in the add/remove programs list. Can i just delete the folder and install an older driver?

You could do that but it may result in eratic behavior.. ;)

You should be able to remove it by going to Device Manager, Select Display Adapters double click on your Graphics Card, Select the Driver Tab and select Uninstall for your Video Card Driver... ;)

That will remove it, but if any files remain they will conflict with the new drivers..

This next step isn't mandantory but it certainly doesn't hurt.. ;)

I'd recommend you download and install Driver Cleaner Pro here: Download dcprosetup_15.zip Free - Once you reboot, start in Safe Mode then run Driver Cleaner PRO and select Nvidia from the drop down list to be cleaned.

This will remove all remaining parts of the old driver. This process should be executed in Safe Mode as it gives the best results. Once it's cleaned, restart the computer and install the new driver.

Hopefully this helps you.. Keep me posted.. :)

I figured I would give you an update since you took the time to respond to my post. I ended up sending a ticket into nVidia and I was on 'second (possibly third?) tier' technical support and eventually one of their guys 'David C' had resolved my problem.

Initially they had told me to do exactly what you recommended, using the same tool. I was unable to follow the directions because Windows would force me to restart my computer after the install. After this, it would automatically update the drivers via windows update without me telling to do it (hence, automagically) and i was too frustrated at this point to do it again disconnected from the interwebs.

Also that tool failed to do what it was supposed to do. /shrug

Anyways, eventually I talked to David C and he told me to try to :

Update my BIOStar 'SBIOS' as well as the motherboard's CPU Chipset (in my case i had Intel's P43+ICH10)
According to Win7 - my intel update did not succeed (lies) it completed so i clicked the button that read something along the lines of "This installation did succeed" and continued.

I did not expect this to change anything but I figured I would play along.

Once I had updated both of these things I never experienced the Display Driver issue again. heh. Hopefully this will also help others who have tried as many things as I had prior to writing here and to nvidia.

I'm glad to hear you got the problem fixed.. ;) I guess sometimes Tech Support from a 1-800 number can really work for the better.. ;)

I really appreciated you sharing this info. Unfortunately, the same things did not work for me.

I flashed my BIOS, and updated the chipset from Intel, and still encounter the same windows 7 errors, "windows vista kernel driver stopped responding and recovered," etc. This happens over and over until my system becomes unstable. I have also tried various versions of Nvidia drivers, to no avail. I have also uninstalled all other drivers to make sure there are no weird incompatibilities.

Laptop: Dell XPS 1710
GPU: Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX
CPU: Intel Core 2

I had so many problems and got so frustrated with this "bug" that I decided to write you all what caused it.

I tried literally "EVERYTHING" I found in every post.

- Set in "Adjust image settings with preview" from the NVIDIA Control Panel to Balanced and "Set PhysX configuration" to the GPU instead of Auto.
- I modified my BIOS for CPU and GPU Voltage using every application I could find.
- Deinstalled Video Card drivers with driver sweeper and what not.
- Formatted my computer.
etc, etc, etc.

NOTHING worked, or if it did, it would only last for half a day tops.

I then updated my MB Bios. When I did that my computer did not boot any more. After reading my MB instruction manual and matching the beeping it made I found out that it would not boot because of a POWER malfunction.

I read in many posts that it was a voltage malfunction, so I went out and bought a 700W power supply.

This turned out to be the problem. The "Display Adapter has stopped working" message is just a side effect. I don't know if this applies to everyone, but it sure applied to me.

Hope this works and hope you find the solution to this problem since it is damn annoying!

Back
Top Bottom