Windows 7 Display problems - Mode Not Supported

blotto

Ok, I've been tearing out my hair over this and would seriously like some help.

quick and dirty computer setup:
win7 7057 build 64bit
samsung 40inch LCD tv (120hz 1080p)
radeon 4870 512mb video card hooked to display via VGA input
dual core e4500 @ 3.0ghz
4 gig ddr2 ram

Now, my problem is that Win7 doesn't let me use my recommended resolution on my display. I've tried several different driver releases for my video card as well as the clean install Microsoft drivers and nothing works. My install of Vista 64 has no problems whatsoever displaying any and all resolutions I throw at it but Windows 7 just hates me for some reason and refuses to display @ 1920x1080 60hz, or 59hz (60 is what should be supported but it lists both in display settings.) I'm also getting some other random resolutions in display settings that should not be there as they are clearly not supported by my display.

What do I need to do to get this to run at 1920x1080?? I'm not dumb with computers but this is something I can not for the life of me figure out. I could care less about random resolutions being in my selection menu but I really want to see my desktop and play games at the resolution my display is designed to run them at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello? Support...?

Would someone answer this question please?

I've paid for and received my copy of Win7, installed it and...oh it doesn't work! Same issue as a lot of people by the look of it.

I'm running through a HP Pavillion Slimline s3440uk with standard spec on a Samsung Series 6 40" LCD. It'll boot up and show the loading screen, but as soon as it tries to register the Display it trips over it's own feet and 'mode not supported' is the best it can manage.

Iritatingly I've called the £1 a minute Customer support line and £12 later was told to boot it on a monitor... It's lucky I have a very understanding boss and work around a lot of unused monitors because I've been able to borrow one, this is how I've updated the drivers and run a few tests:

I allowed it to boot up on the ViewSonic PlugnPlay monitor, which it does fine. Then, with it running, swapped the RGB cable to my TV...which registers the signal and displays the incorrect resolution. From here I went back and forth trying a few things:

1 - Pressing 'detect' - This confuses Win7 somewhat and immediately reverts to 'mode not supported'. Switching back to the lil' one does no good at this point either, as it's then 'out of range' and a reboot is required.

2 - Manually adjusting the Screen Resolution, Size and Refresh rate - This surprisingly worked! Yay, full res, non-stretched Windows 7, how happy! Unfortunately this was a short lived merriment as a quick restart of the PC reverted it to it's old ways.

3 - and this is wierd, Rebooting again on the lil' one, then switching back to the tv retained the resolution info I'd previously entered and the tv image was perfect! So if it can do it, why can't it do it for itself?

This I thought was the solution, leave it on and wait for an update...except that it must sleep, which surely should n...no, stuff it, when you rouse it out of sleep it forgets what it's doing again!

Is there a fix available now? Is there one on the horizon? WTF do I do in the mean time? A warning would have been nice by the way, 'compatability issues? Nah, you'll be fine!' It says! A clean wipe and install later with no Vista Disc (frigging HP) and I need a seeing eye dog to access my start menu!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Installed Win7, everything worked like a charm until it was time to reset the resolution. The graphics card chose 1920x1080 as the optimal setting then 'Mode Not Supported' from my Samsung.

I managed to get it working through DVI-HDMI but the picture is terrible and text is uneven, even with Cleartype turned on, so I've reverted to XP via DVI-VGA until this gets sorted out.

I know the TV and Radeon 4850 (as well as my previous graphics card) are capable of 1920x1080@60 as I've used the set-up for XP for the past two years, so why can't a supposedly updated OS manage the same thing? It's highly frustrating, and Win7 is now gathering dust on a shelf. Damned annoying because it seems like a pretty sweet OS and, like I said, the installation went flawlessly, which it a turn-up for the books.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom