Windows 7 Display randomly freezes/distorts

headsh0tshurt

Hello. i checked several of the graphic support threads and i see there are other members with similar issues. however, most pertain to when they're gaming, my issue unfortunately is isolated to just that.

Since I've upgraded my pc to Windows 7 ultimate several months ago i have had random occurences of display errors. Most times the screen would unexpectantly become distorted and then freeze, forcing me to reboot the computer. Other times it would distort/freeze/then reboot on its own. only a handful of times have I gotten a BSOD and on a rare ocassion the BSOD will produce a technical cause of the error, most times it is attributed to "NVLDDMKM.SYS".i googled that file name and saw that it was related to my nvidia graphics card. I've since updated it with the latest driver, along with drivers for my monitor/audio and chipset.
It used to happen mostly when i brought the PC out of sleep mode and lately it happens when im playing starcraft or even just on my desktop. i had to reboot my pc 3 times just to complete this message (which i had to save to a notepad file and keep adding to it in between reboots...as i write this i am in safe mode. I'll copy/paste this to the board as soon as i reboot into normal mode).
The PC crashed numerous times this morning all within a matter of minutes. i've included a link to a zip file i created which holds all of today's dump files. I'm not sure how to read the dump files but hopefully some one on here can decipher it and point me in the right direction to solving the problem.
View attachment minidump1.zip

My pc info:
HP Pavilion - m9040n
product#: GN553AAR#ABA
s/n: MX473702B1

Mainboard : Asus Berkeley
Chipset : Intel G31/G33/G35
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400 MHz
Physical Memory : 3072 MB
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Hard Disk : Hitachi (320 GB)
Hard Disk : Hitachi (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L ATA Device
Monitor Type : LG Electronics W1952 - 19 inches
Network Card : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Network Card : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional 6.01.7600 (x64)
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index :

Video Card Info:
Manufacturer : Nvidia
Model : NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Bus Type : PCI-Express
Total Memory : 256 MB
Texture Memory : 1521 MB
Processor : GeForce 8400 GS
Converter : Integrated RAMDAC
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 56/75 Hz
Monitor: LG Flatron W1952TQ

This was likely caused by the following module: hardware
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8003AC36C8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8003EF74E0, 0xFFFFF8800F19ECF8, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Uninstall video driver, apply driver sweeper so no tracks of it are left. If nviddmkm.sys is still in C:/windows/system32/drivers, go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sys and copy it to windows/system32. In the cmd window, type expand.exe nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

2. Download and install the latest NVIDIA Forceware for GeForce 8.

3. Reboot

~~~~~~~~

Also, check some trivial things like having sufficient PSU, card health, etc. If this is at hardware end what's causing it.

Something besides the video card drivers are causing issues. It likely is some defect with hardware but it could also be drivers instead.

In addition to Cybercore's helpful post, please update these following drivers:

Code:
Saibad64 Saibad64.sys Mon Oct 27 23:56:15 2008
Sahdad64 Sahdad64.sys Mon Oct 27 23:56:11 2008
SaibVdAd64 SaibVdAd64.sys Mon Oct 27 23:56:20 2008
Download drivers and software for Saitek products

Update the Realtek HD Audio driver:
Code:
RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Aug 04 05:50:52 2009
Realtek

Update your network driver from Intel:

Code:
netr7364 netr7364.sys Wed May 20 04:53:31 2009
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?iid=gg_support-EN_01+home_downloadctr

Update the Conexant modem drivers:

Code:
VSTDPV6  VSTDPV6.SYS  Wed Oct 15 20:57:45 2008
VSTCNXT6 VSTCNXT6.SYS Wed Oct 15 20:52:22 2008
Post new crash dumps after doing the fixes if necessary, please.

Last edited:
Something besides the video card drivers are causing issues. It likely is some defect with hardware but it could also be drivers instead.

In addition to Cybercore's helpful post, please update these following drivers:

Code:
Saibad64 Saibad64.sys Mon Oct 27 23:56:15 2008
Sahdad64 Sahdad64.sys Mon Oct 27 23:56:11 2008
SaibVdAd64 SaibVdAd64.sys Mon Oct 27 23:56:20 2008
Download drivers and software for Saitek products

I visited the Saitek product website but none of the items listed on their site is currently installed (to my knowledge) on my PC.

Then uninstall any Saitek software in the normal method. Regardless if you were able to do that or not, then go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Delete the 3 files shown if they are still there. Use Ccleaner to clean the registry. Reboot.

I deleted the 3 saitek files, ran CC cleaner and deleted those registry files. Rebooted the computer but windows would not start normally. The only option I had was running the Start Up repair option. I cancelled the option to restore it from a previous restore point b/c that restore point was created last week and I was still having problems then as well. At the present moment I am still in the startup repair screen. It is "attempting repairs"....for about the past 10 minutes.

I'm actually submiting this post from my cellphone.

I'll do that now. Just after I was in the process of updating the RealTek audio drivers the PC crashed. Attached below is the dump file.
View attachment 7472

The following module again: hardware
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8003A94028, 0xB2000040, 0x800)

Please follow the above steps suggested by Torrent and me, update the drivers or delete their redundant files. Also, follow the steps suggested in the post #2 of this thread (nvlddmkm.sys).

No promises here, but...

I have the same video card (Asus version) and ran into some lockups. What I had to do to stop this was to go back to Nvidia 196.21 drivers and then uninstall the 3d video drivers from the Control Panel -> Programs and Features dialog.

Except for a small issue when returning after "screen off" timeout the thing's been rock stable ever since.
The timeout problem was worked around by going into power options and setting the screen off time to "Never".

i will try these suggestions in a moment. i could not get back into windows. During the "starting windows" screen a quick flash of a BSOD appears and then it reboots and goes to a dos screen where it gives me a choice to "start windows normally" or "repair your computer". Each time i select the former, it does the same thing. I selected "repair your computer" and the PC was unable to repair the issue preventing me from starting windows. I've since restored it to an earlier point (last night) just after updating the RealTek driver and rebooted the PC and was able to sign into windows but less than 5 minutes back into the PC, it the screen began distorting the display and then froze and eventually rebooted itself.
This time i started it up in safe mode w/ networking.
Once successfully logged in i performed the following tasks in this order:

- deleted nvidia driver from the control panel
- The link for the nvidia file that you, Torrent G, provided i still have in my downloads folder so i did not run it at this time.
- checked device manager for nvidia within the display adapter (but that folder/option was not listed)
- ran a search in the c:\ for "nvlddmkm.sys", i found 3 instances of it. There locations were:
- C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_nv_lh.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_4a5c7d78e486512b
- C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_lh.inf_amd64_neutral_bc69f20e3115af59
- C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_disp.inf_amd64_neutral_0de5f9a0f7594d20
Was not sure which I should run the expand.exe command on or if i should delete all 3 of them so i left it as is.
- Was unable to install the Intel Network driver while in safe mode
- Performed a search for the saitek products/files (Saibad64 & SaibVdAd64), both were within the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder, i deleted them.
- Ran CC cleaner (registry & cleaner options)
- Ran the RealTek driver update
- Rebooted PC into normal mode.
- Upon reaching the "Starting Windows" screen...the display went black and then reappeared at the DOS screen informing me of a "Windows Recovery Error". Same screen i was receiving last night. I opted to restore and rebooted the PC back to Safe Mode w/ Networking.

This time around I will not remove the Saibad64 files.

1. Uninstall video driver, apply driver sweeper so no tracks of it are left. If nviddmkm.sys is still in C:/windows/system32/drivers, go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sys and copy it to windows/system32. In the cmd window, type expand.exe nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Still in Safe mode w/ networking and checked my entire hard drive, there is no instance of "nvlddmkm.sys". Inside the Nvidia folder (c:\nvidia\display drivers\) there is a "nvlddmkm.sy_" file. I copied that into the windows/system32/drivers folder and ran the expand.exe command from the cmd window. I received the following error:
Can't open input file: nvlddmkm.sy_.

Wait,

there is a "nvlddmkm.sy_" file. I copied that into the windows/system32/drivers folder and ran the expand.exe
You were supposed to extract the Forceware that you downloaded, and replace nvlddmkm.sys in your system with the newer one from the Forceware package. I mean you've done it, no need to expand nvlddmkm.sys. (You just needed to extract and copy that file from the forceware you downloaded). : )

If you haven't installed the new driver yet, try to simply delete nvlddmkm.sys. If it doesn't let you delete, then again make sure it's one from the latest software that you have downloaded.

ah ok i misunderstood your original instructions. i am currently working in safe mode because trying to get to the desktop in normal mode just isnt happening. it freezes before i can even put my password in. maybe the 5th reboot will do the trick :)

Since there was no nvlddmkm.sys file in the windows/system32/drivers folder I ran the install of the latest nvidia driver for my card (using the link that TorrentG provided). Rebooted the computer into normal mode and once the windows login screen appeared the screen froze and pixelated and then rebooted on its own.
Received the "Windows as encountered an error" message and i chose to boot it in normal mode again, then the screen went black and reappeared with different discolored blotches on the screen. I powered down the PC and then turned it back on to perform the system restore.

At this point i am about to drop kick this desktop:mad:

My fingers crossed now.

Yes, the idea is to prevent new driver from using old file. Will be perfect if you can delete it completely before installing the new driver.

in a perfect world :)
Just rebooted...had to do the restore again and after it ran in normal mode, it made it up to the "starting windows" mode and then got the BSOD....error casue - nvlddmkm.sys. PC rebooted on its own and is now sitting at a black screen. i've powered it down and then restarted it (in normal mode) and it doesnt produce a display image. The monitor is in power saving mode but he pc was just turned on.

My fingers crossed now.

Yes, the idea is to prevent new driver from using old file. Will be perfect if you can delete it completely before installing the new driver.
im back in safe mode...should i just outright delete the nvidia folder, nvlddmkm.sys file where ever it is on the local hard drive?

edit
while in safe mode i ran a search for the NVLDDMKM.SYS file. there was an instance of it in windows\system32\drivers folder. i renamed it with the .OLD extension but in the c:\nvidia\display drivers\english\ location there was only a ''NVLDDMKM.SY_" file. I tried running the expand command as per your instructions but got the same message as before ("Can't open input file: nvlddmkm.sy_. "). I then tried copying the .sy_ file nto the drivers folder and running the expand command again but it the same error came up.

most recent dump file
View attachment Desktop.zip

Last edited:
Desktop.zip:

This was likely caused by the following module: hardware
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8003A84028, 0xB2000040, 0x800)
Dump file: 081210-25849-01.dmp

This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8004FDE010, 0xFFFFF880048F9140, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Dump file: 081210-36987-01.dmp

Back