Windows 7 Display randomly freezes/distorts

Its definitely a hardware issue. Now whether its the video card or the mother board is another task
Even after having the win7 version of the 196.21 nvidia driver installed it still produced the same error as before. I'm running the pc in safe mode right now and there are slight traces of color distortion on the screen. I've left the pc on overnight as I redownload the starcraft game client. I'm going to purchase a replacement pci express video card today. However, before installing I will reboot the pc in normal mode and retry the HP bios update (originally it is designed for vista 64bit) in compatibility mode

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running the pc in safe mode right now and there are slight traces of color distortion on the screen.
I think you'll do well with the new card. Good luck.

Btw, sincere apologies on editing your post. I was trying to reply to it instead and hit the wrong button. I restored your post to its original state.

no worries. i uninstalled the nvidia card and removed it. i installed the new card (ATI Radeon HD 4650) and ran the latest driver updates from their websites. so far so good

i think the issue is official resolved. i have not had a problem with the PC at all for the past 2 days. i've left it on for several hours (in idle mode as well as playing starcraft2) with no signs of visual distortion of any kind.

Thanks for all the help :)

Thank you for updating the thread, we wish you hours of joy with the new card. Should you experience any problems or have questions, do not hesitate to post them - we'll do our best to help. : )

Yep...same sentiments here. Very glad for ya. Btw, good job running in safe mode to see the display errors. That narrowed down the problem in an excellent manner.

Enjoy!

Hey guys ive got the exact same problem which is random screen freezes although it usually happens only when i m playing hon - heroes of newerth? anyone whomaybe knows what the cause is? Also, ive noticed it happens when i use the keyboard and when other players use the keyboard to chat aswell.

From the look of the thread title, you sound angry. HOW DARE YOU BLAME NVIDIA! :mad: (joking)
Anyway, the problem IS from your driver folder/s.
SO, this is my proposed solution:
DOWNLOAD, BUT DONT INSTALL (Hopefully you know the difference) NVIDIA DRIVERS 306.23WHQL
then, go to safe mode.
Select your start icon, and type "Device Manager" (without the quotations).
Expand the Display Adapters tab, and right-click your graphics card (in this case, Geforce 8400GS). Uninstall it, and delete the driver software too.
Reboot your computer, and wait for ~5 minutes for your computer to recognize the card again.
Reboot your computer ONCE MORE, and INSTALL the new driver.

It should work (that process^^^ above is a safe install), post back later if you want...

Back