Windows 7 Driver Software Installation

mutantsixtyfour

Hi guys,

I seem to have this annoying problem where the window that notifies Windows is downloading and installing drivers for new hardware pops up on my secondary monitor. My secondary monitor however is not a secondary monitor in the sense that it sits on my desktop, but it's a TV for mediacenter purpose.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

It's that one. :)

I realize it only pops up the first time you plug in a device but I use new devices quite frequently and wish to force this pop-up to pop up on my primary monitor.

Thanks,

M64.

Well,, this is most likely a driver issue. Or a configuration issue.

Which video card and driver are you using?
I have a similar setup, but don't have this problem.

The only real option may be to disable dual monitor (cloning or extended views) when not using it.

Hi Tepid,

I'm using a 8800GT with the latest drivers. I've tried uninstalling all my Nvidia drivers, use driver cleaner and cc cleaner, and then reinstalled it, but all without luck..

I am using extended views.

What "configuration issue" could it be?

I will need to check at home, But, in the Nvidia GPU Properties settings window
There should be somewhere to configure Nview, i think. Check that.

Although, I think the easier thing is to disable multiple monitors when you are not using it.

Hi mutant,
if you check my screenshot...

I know your using an nvidia card but if I remember correctly isn't somewhere like in my screenshot where you can dedicate which monitor is the primary?

Hi there Kemical.

I think there seems to be a misunderstanding. I know where to set my primary monitor and I have set the correct one as primary. It's just that one annoying pop-up that decides to show itself on the secondary monitor instead.

Sorry 'bout that I reread your post and saw you'd written about primary ect... I tried googling without much success although this multimonitor FAQ may have clues?? Multi-Monitor FAQ

I'm not sure how it would work with your devices, but in my notification options, I have the device installation feature set to hide?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it would work with your devices, but in my notification options, I have the device installation feature set to hide?

Thing is, I don't care much about the notification icon, it's the window that is annoying me. If I have to disable my secondary monitor or power it on ONLY for one pop-up it's pretty tedious. Not the biggest problem but sure you understand it's annoying.

Man, this might sound silly but I wish more people had/reported this issue, perhaps then it would be easier to solve it.

I guess it's finding the correct 'keyword' to use in a google search... I'll keep looking..

Back