Windows 10 Drivers for windows 10 before upgrade

mart1n

Hi,
I upgraded to windows 10 from win 7 SP1 on my notebook Asus X5DIN 64 bit.
Problem is my wireless did not work anymore. Driver issue it seems.
I had to go back to win 7. Now I can connect to the web again.
Is it possible to get all drivers for windows 10 BEFORE upgrading?
I don't know... download all of them and save them on dvd maybe...

Hi @mart1n Drivers are not my strong point, but I think you can find all your drivers here.
You may get more replies from other members latter.;) You always want to get your drivers from the manufacture IMHO.
It's my thought to always have the wireless adapter driver before up dating. That way you can at least get on the net and get the others.;)
ASUS X5DIN Notebook Drivers Download and Update for Windows 10, 8, 7, XP and Vista
PS Welcome to the forum!

There's nothing for win 10 in there.
Asus gives no drivers for win 10 either.

Hi Mart1n,
as you may have discovered laptop or notebook drivers are always supplied from the manufacturer apart from some gpu drivers. If you use drivers from other sites then you may well end up with blue screens so always use ASUS drivers.

I checked your systems support page, which for you is the first place to look and unfortunately driver support stops at Windows 7.

The only driver updates that might possibly be available are those which come via Windows update. If I were you I'd check forums which related to ASUS and ASUS laptops as someone may have found a work around..

Here's a few I found:
Laptop Forums

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-

Asus

Sorry I have to rush out but checking a ASUS forum might help?

there is a small software thats called slimdriver see if that helps the last resorse its free and if you do get slimdriver pay good attention on the installation so you dont istall other things just slim driver

As I mentioned earlier, only use the drivers found on the Asus site.

Do not use any application which claim to find drivers for you as invariably they get it wrong and as I said the drivers need to be from or off the Asus support page.

If you cannot find enough driver support then I advise you to go back to Windows 7 and see if the situation improves. As mentioned you can always check with an ASUS forum if anything new, driver wise, has been released.

Hehe you beat me to it Gary.. :)

Hi @Sandbox ! This forum does not recommend 3rd party driver programs!
That program is loaded with PUPs and not recommended by the forum!
ok do you guys have a list of whats supported and what not, i used it for a while and no issue , I used it in clients too
I'm a bit confused when you say the third-party software ,even an anti-virus is a third-party software or anti-malware because Microsoft as his own built-in so is ththere a list that you guys don't support if any can have it thanks

Last edited:
We are only talking 3rd party driver programs.;) @kemical has made it very plain why we don't recommend them.
They are fine for professionals that know how, and when to use them, but not for the average person!

Have you tried to go into your device manager and uninstalling the driver? If you haven't you might try that. Once uninstalled restart your computer and see if it updates to a newer driver. I do use a third party for updating my drivers on my desktop without any problems but would try doing it through device manager first.

Kemical, I think you are right. That is why I mentioned I had a desktop. I have used it on a laptop as last resort and it was ok. I just don't feel comfortable doing a laptop that way. I think the best is to use device manager and if that doesn't work then take the chance and go the other route if all else fails.

Hi! My thinking is a 3rd partly driver program may work just fine; if you know what you're doing. I also have used Slim Drivers and I think it is probably the best one I have seen. I have it on my desk top now. If I scan with it, it will come up with 0 up dates for my Toshiba lappy.
It is very friendly user and creates a back up that you can roll back to, which is a very nice feature.
I think they have gotten a bad rap in the past and people have gotten burned with them!
That's my thoughts:D

As Holdum333 say's it may work just fine but that will probably be more out of luck than anything else.

The true fact of the matter is that your trying to use an operating system on a machine which is unsupported.

Maybe W10 will keep your drivers up to date. I have heard no way to shut this off with W10 Home?? What you all think about this??
Update Your Hardware Drivers With Windows Update
Assuming you’re using Windows 10, Windows Update will automatically download and install the latest drivers for you. Windows 7 and 8 provided driver updates via Windows Update, too, but Microsoft is being much more aggressive about this in Windows 10. It all happens automatically. Even if you install your own hardware drivers, Windows will automatically overwrite them when a new version is available.

This is the automatic, set-it-and-forget-it solution. You don’t need a driver-updating utility because Windows has one built-in.

img_563987793e4e2.png

The only driver updates that might possibly be available are those which come via Windows update. If I were you I'd check forums which related to ASUS and ASUS laptops as someone may have found a work around..

Maybe W10 will keep your drivers up to date. I

I found Windows update did not give me all the drivers. The only way I got my drivers updated was through device manager. I had six drivers that updated that way that Windows 10 update did not give me.

Hi @Sonny I have no clue. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! This is what HTG says about W10. I don't know if it's true or not??? I believe every thing HTG says!!
Assuming you’re using Windows 10, Windows Update will automatically download and install the latest drivers for you. Windows 7 and 8 provided driver updates via Windows Update, too, but Microsoft is being much more aggressive about this in Windows 10. It all happens automatically. Even if you install your own hardware drivers, Windows will automatically overwrite them when a new version is available.

Back