Windows 10 DVD burning problem

I have several kids movies on my laptop. I want to burn them on to a DVD-RW so the lads can watch them when ever and I don't need to collect the laptop to the TV.

I burned a Movie to a DVD and it worked fine but none of the next movies will work. Then burn on the DVD but wont play on my DVD player.

I have a Toshiba satellite with windows 10. I have tried using windows media player and also right click on the DVD-Rw in file explorer and use the burn option from there.

Is there a setting missing to allow DVD play on my player.

Video DVD's are in a special format. You will find on them a VIDEO_TS directory with .BUP, .IFO and .VOB files.
You will need a special program, capable of generating these files from your home made videos.
And you need a program to write these files to DVD, neither Imgburn nor the Media Player will do that.
Your DVD player won't accept something else

Look at NLE's like Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Movie Studio or Magic Video de Luxe, you can edit your videos with them and they will produce the directory structure for you and can burn your DVD.

Another possibility may be to put your video on an USB stick and plug that in to your TV. Most TV's will accept that these days. You don't need the format of a video DVD there.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Most NLE's are free for a month or so. Read the specs and system requirements and try one.
There seem to be free products, but very often they lack something important like exporting.

Video editing is very nice to do, great fun, but it takes a learning time and hours and hours to make a movie. The results are always great, but if you are only interested in making the movies of the kids available you may be better of by putting them on a USB stick.

Hi

You can use Windows Movie Maker to do it for free.
It's part of the Windows Live package that you can download.

Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows

I use Adobe Premiere Elements which is pretty easy to use and lets you do a professional looking job.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6526391...77&sr=8-1&keywords=adobe+premiere+elements+13

You can get a free trial version good for 30 days, on the Adobe website.

Mike

PS. I may be wrong but I seem to remember something about not using DVDRW disks for video!
I believe that you should use a normal DVD.

Last edited:
Hi

You can use Windows Movie Maker to do it for free.
It's part of the Windows Live package that you can download.

Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows

I use Adobe Premiere Elements which is pretty easy to use and lets you do a professional looking job.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6526391...77&sr=8-1&keywords=adobe+premiere+elements+13

You can get a free trial version good for 30 days, on the Adobe website.

Mike

PS. I may be wrong but I seem to remember something about not using DVDRW disks for video!
I believe that you should use a normal DVD.

Don't think movie maker works on windows 10 for some reason.

I think you might be on to something with the DVD, not sure why but the first movie I burned worked find and played number of times. tried to play it yesterday and it wouldn't work. (cant play this DVD) came up on the player. strange.

What do you mean normal DVD, most are RW or just R.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
There are a number of DVD standards: DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW.
And you have different brands.

What your player and burner supports is listed in the manual. Besides that not every brand will perform well in your player or burner. So a kind of a gamble.

The most mormal type is DVD+R

Hi

At one time (a while back) I remember that it was stated "Do not use DVD RW (Re-writable) disks for movie DVDs".
I don't know that this is still true but I've never done it as bochane said I've always used DVD+R disks.

Mike

Back