Windows 7 DVD/CD only works after reboot

cjrenick

I have been researching online the last couple days with no luck. My DVD/CD RW driver will only work after cpu is rebooted. It will play the dvd/cd, but when you eject and then reload it will not play. Reboot and it will work once. I have tried the following from my search online.

1. Press Windows R, type regedit and press enter.
2. Open the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart computer.

Tried to rename drive to K
Ran the windows fix it program
Delete and reinstalled driver

Nothing is working. I would hate to have to reboot the computer everytime I want to use the DVD/CD drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it ever work right? When did the problem start?
How is the drive connected to the computer? Internal? External? EIDE, SATA, eSATA, USB?
When it stops, any errors in Device Manager?
How old is the computer? And problems with Date and Time being way off?

Yes in the past have had no issues. I am not sure when it started, have not used that drive in probably 6 months. The driver is internal. I guess I do not understand what you mean by EIDE, SATA, eSATA. There is no error codes/message. It will just not play the DVD/CD. The computer is about 3 years old. The date and time are fine. I can copy and burn one DVD. Then when I try to do the next nothing will happen. The drive shows up on the computer, but it will not function. I then have to reboot the computer and it will work again for one DVD copy/burn.

What about a driver update....no mention of that so far. It's a good possibility that the drive good be going bad. My cd/dvd drive is about 6 years old...never had a problem it until a few months ago...push the button to open drive...it just sticks..I've cleaned the drive, used the pin hole...symptom just keeps coming back. I'm replacing mine....they are cheap, less than $20.

I tried that and it says driver is up to date. It just seems like if it is going bad then it would work more intermittently and not with every reboot. Like I said as long as I do a reboot it works like one time then it does not work.

Did you try the vendors site for an updated driver. MS updates does not always find or install the correct driver and the same goes for updating drivers using device manager. Always update drivers directly from the vendors web site.

Back
Top Bottom