Windows 10 EMERGENCY - Boot Loop After Win Update

xlook

Today I updated to latest major win 10 update. But just it finished updating the updayes made my PC go on a boot loop which never boots to the desktop. I tried mamually restarting but the PC keeps boot looping. What do I do???!!

You may want to try booting to the recovery environment and rollback the update. Pressing F8 during boot or just power the computer on and off a few times should force it to the recovery screen.

You may want to try booting to the recovery environment and rollback the update. Pressing F8 during boot or just power the computer on and off a few times should force it to the recovery screen.
I'm at the recovery environment. How do I roll back the update?

wusa /uninstall /kb:2744842 /quiet /forcestart substitute the number of the update you want to remove. You can do this from the command prompt available in the recovery console.

wusa /uninstall /kb:2744842 /quiet /forcestart substitute the number of the update you want to remove. You can do this from the command prompt available in the recovery console.

Hey man.. I don't fully understand what you meant by that. Could you articulate what you meant by:
"wusa /uninstall /kb:2744842 /quiet /forcestart"?

In installed updates look for the kb number, in that command you put that number where the 2744842 is in the example and it'll uninstall said update

In installed updates look for the kb number, in that command you put that number where the 2744842 is in the example and it'll uninstall said update
Hey dude. How do I find out which update caused this bootloop? I know when it happened.. but I don't know the exact update. Hope you can help with that.

From the command prompt type powershell<enter> to drop into a powershell prompt then type
Get-HotFix | Sort InstalledOn -Decending

You won't be able to tell, but it's likely the last one(s)

From the command prompt type powershell to drop into a powershell prompt then type
Get-HotFix | Sort InstalledOn -Decending

You won't be able to tell, but it's likely the last one(s)
No offense.. but are you sure you know what youre doing? I entered the commands as you asked and it says the syntax is wrong. Look at the attached image for the errors
3c2a59967fa9efa6c0ea481fd2c6cf48.jpg

Do I know what I'm doing, most of the time certainly. Do I make it a point to memorize every tool available in WinRE nope not at all.

You can try running the following from command prompt. wmic qfe list
Hey man,

I entered your command and I took a pic. Check it out. If this lists the latest updates it's strange cuz according to the results it says 2/13/2018. That makes no sense since the latest update attenpted was 3 - 4 days ago.

Didn't mean any offense in my last reply. Just extremely frustrated about my PC. Hope you understand. I really do appreciate your help.

Let me know the next steps. Thanks man.

43394b2b890da62524c887be09941c0b.jpg

When you do a build upgrade you will only see updates that install after the upgrade since the previous updates are bundled into the build. Based on your current version 10586 you're no longer on a support build. On another computer I would download a newer build such as 1709 or 1803 and install that. There is an option to keep data and programs.

On another computer I would download a newer build such as 1709 or 1803 and install that. There is an option to keep data and programs.

I tried the option in win PE to reset but keep my files. But it doesn't work.

Not exactly sure what you want me to do regarding downloading a build to another computer. How would I transfer a newer build from one PC to my PC?

Downloaded Windows 10 and create a boot DVD or usb and install. You'll have the option to upgrade

That windows 10 is severely out of date. Quickest way back to fully updated would be the media creation tool or the windows upgrade tool.

Back