Windows 7 error code 0x8007045D win 7

blitzgeist

I am trying a fresh install of win 7 ultimate after installing a new hdd (it is compatable). After a period of time the following error pops up:
error code 0x8007045D win 7

I am trying to run chkdsk ?:/f on a PC that has windows and is running using an usb connection to the disk that I want to check

My problem is when I enter cmd mode it automatically only shows
C:\ etc.
What I need to do is change the drive letter to check the other hdd connected to the usb e.g e:

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

You may find the error code is due to a read error on the dvd - try cleaning it.

to check a specific drive just define the drive letter after the command:

chkdsk X:

where X is the drive you want to check

Last edited:
If you are currently running Win 7, and you open Computer does the drive show in the window?

If it does, can you go to properties and tools and check for errors?

But your post is a little confusing. If your problem is you get the error when you try to install, do you have both drives installed? Could you boot to the DVD normally? How large is the drive?

If you are trying to install Windows 7 to an external drive, I don't think it will do that.

You may find the error code is due to a read error on the dvd - try cleaning it.

to check a specific drive just define the drive letter after the command:

chkdsk X:

where X is the drive you want to check

Many thanks. What significance does the (?:/f) have?
I saw that in another post that is what threw me

Sorry for the confusion it's just that I am confused.
I have attached a 250Gb laptop hdd to my PC using a usb 2.0 to sata/ide adapter with power adapter.
I can see the drive showing. When I click properties tools select auto fix file sytem errors and sca and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
The process starts gets to about 74000 of whatever it is checking then switches off??

I hope that I have made it a little more clear. i get lost in the process sometimes.
thanks for your help

The /f parameter attempts to fix any errors found. See here for a full list of parameters:

Chkdsk

Has the drive you are using had any previous partitioning etc set up on it or is it just a single physical drive? You can examine what is set up on the drive by going to:

control panel, administrative tools, computer management, storage, disk management.

Back