Windows 8 Error while booting

Aeddings29

Okay, I updated my HP laptop about three weeks ago to Windows 10 and decided to go back to Windows 8.1 today. I went to the update settings and it gave me the option to go back, so I did and I let it go through the process and it rebooted and went to my original Windows 8.1 start screen where I entered my login info. After that, it went to a blue screen that said please wait, then began flashing between a blue screen and a black screen. I tried restarting it, but it just does the same thing, except now it doesn't give the chance to login. Occasionally, an error message box will pop up with the following message:

The exception unknown software exception 0xc0000417 occurred in the application at location 0x6a170468.

I have absolutely no idea what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated as I was laid off last week and need my computer to job hunt and work on my resume.

I would start by seeing if you can boot into safe mode. Try one of the following methods to access safe mode. 5 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 8.1 I would also focus on the 0xc0000417 error. Errors that start with 0x8 are operating system or kernel mode driver errors if its 0x7 or lower than it occurs in user space and should not crash the computer. I don't see a 417 error in the Windows system errors, so it might be a third party driver error. Some applications such as AV have filter drivers as an example.

Back