Explorer.exe corrupted or missing

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Anonymous891, May 24, 2014.

1. Anonymous891

Anonymous891 New Member

May 24, 2014
    OK so everytime at startup for the past three days, my desktop is blank with no taskbar. I have to open task manager and kill process "explorer.exe" and run it again. Is there any fix to this problem?
  2. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Mar 1, 2012
    There's probably something interfering. I would bet my bucks on a virus or other malware, or something related, perhaps a linked program you've downloaded. An ever increasing problem is attachments that come automatically when you download and install something.

Two easy ways to check it:
    1. Pick a Restore Point at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery > Open System Recovery. After clicking "Next" you'll see options, plus tick box "Show more restore points". Take one earlier than your problems started.
    2. Take a look at what you have installed in the past few days, in Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features, or via Revo Uninstaller, uninstall whatever you may suspect = everything new.

Plus: in any case you should hunt down any possible threats = do a thorough scan with your Antivirus and, say, Malwarebyte.

Must ask: it is Explorer.exe, not Explore.exe which is known as a vicious one? Although the latter may be obsolete by now.

Best wishes.