Windows 7 File/folder that is evidently on desktop cannot be found

Pat, are you still there? Yo-hooo...why'd you go quiet on me?

Attachments

• idunno.gif
    idunno.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 346
Just had my evening meal ;) Run the move on boot proram and if there are files listed in the main window, select all the listed files, press delete to remove them from the window. Then click on the "delete" pulldown list in the top ribbon and select "delete file" or "delete folder" depending on which you want to do. In the popup window that appears click on the three dots button to navigate to the file you want to delete. Select it then click on the button in the top ribbon to "restart windows".

Last edited:
Just had my evening meal ;) Run the move on boot proram and if there are files listed in the main window, select all the listed files, press delete to remove them from the window. Then click on the "delete" pulldown list in the top ribbon and select "delete file" or "delete folder" depending on which you want to do. In the popup window that appears click on the three dots button to navigate to the file you want to delete. Select it then click on the button in the top ribbon to "restart windows".
Pat, there are just two measly files showing up:

Could not find item_5.jpg

does this look right? Oh I see now they're in the recycle bin. Hmm...this gets curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited:
The program has detected those as junk and selected them for you - you may leave them there if you wish. Then just goto the Drop down delete menu as described above to select the file(s)/folder(s) which you want deleted. The click on restart.

The program has detected those as junk and selected them for you - you may leave them there if you wish. Then just goto the Drop down delete menu as described above to select the file(s)/folder(s) which you want deleted. The click on restart.
But dear Pat - the problem is not just with the Womack & Womack folders in the example pics. It is system-wide. I can't rename any file or folder anywhere.

Are you climbing to get to tier 1 moderator?;)

Last edited:
I can't rename any file or folder anywhere.
if you already know them.
Hadn't understood that - absolutely impossible to delete/rename any file/folder anywhere? It sounds to me like there may be a serious corruption in windows explorer. To check out this theory try running a command prompt as administrator, navigate to your desktop folder and try to delete the file on the desktop from there. If you need me to list all the DOS commands you will need the let me know - not worth me listing it all.

Are you climbing to get to tier 1 moderator?
wink.png
Reckon I should get that if we sort this!

No Pat, I can delete a file/folder allright as well as copy or move - I just can't rename them. Like, if I want to create a new sub-folder within my pictures folder I can do that OK. But if I try and rename it 'Windows 7 Forums-related' it's 'Cannot find...' yet again.
But I'll run a cmd session as admin and fiddle around and see what gives.

I just ran a DOS session and MD'd a folder named test. I then RENamed it taste and got no grief...it's now named taste.

Edit: Ditto with an existing file on the d/t. How do you figure this Pat?

Last edited:
The fact that it can be done from a DOS command but not from Windows explorer strongly suggests corruption of Windows Explorer and/or some system files associated with it.

I'd first try running a system file check - goto a command prompt and enter the command:

sfc /scannow

It might also be a virus infection so I'd try running a full scan with malwarebytes.

If neither of those come up with anything I'd try a system restore back to some time which predates the first occurrence of the problem. If all these fail we may be facing more serious action such as a repair install.

"The fact that it can be done from a DOS command but not from Windows explorer strongly suggests corruption of Windows Explorer and/or some system files associated with it."

Yes. I wish there were some way to exchange the corrupt Windows Explorer for a new one like when you change lightbulbs ;)

"I'd first try running a system file check - goto a command prompt and enter the command:

sfc /scannow"

I started that right after reading through your post. Checking back now, I see that it exited beforetime:

Scannow.jpg

looks to me like there's something fishy. It's viruslike behavior to halt attempts to discover it I think. Or it's that the system files are corrupt and that's why the program exited. Is there a way to run scannow 'verbose' and perhaps pipe the output to a .txt file?

Also, does the trial of Malwarebytes do a complete scan or a half-baked one after which it asks for money?

If so, there is always Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 which has saved me once before. Please advice.

Malwarebytes is a respected product and will run a complete scan for you. You are correct in expressing concern for sfc closing early. Try mbam and see what it reports.

Mbam is running right now, I checked their faq in the meanwhile and as you say they're on the up-and-up. Mbam thank you ma'm. I'll report back of course - I think we're onto something here and if so it'll be all thanks to you.

Come to think of it not every mouse-click has 'caught' lately but I have sometimes had to click repeatedly to 'get through'. Seems like interception - someone else 'on the line', a latency.

I've had this happen to me before (back-door trojan) but then it felt as though the PC was 'not all there', 'otherwise occupied' as it were. Like when you're trying to have a conversation with somebody who's mind is elsewhere, you know?

Will be a bit on and off line tonight but will try and keep an eye on things. Yet to try system restore then see how things stand.
No my friend, we will not try system restore becuse (drum roll)...you did it!! :D On your suggestion to get and run Malwarebytes, look what a list of plug-uglies it came up with:

PUP.RiskwareTool
Trojan.Dropper
RiskWareTool.CK
Trojan.Dropper
PUP.InstallBrain
Hijack.SearchPage
Hijack.StartPage

and several instances of each in every nook and cranny. Phew, what a relief to be rid of those rotten eggs.

Remember I asked you yesterday "Are you climbing to get to tier 1 moderator?" :wink3: to which you replied: "Reckon I should get that if we sort this!"

Well, I reckon too. I posted this problem here and over at HowToGeek simultaneously, and from all helpful replies and hints yours was the one that clinched it.

In fact, the thread 'died' at HTG after a few days and had to be revived - still nothing. But you toughed it out with me; m
y hat's off to you sir. And to the Malwarebytes people of course.

Best regards,
Göran

PS: Now it's off to HTG to tell them of your exploit.

Great to hear - and congratulations on methodically working through it, many would have thrown the towel in and reinstalled the entire system.

May be a good time to review your AV and backup strategies ;)

Thank you for your kind words. I might have 'thrown the towel in and reinstalled the entire system' only it would have been too easy.

But, I am almost sure I would have given up long before this had I not had yourself and the other members of the communities I am part of to fall back on.

Ideally, everybody who sticks it out like this and goes the distance with someone in trouble, pays attention and rack their little brains, come out somewhat the wiser for it.

"May be a good time to review your AV and backup strategies..." Yes sir. The point is not lost on me. :D

Back
Top Bottom