Windows 7 Folder organization won't stick

Chaosfreet

After I forced a shutdown on my computer recently, and rebooted it, all of my folders have gotten all messed up.

Before that, folders with lots of pictures used to show icons by default etc., and the file organization was completely different. Now, I can reorganize everything as much as I want, but when I close the folder and open it back up again, nothing has sticked. I might as well not have done it at all. What should I do?

EDIT: I managed to fix it myself by deleting explorer.exe and copying a new one from the backup.

EDIT2: The problem seems to persist every time I reboot the computer though. I wonder what's up. For now I'll have to copy and paste the exe every time I boot it up I guess. Kind of stupid.

Last edited:
I sure wish Microsoft would concentrate their efforts on creating a truly good and stable OS, instead of working with new versions in order to create sales.

First... Windows 7 is the greatest thing since, well, since anything. Have you seen how blue those blues are? Who cares if it's half as functional as XP? It does slow transitions when you close things for crying out loud! I may not be able to find, organize or share my files, but who cares when I can go to Facebook? That's what computers are for, Facebook. Second... remember, there's no profit in a cure. Fixing problems doesn't keep the wallet fat, only selling new problems.

As far as I can tell, you could try a Restoration Point from before the forced shutdown. Might help?

Hmm. When I open System Restore there's strangely only one Restoration Point to choose from, and that's from yesterday. I thought they were automatically made every day?

I guess I'm out of luck. Damn.

Ah, I figured something out. When I ran explorer.exe without admin privileges, it ran it messed up, but when I ran it with with admin privileges it was fixed. This means whenever the computer boots it runs explorer.exe without admin rights. How should I make it run explorer.exe as admin whenever the computer boots?

It is hard for us to understand what might be happening when we can't actually see it. But if your system works from one use account, and not another, you may have different settings for each, or perhaps one was damaged.

Have you tried going to folder options and using the Reset Folders or Restore Defaults on the View Tab?

Don't know if it will help, but you might try running a System File Check. Open an Administrative command prompt windows and type:

SFC /scannow

and let it finish. Post back if it says it cannot repair any files.

Basic: are you the Admin in Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts

It is hard for us to understand what might be happening when we can't actually see it. But if your system works from one use account, and not another, you may have different settings for each, or perhaps one was damaged.
I've only got one account on this computer. I'll try running the SFC then. EDIT: It didn't really fix anything. It only managed to mess my desktop up even further.

Basic: are you the Admin in Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts

Yes, the only account on the computer is the admin account, and I'm using it.

Last edited:
Well, two points. SFC will never mess up your system. It is designed to replace system files that may have been damaged or corrupted.

Also, you run an account, which is not an admin account, but a normal user with admin privileges. Elevating to admin privileges gives you more ability to effect your system. If you need to elevate to admin privileges to set your folder organization, then your system is not set up correctly.

Have you modified your system, in any way, from the default install?

No, I don't think I've modified it in any way at all.

I tried to mess with the settings of the explorer.exe as well, but that didn't do anything. I still need to run it with admin rights to fix the problem even if I give myself full rights to it.

Last edited:
You don't have to mess with the explorer.exe, I'd say that's for sure. Explorer.exe follows other and general settings of the system. Messing with it will probably do either nothing, or worsen things.

I'd agree with Saltgrass: "Have you modified your system, in any way, from the default install?" SOMETHING has happened, and it would be most important if you could somehow figure out what it was. A small program you installed? Joined a new Forum? Something?

Back