Windows 10 For diehard Classic Shell users

davidhk129

MS does not want you to use Classic Shell in build 9879, and will block you from installing it.
But you can beat the blocking by simply renaming the installer.
I couldn't help but broke out laughing when I read that "work around" part. So easy and simple it's comical.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Blocks-Classic-Shell-in-Windows-10-Build-9879-465429.shtml

I am just posting the news which I came across.
My intention is not to initiate a debate on why we should or should not use it on a beta OS .

Members can respond/remark/comment whichever way they wish.

Why does MS have such an obsession with people that want a traditional Windows startup menu instead of what they want to push?
Joe

To play the devil advocate.......

MS probably wants us to test the product without the embellishments of 3rd party programs.
That way, they will get the "true" feedbacks from users.
Perhaps MS would rather hear us saying "this Start Menu sucks, it can't do this and it can't do that", than to hear us telling them " we use Classic Shell. We like it better. "

In a way, I understand the rationale.

Hi

When I started this I made the decision to not install any 3rd party software that modified the Windows environment.
My only addition is Rocketdock which I have used in every version of Windows for years.

I just keeps my from having icons all over my desktop, and makes everything open with a click.

But I'm finding that Windows 10s interface really doesn't make me yearn to install anything else.
I'm finding it easy and intuitive to use, just the way it is.

In many ways it makes geeky things like Device Manager, Disk Management etc, much easier to get to.

Granted Rocketdock kind of replaces the start menu, for commonly used software but beyond that I don't feel the need to use anything else.

Mike

I have not found any problem using Classic Shell on Windows 10. Classic Shell installed without any problem and it's working on my Windows 10. I have build 9879 32 bit which I installed though Windows Update not the ISO.
The only problem I have notices is that when you set the navigation pane in Classic Explorer to to Windows XP Classic, the icons in Windows Explorer disappear. Though this does not happen when you set it to Windows XP Simple or Windows Vista style. But I expect this will be fixed in the new version of Classic Shell. Otherwise it's working on Windows 10 and so is Ribbon Disabler which disables the ribbon.

ClshellWin10 (640x375).jpg

Last edited:
Hi

When I started this I made the decision to not install any 3rd party software that modified the Windows environment.
My only addition is Rocketdock which I have used in every version of Windows for years.

I just keeps my from having icons all over my desktop, and makes everything open with a click.

But I'm finding that Windows 10s interface really doesn't make me yearn to install anything else.
I'm finding it easy and intuitive to use, just the way it is.

In many ways it makes geeky things like Device Manager, Disk Management etc, much easier to get to.

Granted Rocketdock kind of replaces the start menu, for commonly used software but beyond that I don't feel the need to use anything else.

Mike

Yes Windows 10 does have it's own start menu which is a bit like Windows 7's except for a few differences. You cannot add the "Run" command to the start menu. It's only there when you right click with your mouse and the programs menu is gone. now all of the programs on your desktop are just added to the start menu. Where as on the Windows 7 start menu they are all in the Programs folder on the menu.

But the default start menu on 10 is usable and can be used alone without CS or Start Menu 7. Meaning you can find all of the settings the same as on Windows 7. Where as on Windows 8 it was more difficult if you are using the Metro Start menu alone. So you had to install Classic Shell on 8.

Win10 build3 (640x375).jpg

"Run" is under the "All Apps" - system folder, Andrea. You can even put it in as a tile, if that is the preference.

Thanks Dave. As it happens you are right about Classic Shell. My Windows 10 crashed this afternoon and I had to re-install Windows 10 from scratch and Classic Shell would not install unless I changed the exe file name. So it seems that there is no problem with the upgrade install. Though if you do a clean install then you cannot install CS unless you rename the file to something else. Another problem I am having is that there is no way at all to change the network settings from Public network to private. I have posted a thread about it here-
http://windowsforum.com/threads/no-way-to-change-network-settings-from-public-to-private-on-windows-10.201269

Back
Top Bottom