Windows 7 Former Bluetooth Connected Device Under My Computer

Lottario

Hey everyone,

A while back I connected my laptop (running 64-bit Windows 7, if that matters) via Bluetooth to my girlfriend's Macbook (which she no longer has, hopefully that doesn't matter) to send some pictures to her. Since then, her Macbook has appeared under the Computer screen for me. I would like to get rid of it, but I can't figure out how.

If I double click on it, nothing happens, and if I right click, I only get three options, Open (doesn't do anything), Open in New Window (doesn't do anything), and Create Shortcut.
When selected, a properties button appears next to System Properties, but if I click on it, I get the error message "The properties for this item are not available". The title bar for that error says "Desktop" instead of the name of the Macbook, if that means anything.

In searching around the internet, I found that this may have been caused by the device still existing in either Device Manager, or my Bluetooth devices list. While it wasn't under Device Manager, I did manage to find it under Bluetooth devices, and remove it. This, however, didn't fix the problem.

I also saw it suggested that cleaning the registry could possibly remove it, so I tried that using CCleaner, but still no luck. I've completely run out of ideas, and can't seem to find anything else on it, so I was hoping someone here might know how to stop this Macbook from showing up for me.

Thanks very much in advance!

EDIT: I've attached a screenshot of the problem to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

computer.png

Hi Pat, thanks for the quick reply!

I deleted the iconcache file and rebooted, but the Macbook icon is still there.

Hey Pat,

After looking through the registry a bit (I would've had no idea where in the registry to look without the link, so thanks for finding that :) ), I managed to get rid of the unwanted icon.

If anyone is having the same problem in the future, you'll find it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\

Thanks very much for your help Pat :)

Is it listed under the Network area, and I assume you have at least two networks, the normal and Bluetooth? Have you tried reconnecting, then removing it from the networked devices, if you can?

You said you used the Devices and Printers dialog to unsync the device, which should have gotten rid of it. You might change the settings on your Blue Tooth so it doesn't automatically join with devices.

If all else fails, check the Device Manager and use the View menu to show hidden devices. Maybe it could be uninstalled from there.

Hey Pat,

After looking through the registry a bit (I would've had no idea where in the registry to look without the link, so thanks for finding that :) ), I managed to get rid of the unwanted icon.

If anyone is having the same problem in the future, you'll find it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\

Thanks very much for your help Pat :)

Glad to hear it's sorted - thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom