Windows 7 former mac user needs help: hide dock; get rid of web launcher at start up

ibclare

Hi, I tried searching the forum first but . . .
I recently reformatted my HP and though I figured out once before how to get rid of HP QuickWeb at start-up and permanently hide the dock, it seems I have gone senile; just can't figure it out. Maybe because a couple other weird glitches occurred and I'm getting frustrated with Windows (although 1 problem was with MS Outlook resetting my account to garbage address and the other with HP printer working one day then totally unrecognized the next). Anyway, I'm getting ready to take my HP back to Costco and find the bills for a Mac. But I'm not really serious . . .
Thanks. I know someone can help me; after all, I helped myself once. Where's the embarrassed smiley?

Last edited:
Disabled Quick Web but not the dock

OK, I found the disable option for QuickWeb, but still haven't found how to get the dock off my desktop.

Re: Disabled Quick Web but not the dock

Hi. When you say the Dock, are3 you refering to the Taskbar?

Andacar

Those menu docks from the manufacturer can have any of several different names
HP has called them "Advisor Dock", "Application Laucher", "Smart Media Menu", "Quick Launcher", etc., Probably any number of other names that I don't know or recall.
Prehaps the best bet would be to type
msconfig
into the search or run dialog box and select the "Start Up" tab and take a look in that list and see if you can figure it out.
You can turn items on and off (stop them from starting at system start up) by simply unchecking their associated checkbox.
If you see some likely candidates you can try to google them and see if you can find out what they are, or perhaps post a list back here and maybe someone with an hp (List the model name and number) will have some specific information that might help.
You can also type
msinfo32
into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
Expand "Software Enrironment" and select "Startup Programs" that may provide some additional insight as to the application name as well as the location that's firing the application (Startup folder, or registry).
Hope this helps
Regards
Randy

Last edited:

Ah, ty Trouble. I think you solved mine. The HP help guy went to this window and I thought he reconfigured it, but it looks like he chose Quick Launch and it was the HP Advisor Dock that I want removed. At least that's the only item I found that was called "dock." So, I'm going to restart now and see if it worked. I'll let you know. Andacar, not the taskbar; I like that actually.

Last edited:

singin: Oh yeah, no more Trouble. Ha ha; sry bout the bad pun. I imagine you've heard them all. TY so much. Actually, I disabled that quick web thing on startup, so I have no idea what HP guy did. But then, I've had probs with this HP since I reformatted. Had to reinstall my printer driver 3 times and had to connect via USB last time. Glad I saved the driver in docs after that 2nd time. What do you think of HP products? I'm getting to be a disgruntled customer . . .

Glad to hear that you have managed to resolve your issue. Double check your mention of the "Quick Launch" application in the above post as that may have an impact on your ability to use some of the special keyboard keys to launch various applications from a single keyboard stroke (media, email, web, etc.,).
Personally, I've always thought that HP/Compaq have made pretty good desktops and servers. I've had some issues personally with some of their laptop models (I have three setting on a shelf next to me right now, that will not run nor charge using the factory AC adapter due to a problem with cold solder joints where the receptacle for the plug attachs to the Motherboard.) Fortunately I have a docking station which works for two of them, so I'm getting by. But all my present and future laptop purchases will probably be Dell. Just bought a new one for my daughter and she (and by extension me) seems to be quite happy with it. Of course it's brand new so that may very well change as well.
Best wishes and hope to continue to see you around the forums.
Randy

Hmmm, maybe it's not the Quick Launch I was thinking of and that is what the HP guy unchecked. What I disabled is that web access that shows up before windows starts. Win7 thing? "may have an impact on your ability to use some of the special keyboard keys to launch various applications from a single keyboard stroke (media, email, web, etc.,). Not sure about that since I don't use that capability anyway. In fact, I suppose I only use the computer for a ortion of what it can really do. Tx again.

Back
Top Bottom