Windows 7 Frequent BSOD even after replacing mobo and CPU

Doesn't seem to be an Rt64win7.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers that I can see. Would it be in one of the subdirs of that? I don't see Afc.sys in there, either.

And yeah, I've not seen any bluescreens lately. Knock wood.

Alright then, don't worry about anything else. Sit tight, use the machine all you see fit.

If/when new crashes happen, we shall handle anything else that needs it. Good luck.

Okay, going to attach the newest output from msinfo32 now, for good measure.

Could it, or the minidump files, be seeing stuff from the Windows.old and Windows.old.000 and Windows.old.001 folders, even though they're no longer functionally part of the OS?

Attachments

• Newer msinfo32 output.txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 440
Could it, or the minidump files, be seeing stuff from the Windows.old and Windows.old.000 and Windows.old.001 folders, even though they're no longer functionally part of the OS?

No. You should copy anything out of those folders that you want to keep. Then use the built-in disk cleanup utility in Windows to get rid of those folders. You'll have to check the appropriate box to do so, while using. I think it will be called Previous Windows Installations.

Type disk cleanup in the start menu then press enter.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930527

Last edited:
On the other hand, is there any way to revert back to one of the Windows.old folders? Say, if I went back to the old mobo and the old CPU?

If you did that, then a clean install of Windows while formatting, is as high of a recommendation that I could possibly ever make.

Still crash free now?

Well, everything continued working fine for the rest of the session, I also restarted once or twice to be sure everything was fine. After that I went into one of the VR worlds for awhile... then powered down and went to bed.

Today, I turn the machine on, it starts loading Windows, gets as far as the Starting Windows splash screen, where the colored dots coalesce into the Windows logo... and it hangs (if it helps, it's at the point when there's three little dots set diagonally). And all disk activity stops. What could this mean?

(Turns machine back off, restarts it...)

It recommended Startup Repair, so I let it do that. Seems to be taking awhile.

Okay, after maybe 15 minutes of that, it came back with the recommendation that if I'd added some new device to the computer, please uninstall it and start it again. Should I have let it go back to a previous storage point? Last time I did that, several programs I'd just installed all magically vanished... and I wasn't wanting to go through THAT again.

BTW, this hang-at-startup thing is exactly what it did at this time yesterday.

(Lets machine shut off, starts it again...)

Hmmm, this time it started okay... Will simply leave it running for a little while without doing anything to see if it gets goofy.

Went to boot into safe mode... and it bluescreened. Several times. Both in Safe Mode with Network, and Safe Mode without. (Didn't try it with text-only mode.) Even bluescreened just letting it boot into regular Windows. I let it attempt recovery twice, and it bluescreened on returning from those. One of those recovery attempts, it complained about not being able to access a spot in memory (in ram? on the drive?), or something of the sort. That time it was when I'd decided to let it go to a recovery point. Next time on sending it to recovery, I said no on it going to a recovery point.

I will let it stay off a short while to see if letting it cool helps.

addendum: Dang, no matter what I do, it bluescreens at startup... so I can't get in and retrieve the new minidumps.

Why is it that the machine either seems to work fine for hours, even through multiple reboots, one day, and then bluescreens like nobody's business the next day?

Last edited:
Okay, finally got it to boot. Attaching the new minidumps.

addendum. Okay, burned a CD of that memtest thingy and am running it now. How long should I keep it running at a minimum?

addendum2: Okay, at about pass 48% I'm now getting Failing Address stuff in red. A bunch of Tst 7 (Test 7?), Count 32.

Attachments

• minidumps 20100930.zip
    84.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
So, I take it this means I need to replace my ram sticks? Or maybe only one of my ram sticks? If only one, which one?

I'm assuming this isn't checking the memory of my display card. Ergo, I'm not having to determine if the bad ram is in the display card instead of the mobo, right?

Should I post a picture of the Nemtest86 display?

Okay, I've had memtest86+ running for more than 5 hours now... it produced one little flurry of 32 "Failing Address" errors fairly early on, and none since.

So, what is the next step?

If errors were shown, replace the memory. You can test the sticks one at a time to find which may be the defective one or simply replace all the memory.

You really should update this driver though, from my link:

ASACPI ASACPI.sys Sun Mar 27 22:30:36 2005

Link Removed - Invalid URL

--------

And update your nForce chipset drivers from NVIDIA for your motherboard:

nvmf6264 nvmf6264.sys Thu Jul 30 19:48:18 2009

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Is this the same MB_WIN7_ATK.ZIP you linked me to earlier? The URL has a slightly different string of numbers in it.

I still don't know how to install it because I don't know which device it goes to, and so can't go to that device and select to update drivers. Do you know what device, or what sort of device, it likely goes to?

Or do I just copy the files in ...\MB_WIN7_ATK\MB WIN7 ATK\64\WIN7 into a particular folder in my system like was done with some of those others?

As for the NVIDIA chipset stuff... I thought I'd already done that earlier...

Last edited:
Yes, it is for the ATK0110.

Easiest way to update it is to extract the download to a folder. Copy the ASACPI.sys file from the 64 bit Windows 7 folder and paste it over the one at C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Reboot.

Went to copy it over the original... instant BSOD. minidump attached.

Looks like the old one remained in place. :-L

Attachments

• 100110-21652-01.dmp
    279.8 KB · Views: 392
Yep, old still there. The crash is from faulty memory though.

You can replace the file in safe mode using the above technique.

Got another bluescreen when trying to open another tab from this forum on Firefox. minidump attached.

BTW, am I supposed to dload the video card drivers from that nvidia link, or something else. I.e. do I insert GeForce, GeForce 200 Series, GeForce GT 240, Win7 64 into the radio boxes?

Attachments

• 100110-23072-01.dmp
    278.3 KB · Views: 317
I didn't say anything about video drivers. nForce chipset drivers, instead.

It's the faulty memory causing crashes, though.

Back