Windows 8 Getting BSOD Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

Kent

Hello everyone. I have a PC that I built a few years back, which is a decent PC. As of lately, I've been getting BSOD. I bought a copy of SimCity and it started then, but now even when not playing SimCity I get them! I'm getting the following BSOD:

• PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
  • DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
  • ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
I searched around and saw that it's possibly my memory? So I took out one module and the PC wouldn't even turn on. So I switched it with the other module and it turned on. Both turned on just fine together. I don't know anymore if it's memory related. I ran a windows memory test, and it said everything was fine at the moment. I've also done disk checks (on both my SSD and my HDD) and came back with flying colors.

I read the MEMORY.DMP with the windows tool and I see this: DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

I'm attaching the files asked for to this post.

Thank you very much for your help! It's greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• W7F_18-07-2014.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 641
  • CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 522
  • RAMMon.pdf
    66.4 KB · Views: 561
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C5, {8, 2, 0, fffff802ecf231de}

Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+1ce )

Followup: Pool_corruption
Hi,
the above Bugcheck can be caused by recently installed drivers/software that are causing corruption. Unfortunately with only one dump file it can make it harder to determine the cause of the bsod and if you have more then please send them in.

BiosVersion = 3703
BiosReleaseDate = 04/25/2013
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = P8P67 LE
You have a Bios update pending one which is for better system stability:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_LE/HelpDesk_Download/

Checking through the dump file your looking ok driver wise apart from one or two drivers that need further investigation in terms of compatibility:

MarvinBus64.sys Fri Sep 23 22:17:03 2005 : Likely a part of Pinnacle Studio's Marvin Bus and could be too old for Windows 8.1. Try uninstalling and seeing if the issue continues. Here's a link to the Pinnacle site and a patch for 8.1 (Studio 16 only):
http://corel.force.com/pinnacle/art...oductTopCategory=Pinnacle_Products&source=kba

Please update your Intel drivers by running the driver utility:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Post any new dump files.

I updated my BIOS, as well as updated drivers using the free versions of SlimDrivers & DriverEasy. I was going to uninstall Pinnacle (studio 15), but I hadn't done it yet. I downloaded the trial of 16 to try it out this morning, so I'll probably just uninstall 15 all together. But I didn't have EITHER of them open and I got another BSOD. In fact, 2. The first one: MEMORY_MANAGMENT, and the second one while the computer was restarting: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. While on the last one, it was stuck. I thought it would just take a while, so I went ahead and took a shower and when I came back it was still on this screen (see attached). I've also attached the W7F diagnostics again. The MEMORY.DMP reported, again,
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

Thank you for your time, once again.

Update: Ah, I forgot to mention that I am now running MemTest86 via USB. It's been running for about half an hour and so far so good. I will let it run longer (I can't do 6 hours, but I can for 2-3) and update this post again. Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 870
  • W7F_19-07-2014.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 743
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck C5, {8, 2, 0, fffff802ecf231de}

Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+1ce )

Followup: Pool_corruption
Hi,
of the two dump files sent one was memory corruption again and the other was the above which is usually caused by new incompatible software.

You must try and run Memtest86 for 12hrs at least as errors sometimes won't show until the 12th hour. It's a pain I know but it has to be done. I'd also try removing the Pinnacle software too.

Hello Kemical, I ran MemTest86 for nearly 3 hours, and these were the results.

Do you think formatting and installing the OS would help at all (and not installing everything)? You know, starting anew.

Attachments

• file____F__EFI_BOOT_MemTest86-Report-20140719-140647.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 540
You must try and run Memtest86 for 12hrs at least as errors sometimes won't show until the 12th hour. It's a pain I know but it has to be done. I'd also try removing the Pinnacle software too. You could try a clean install and just install the drivers. You could then add your third party software and test after each installation for bsod's.. I'd still test the RAM though as previously stated.

Can I leave both sticks of memory in and run the test? I'm going to leave it over night. (Is that safe?) Thanks! Kind regards.

I had another few BSOD since the format. I did install Pinnacle again, and that's when it started again (I think), so I did a system restore point right to the very beginning of the PC, would that have taken care of the software left overs after uninstalling (like drivers, registry, etc)? I'll post the two other mini dumps with W7F here now. Thank you.

So, would it be safe to leave it over night while I'm sleeping? Or is there a chance something could catch fire? Thanks again!

Attachments

• W7F_21-07-2014 1.zip
    482.5 KB · Views: 410
  • W7F_21-07-2014 2.zip
    559.1 KB · Views: 450
Code:

BugCheck 19, {e, ffffc000e7410ac0, 6900630041005c, c6e96a5d052aa52e}

Probably caused by : fileinfo.sys ( fileinfo!FIPreCreateCallback+1ce )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
leaving it on overnight should be fine and I doubt very much it would catch fire. You'll probably wake up at some point anyway at which time to could just check on things. The above dump file didn't contain the pinnacle driver but i did notice this driver:

HECIx64.sys Wed Oct 20 00:33:43 2010: Intel Management Engine Interface, run the auto update utility from Intel:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

Rereading through one of your above posts you were using apps to find your drivers such as Driver Easy and Slim drivers. Is this still the case? If so remove both apps and update your drivers through the links above.

Have you checked for firmware updates for your SSD?

So, I guess it had nothing to do with the Pinnacle driver.

I ran the Intel auto-update utility, and it gave me this:
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Product Detected
Current Version Installed9.4.0.1027
This version is valid.
Is this for the Intel Management Engine Interface? Either way, I updated it.

It had that update, apart from a few other updates which I will get along to, as well (like for the LAN, WIFI & Audio)

I ran the update utility for the SSD, and it had a firmware update, so I proceeded to update it. I will leave the memory test running for like 8-9 hours tonight. Hopefully it won't find anything, and I can eliminate the RAM as the issue. Are the slots for the RAM another possibility? Or does it most likely look like RAM or Driver?

OK, after leaving it all night, I woke up and it had stopped (see attached). It found 0 errors but after almost 4 hours it had stopped.

Attachments

• MemTest86-Report-20140722-013653.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Looking through your last dump files I did feel it was perhaps more of a driver issue than a RAM one. Hopefully now you've found those other updates things will settle down.
RAM slots can fail but chances are yours hasn't. See how you go and if you get any new blue screens please post the dump file.

:'( It's done it again. 99% of the time, it's while I'm playing SimCity! Could it be a problem with the game? Or some kind of setting for the graphics card or something like that? It gave the error : KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

Then it turned off, restarted but only the fans turned on. I had to manually power down the PC and let it rest for like 2 -3 minutes, because every time I turned it on, it just spun up the fans and nothing turned on the screen. But after waiting, I was able to boot up.

Thank you for your continued help...

Attachments

• W7F_22-07-2014.zip
    687.3 KB · Views: 940
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 139, {3, ffffd0002bcdb500, ffffd0002bcdb458, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!NtUserSystemParametersInfo+1ae )

Followup: MachineOwner

Code:

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure.  The corruption
could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A LIST_ENTRY has been corrupted (i.e. double remove).
Arg2: ffffd0002bcdb500, Address of the trap frame for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg3: ffffd0002bcdb458, Address of the exception record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Reserved

Debugging Details:
------------------

Cause
Most causes of this bug check tend to be self explanatory and easy to diagnose. One exception is code 3, LIST_ENTRY corruption. This type of bug check can be difficult to track down and indicates that an inconsistency has been introduced into a doubly-linked list (detected when an individual list entry element is added to or removed from the list). Unfortunately, the inconsistency is not necessarily detected at the time when the corruption occurred, so some detective work may be necessary to identify the root cause.

It's looking like that a driver is causing corruption and generally your drivers look fine apart from this:
HECIx64.sys Wed Oct 20 00:33:43 2010: There is a 2013 version of this driver on the motherboard webpage:
Management Engine Interface V9.5.10.1658 for Windows Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).(1.5M)
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_LE/HelpDesk_Download/

Open search and type command prompt then right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

I also went back and reread your first post especially about what you said re the RAM. If you find that the machine will not boot up with a certain stick then it's more than likely there's an issue with the stick. Can you repeat what you did and check if the machine will boot off each stick individually. I know you ran Memtest86 but as it was never tested for more than 4 passes that really isn't long enough.

If you find that the machine won't boot off a particular stick try using the machine with only the stick that works. Remove the faulty stick altogether and see how the machine runs then.

Hello Kemical again,

Thank you for your reply. Since my house DIDN'T Catch fire last time, I don't mind trying the test again (after removing one). I had the same issue today with the ram. After that BSOD, the fans just turned on but not the computer. Last time, I took out one ram module and tried to turn it on again, but same result. So I took it out and traded it for the other and it turned on that time. Today, I just waited a few minutes and the PC turned on. But tomorrow I'll give the tests another go. But, why didn't my Memtest run all night? How can I make it work continuously? Otherwise it's just a waste of electricity when it's finally done!

Hey Kent,
I'm unsure as to why your system stopped and if it's even linked to your issue. Something plainly isn't right with the sticks of RAM you can't boot off... Are they all the same manufacturer and speed? Plus are you sure it's the stick that's dead and not the slot? Check by running a stick you know works in the same slot.
To be honest I wouldn't bother running Memtest86. I'd just remove those sticks which are dead and then try running the machine. If you still get a bsod then try running Memtest86.

Well, I got another one, but this time it didn't give me a minidump! The screen was NTFS_ FILE_SYSTEM. :(. I changed memory slots, with both sticks. I'm going to check both sticks by themselves right now and see.

I did see MEMORY.DMP was updated, though. But it's far too big to upload here.

What I did do is get like 5 hours of game time though! I have to admit, I was playing and leaving it on trying to provoke a BSOD.

Last edited:
Hi again. I'm running chkdsk and boy does it take a while. It's been stuck at 11% for a while. I'll let it run a while longer.

Do you think the problem could be the HDD? Maybe I'll disconnect the SSD drive and reinstall windows to the secondary HDD and see if I get any issues. Is it possible that the SSD is the culprit? Thank you very much!!!

Well, it finished. I came back to the computer in Windows Recovery (for not having restarted correctly?) and so I clicked restart again, and this time it loaded into windows. But right before, it showed the chkdsk 100% completed. Is there a file to see the results?

Last edited:
Hey Kent,
What happened re the RAM sticks? If I follow through with what you've written above that you just changed slots but didn't test if any of the sticks were dead? HDD errors and RAM errors can look or act in a similar way so it's important that we follow up on each component if only to rule it out. If I was you I'd first try checking the RAM as discussed above.
The fact that your SSD completed the chkdsk is a good sign although why it didn't boot properly is possibly down to another unrelated issue. This is why we must follow up on testing components. Just to digress, is your machine running in AHCI mode or IDE? If it's IDE change it over to AHCI which SSD's prefer.

I'm currently working on a project (video editing) and I should be finished this afternoon.

Yes, I swapped slots for the RAM (I have 4, and they were in the 2 black ones, so I switched them to the 2 white ones). Now that I know it's not the slots, I'll try the memory independently. I'll turn up my Page File to not run out of RAM and try each stick individually for a day and try to BSOD. If one stick causes it while the other no, I'll do an RMA to the company and get a new stick. But I'll keep you updated. I believe it is in AHCI. I checked and I got:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
DisableDeleteNotify = 0

I don't know if that's correct, but I'll boot into BIOS in a few and check. Since I updated the BIOS I don't know if it remained there. I remember when I first installed the SSD I made sure it was on, but since the update, I'm not sure. I'll check and report back later!

Thanks again.

I didn't post the results of the chkdsk (mostly because I didn't know how to find them, but with Google at my fingertips:

Code:
Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.

Checking file system on C:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

198144 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.

2414 large file records processed.                                                                                                                         
  0 bad file records processed.                                    
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

263018 index entries processed.                                                        Index verification completed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.

32438 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

38413320 USN bytes processed.                                                            Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

233888767 KB total disk space.
  92416416 KB in 155470 files.
    102548 KB in 32439 indexes.
    310931 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
141058872 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  58472191 total allocation units on disk.
  35264718 allocation units available on disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

Another add:

I noticed I can't put my device into sleep mode! Some driver is acting up, I imagine... It sleeps, but it keeps the fans and lights on. But I have to force restart or shutdown the PC, but when it turns back on, it thinks it's waking up and continues on from where it had left off! Strange.

I also checked, in my bios it says it's working in AHCI... So that's good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom