Windows 7 Graphics card not recognized. Listed as "Standard VGA Adapter"

NerdBerd

Recently upgraded to WIN 7 Home Premium 32-bit from Vista. Tried to run a game, and game will not recognize card. Ran DXDIAG, and Display Graphics shows as Standard VGA Adapter.
System : VGN-AR520E
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

Tried installing drivers off Sony's site, but they are all Vista Drivers. Sony does not plan on adding any WIN 7 drivers for this graphics card.

Tried installing Driver off of Nvidia's site, but did not recognize compatible hardware.

Any next steps to get this fixed would be appreciated.

Sony support basically told me to go back to Vista and this is my only option.

Looks to me like this is the one you need - is this one that you've looked at?

I've read through the forums and tried multiple suggestions and still stuck in the same spot.

Anybody that can provide options to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Nvidia is saying no drivers off their site will work since Sony Customizes drivers to work w/ hardware.

Sony will not support system since it no longer has OEM OS.

How is this possible ?

I can never upgrade anything on my laptop ?

Back to Vista or new Laptop are my options apparently. If anyone has anything else to add that would be great!

Try downloading the original Video Driver from 2007 from Sony here Sony eSupport - VGN-AR520E - Software & Drivers
Right click the NVDVID-13128800-US.EXE and choose properties.
Select the compatibility tab
Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Select Windows Vista from the drop down menu
Check the box
Run this program as an administrator
OK
Double click it and see what happens.
Most Vista Driver will work on Windows 7, some require compatibility mode though.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: If that works then try going back and getting the driver update package from Sony, here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNAR520E&upd_id=4725&os_group_id=10
and try installing it the same way.

Last edited:
Found a way to do through the control panel. Saved file to desktop. Ran using the run as older program option. Followed the instructions during the restart and it froze at the "Starting Windows" page. Doing a restore now.

Also tried to pull the original drivers off of my Windows.old folder. That did not work either. Had to restore.

Just recieved this link from Nvidia. Will try once system is back up.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Also found driver off of Nvidias site are only compatible w/ the below models of Sony Vaio.
NVIDIA GeForce 310M,
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M,
NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M,
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M or
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M.

Recently upgraded to WIN 7 Home Premium 32-bit from Vista. Tried to run a game, and game will not recognize card. Ran DXDIAG, and Display Graphics shows as Standard VGA Adapter.
System : VGN-AR520E
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

Tried installing drivers off Sony's site, but they are all Vista Drivers. Sony does not plan on adding any WIN 7 drivers for this graphics card.

Tried installing Driver off of Nvidia's site, but did not recognize compatible hardware.

Any next steps to get this fixed would be appreciated.

Sony support basically told me to go back to Vista and this is my only option.

You could just use the vista drivers for the gpu on 7.

Ah please ignore I now notice Randy has suggested the same thing.

Back