Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever floats your boat Mac still has a single digit market share the last time I looked.
Joe

I agree that the Windows 7 experience comes with over 30 GB Space for the operation system alone (Home Premium/64 Bit). Under the
hood I noticed that I still can use the command line interface, in order to attach Network resources. I did not experience XP software
problems, also I still use some ancient bought software.

The UI can be maintained so it makes more sense and makes it easy to use. I couldn't get my old MFC Brother printer running, so I installed Oracle's free Virtualbox and a copy of Windows XP. My other machines which run OS/2, XP, W2K, W2K Server, Suse/Sun/Ubuntu
Linux work fine with the printer.

Don't forget you have to maintain your system: defrag, clean - from time to time. If your system crashes, something might be wrong with the hardware or some software installations. Never apply system patches from another source then Microsoft, I learned that from XP when
I all the sudden had blue screens because my hardware was no longer APIC capable.

I'm waiting for the real change Windows 8.

I'm not a troll. I built my first PCs back in the late 80s and was a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy but worked with Macs during the day. After a few years when it was time to upgrade, the choice was obvious. Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1... cute little clown suits for DOS. The first cut at Mac OSX was a dog, but by this time the hardware has caught up with the software and it's pretty much bulletproof. I have to ask -- why subject yourself to Windows? Seriously. You can RUN Windows on an Intel Mac, and I've never seen it run better than on a Mac, weird as that sounds.

Thats trolling supreme if I ever saw it, bearing in mind you need to spend about £800 on a MAC in the first instance to be graced with enough horsepower to do the same amount of grunt as a £300 regular PC does.... oh and you can run a MAC OS on a PC for less than half the cost......but why the hell would you want too? as for never seeing it run better, that just shows you up as a pretender or as someone totally out of touch. I don't want to know about how MAC has style...when Steve Jobs himself has worn the same out of style rollneck for the last 20 years, if they hadn't changed focus to portable media devices they would have likely gone bust a while ago. Indeed I did much of my early IT training on Macs doing various DTP courses...and the MacOS ran like dogs, I would go as far to say MacOS didnt come good till around same time as XP dominated the world, and yes, every company steals the better ideas from each other... although Mac fans tend to get a little quiet about that, despite being equally guilty.

I'll certainly jump ship to the next OS that performs better for my needs, so don't waste breath saying I'm a microsoft boy etc, I could care less who makes it as long as it is stable and runs everything i use, without ripping me off charging me 2-3 times the going rate for hardware.

I just have to say it, my Windows 7 experience has been less then great...
In fact its been horrid.
I have built my first computer just recently from the ground up with my own choices in hardware, nothing is defective and yet Windows 7 has been giving me nothing but issues.
I honestly dont see what is so great about it, its all flashy effects and unstable as all heck.
I have had no less then 20 bluescreens and that number counting by the day.
Many times 7 refuses to start properly, or starts but bluescreens off the bat, I have had issues updating as well and its been one headache after the next.
I dont get it, all this hype Microsoft gives to 7 and its no better then Vista on my machine, heck I rather have XP again with all the issues I have had.
I am beginning to wonder if paying the $140 I did on the OS is worth it, heck I have had more success with Linux then I ever did with Windows.
I use Ubuntu linux 10.10 and so far its crashed far less, had not nearly as many issues and works better in my opinion.
Windows the better OS?
Not to me.

No disrespect, BUT it's your first custom build, so it's entirely likely you missed something minor that can cause these issues, sure they are damn easy to build compared to dipswitch nightmares 15+ years ago, but the devil is often in the little things you overlook, whether it be bios settings, ram timings, brand combos that just don't like each other... they key phrase that stands out to me is "Linux crashes less" which obviously suggests all is not well. Few people report something that works perfectly fine, so it's easy to forget that the bulk of the people seeking answers on the forum are actually in the vast minority, I must be in the lucky majority as have very rarely seen most of the issues first hand in the many rigs i've built round it, I've seen many improvements over Vista, but again I had virtually no problems with vista either.

I agree that the Windows 7 experience comes with over 30 GB Space for the operation system alone.

Try to be current, 30gig is a very small number these days, many games are 25gig, as is a single bluray movie, nobody should lose sleep upping the specs for a OS at each iteration, it's called progress... not bloat, since they had to dumb a lot down for the masses without losing functionality, and that a flipping hard one to balance. Microsoft rested on the XP laurels WAAYYYY to long and should have pushed us to a 64bit only OS years ago, I still hold out that windows 8 should drop 32bit support completely as 32bit is past its prime, hell the Sinclair QL in the 1980's was 32bit! people need to sacrifice backwards compatiblity if they want Microsoft to be able to push the frontier....it's all the legacy crap that stops it happening, it's makes more sense to set a 5-6 year (about 2 OS releases) hardware limit before classing it obsolete and moving on without worrying about having to bloat the OS with stuff for compatibilty's sake... look at the time we had the changeover of 16bit to 32bit... that was maybe 7 years, yet the market seems stuck in the past not wanting to let go to a 32bit has been.

ok rant/rambling over... just needed to get that off my chest... before Ms. Borman makes a comment

EDIT: OMG I'm trolling

It seems to me that Apple shot themselves in both feet with their obsession to have such tight control of what PC and hardware you buy can buy only from them. Kind of like Sony back in early VCR days when they would not license anybody else to build their BetaMax player. I'm surprised there aren't Mac specific viruses now with all of the Apple devices that sync up to their Macs.
Joe

Yea that kind of makes sense really, if you think about margins too, once software is written theres very little involved apart from advertising and shipping (well back in the 1980's..support and bugfixing to add nowadays), unlike hardware which costs far more and changes more often, so it would be an easier task to flog lots of £100 software than £500 bits of hardware with software for close to a grand.

I agree with you DancingmadRB3
I hate windows 7 and the worst thing about it is you have to checkout every single program you want to down to see if it is compatible with win 7, and there is alot more programs that aren't compatible then there is that are compatible. I didn't have a choice if I wanted win 7 as it was already installed when I bought my Laptop, so I can't even uninstall it and go back to good old winXP. I am not very comp savvy in any way and I have had enough of " windows 7 ".
If anyone knows how to uninstall win 7 please let me know ASAP

BS I had only one program that would or did not work with W7 64 bit it was Windows Washer by Web-root. Now if you have 16 bit programs no they will not work in W&, but that also tell me you do not keep your programs up to-date . You Uninstall W& by getting a boot disc and formatting the drive W7 is on and then install the operating system of your choice.

BS all you like, I haven't even been able to download and install windows updates automatically for some reason,but do down and install win updates manually.
I update my drives (if needed ) once a month, scan with spybot s&d every day as well as windows defender and scan for viruses daily as well, I also do windows registry repair, and Tuneup Utilities.
I had just done a windows update manually last week end from the windows 7 downloads site and then I lost everything when computer crashed the following Monday.
Anyway how do you even know what I have installed on my computer.
You have probably done computer courses & have aq degree in IT but I don't, I'm a 47 yr old women who taught myself how to use a computer and I'm still learning, but the constant freezes, crashes etc my patients is wearing pretty thin.
Oh and I was told by a computer tech who works in a gaol that you can't uninstall win 7 and then install and older version ( win XP )

BS I learned on my own, I am 63 years old. I bought my first computer in the late fall of 1992. I cannot tell you how many times I screwed something up and had to reload the OS which at that time meant loading DOS then Windows using floppies. I went to library and read books on the subject. I subscribed to computer magazines. When the internet came along I started subscribing to various groups such as this forum and other forums. I asked questions on why certain things worked. The one thing I did not do was blame the OS that is a weak argument. I have found since my early days in computers until present that most problems are caused by the user not the machine or programs or OS. I suggest you take it to a store so they can repair your OS as you do not want to do this. W7 is better or the equivalent of XP as a Operating System.

For what it's worth I've been using Windows 7 since beta first started and it has been much more stable for me then XP was.

I've used in on 3 computers and haven't run into more then a few minor problems, no having to reinstall or use me image file to recover.

And there are a number of things that I like a lot better then XP, but to be honest I use Classic Shell, because I like the XP interface better then the Windows 7 one.

Mike

One of the main reason the OS size has grown is precisly to make it more user freindly, it's not that hard, my 4 year old has learned how to use it all by herself in a few months, she can now use Windows7 OS for most of her kid orientated media (Cartoons, Movies, Webstreams, Music, Youtubing, etc) without any assist apart from spellings for some thing, but even google picks minor spelling issues in searches well enough not to need worry. She can Web browse and search, she can use the network streaming functions, can login and out etc correctly, but she doesn't find XP anywhere near as easy to use at her grandmothers.

I'm another 62 year old self taught user. I learned from mistakes and even managed to dual boot Beta and RC editions with Vista. If Windows Upstate is not working in auto them something is blocking it. Maybe it's your tuneup and registry repair that's causing the problems. Most of those cause more problems than they are worth that's from experience. Messing around in the registry is bad unless you really know what you are doing even with utilities.
Joe

And I suppose your 4 yr old GD told you all this. If thats the case put her on the computer as I'm not getting any sense from what your saying ( OS, Streaming????? )

Hey - CPM was my first PC, it had twin floppy drives and 3 programs with it, OS, WordStar and DB2. The first command I learn was "Format", I wiped the WordStar lol

Basher

And I suppose your 4 yr old GD told you all this. If thats the case put her on the computer as I'm not getting any sense from what your saying ( OS, Streaming????? )
shes not my grand daughter, cheeky...lol shes my first and only daughter, I don't think its ever a good idea to have kids in your Teens or 20's, as nobody is grown up enough at that age themselves.

HUM, sweety hey, LOL I know kids these days are either smarter than Bill Gates or their so wasted on drugs and/ or alchohol that wouldn't know what to do with a computer ( apart from sell it ), lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom