Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why not work with people instead of insult them?

You're a real F'N ***, you know that? You're the one calling people names here. And this is you as well... "You're being a childish snot.". Frankly I hope you slip and fall on a rusty knife that severs a tendon so you can't get help and you bleed out.

You say you have problems/issues, you do not give an explanation or description of problem/issues. Surely you must have at least one mini dump file you could Zip and post but all you have done is complain. People here are willing and able to help you resolve your problem. However it is incumbent on you to post the problem along with files that are requested so the experts here can take a look and help you.

Yes, I got the problem here that the version of Win7 64bit after installed on my motherboard with the hardware
has been crash more than 10 times. And it does gaves me the good time when it re-started with a normal behaviour.
But after a while, the screen start to freeze again, the mouse pointer would not move either, as such I reboot it
and it get into safe-mode, from there, I try to use their system tools to repair and detect the possible problem, but
UNFORTURNATELY, it detect no problem, and my window start normal again.
The next time I log-in it start over the freezed again after booting then, I rechecking, F8 and check the memory
error, update every bios, graphical and the problem still back again, till now I couldn't even start the system boot,again,
so I couldn't even give you anything from the zipped-dumps file.
But I did record down the final moment from the Window 7 Blue screen details "more or less" as follow:

-------------------------
STOP: 0X000000 D1 C0X00000000C6BCD6C,
0x0000000000002, 0XFFFFF880016DD123
tcpip.sys-addres FFFFFF880016, DD123 based at FFFPP88001650000
DRIVER_IRQ L_NT_LESS OR _ EQUAL

--------------------------------
My basic systems build-up by the technician as follow:
Intel Core Duo 2.6
GIGABYTE S-Series EG31M-S2 (Ultra Durable 2 for CPU VRM)
GIGABYTE Graphic Card GTS 250 1GB GDDR3
Ram : 4 GB
Hard-disk : 1 TB
Display screen : Samsung 23in LED

Hope you guys could really advise me and many thanks for your efforts.

cheers,
Windtalker

Sorry to bring up an older thread but I must add to this! Windows 7 x64 does suck and for many reasons, at least with my experience. I realize the issue with the drivers and mainly the other issues listed on this site...

Maximum PC | The Pros and Cons of 64-bit Windows 7

...but my god everything I try to do there is a problem. First thing I did when I got the computer was install Zone Alarm. There was random blue screens, errors, and it would rarely allow me to shut down the computer. I had to hold the button in for months before I found out ZA don't like win7 x64. Then Rocket Dock like to through out random errors when I shutdown saying it can't close and shutdown must be forced. Then I seem to file random file problems with things appearing and then not being there. These are just the start of the everyday issues. It gets worst if I try to download a program and install it even if it supports win7 x64. I'm on my 3rd virus scanner and I have finally got VirtualBox to run a fine version of xp on the Win7 x64 computer and guess what? All probems have so far been solved. If you have looked at the win apis at all many things have changed for Win7/vista. Programs created on xp can fail on win7 with 1byte or nothing being changed in them. I have just spent a hardcore two days trying to solve a problem with one simple win32api function only to find out I was right with the settings it was win 7 that mysteriously would allow anything. But when I build on the virtualized xp every function is ran fine. WTF. No more doing anything but maybe browsing the internet on my Win7 x64 8G RAM piece of crap.

Sorry to bring up an older thread but I must add to this! Windows 7 x64 does suck and for many reasons, at least with my experience. I realize the issue with the drivers and mainly the other issues listed on this site....

Well a lot of the things you listed could have been avoided simply by using more established programs that have bothered to update their apps with correct support. That said, it never hurts to read up before installing them, soemthing a lot of people typically are too lazy to do, basically anything designed with Vista support works perfectly with Windows 7, if you are still using apps designed for XP you may find odd issues, although 99% of the apps that are current, will work fine, you simply need to use stuff made in the last 5 years. Nobody should expect legacy stuff to work on a modern OS completely, as it just fills the OS up with old tat thats behind the times, if you have to for what ever reason, just dual boot XP and Windows 7, its far less hassle.

It also has to be said that main reason stuff doesnt work can also often be attributed to the OEM's and the retailers that build/sell the PCs with the cheapest components going, often building to the absolute lowest specs possible which makes windows 7 look and perform terribly, for which MS gets all the flack when it's not their fault that people have bought under-spec PCs expecting it to run correctly. Retailers and Noob customers tend to focus on the parts that cost the least to upgrade, being sold on how big a hard drive is, or how much ram it has, skimping the details that are important like CPU and GPU which are the two main parts for modern PCs.

I've personally lost count of how many PCs I've had to sort out for people that have thrown good money at a rubbish build, you know it's crap when it's a £600 pc with a £25 Celeron CPU, 1tb hard drive, with a worthless intel onboard graphics solution.... utter junk, but retailers flog it cos they make out that the hard drive size is the best thing on earth, which costs all of £50 for 1tb these days

Like the previous post you should have ran and checked to see what software was compatible with w7 74 bit, I just looked Rocket Dock is not compatible with W7 64 bit, it says it right on their download page
The Firewall that is with W7 is perfectly fine there is no need for a 3rd party Firewall, especially if you use a router. Microsoft Security Essentials is a great AV for W& and is free it is rated in the top 3 free AV's around works fine with W7 64 I know I have been using it with my W7 machine since I started using W7 at RC 1.
Hey but instead of blaming yourself it is easier to blame the OS, and not arming one self with a little knowledge by running Upgrade adviser
Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
to see what may or may not work on your machine before upgrading would have saved you a lot of grief and angst.

You're a real F'N ***, you know that? You're the one calling people names here. And this is you as well... "You're being a childish snot.". Frankly I hope you slip and fall on a rusty knife that severs a tendon so you can't get help and you bleed out.

That's beautiful sirloyne. Were you born an obnoxious shithead, or did you have to work at it?

This forum has gone down the toilet.

I bought Macromedia Studio 2004 I think in 2003, anyway it refused point blank to run in Vista and I had to run it on a virtual xp machine. When I put 7 on I thought I would give it ago again and WOW it works ok. :eek::eek::eek: and i still use it without having to fork out another £400 to upgrade it, the only downside is that fireworks runs only in Win 7 Basic colour mode (unless some on knows how to fix that).

The point of this message is that some stuff that didn't work in Vista rocks in 7 :wound:

Basher

The point of this message is that some stuff that didn't work in Vista rocks in 7 :wound:

Basher

That's essentially because Windows 7 core IS Vista, it just happens to be with a huge amount of tweaks and fixes... which has made it the best OS out currently, but with plenty of room for improvement lest we fall into the XP trap again and end up using a obsolete OS long past its prime.

I just haven't seen that kind of problems, and I'm running over 90 applications from almost everything that Adobe makes to a lot of games some of them like Tomb Raider going clear back to the 90s.

I have run several different anti malware programs, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware etc with no problems.

I use Rocketdock, no problems at all.

I run all kinds of video, sound editing and conversion software with no problems, some old some new.

The only problems I have had were that Indesign CS2 would not run in 64 bit, (Adobe acknowledged this when I contacted them) and I couldn't find drivers for me scanner. I had to buy the new version of Indesign, and I found a program that ran my scanner until I bought a new one.

I will say that it drives me crazy with all it's security over protection.
Some times I want to scream, you shouldn't have to use all kinds of after-market software like Take Ownership etc, to get access to your own files.

I think some of the problems people are seeing have to be related to their computers more then Windows 7.
I would't recommend that everyone rush out and put W7 on their old computers.

But if you have modern up to date equipment then I think it is the best Windows so far.

Mike

This will give you 24 Bit color in Virtual XP at full screen view not the default 16 bit color (Remember this is for the Virtual XP Regedit)

Add the following registry key to the virtual PC's registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]
"ColorDepth"=dword:00000004

Reboot the XP Virtual and you'll have 24-bit color.

I am a computer engineer so I am no slouch when it comes to knowing my stuff. I've used Macs, all flavors of Windows, linux, sun, even BeOS and OS/2 (shows you how old I am) and I have to say that Windows 7 is a huge step backwards for Microsoft. I recently built a "hackintosh" because I do iPhone/iPad development and I found that I have had a much better user experience installing and using MacOS than Windows 7 on the exact same hardware. Even though I had to jump through some hoops to install MacOS on non-Apple hardware it was still easier to install MacOS than Windows 7. I only installed Windows 7 because there are a couple of applications that are free on Windows but I have to pay for on Mac. Well, given the nightmare I have everytime I boot Windows 7, I will pay the few bucks to get the Map apps for these funtions. It's worth it to save my nerves. It's a bit of a cliche to say that 'Macs just work', but they really do, even on hardware it's not supposed to...

I have been using w7 home premium now for 12months now and I have had enough of it, so I'm going to reinstall w xp ( which I never had any props with ). I hope they do stuff up w8. lol

Hi Mike!
I love your comment........

I will say that it drives me crazy with all it's security over protection.
Some times I want to scream, you shouldn't have to use all kinds of after-market software like Take Ownership etc, to get access to your own files.

There surely is a stronger word than "Crazy", but for the moment it eludes me.:confused:
What's with that anyway? I can see 'protection' for a PC being used as a Terminal in an office or Corporate or Government environment, but why would we need that level of 'security' for a one-man home computer?
Scream? Oh, I've done that so many times that the neighbors don't even pay any attention to me any more.;)

That comment "you don't have permission" is the one that really gets me HOT under the collar.
I built this computer with my own two hands,,, I installed the OS myself and I'm the one and only operator of this PC.
Then I try to do something and the arrogance of the OS, when it tells me I don't have permission and I need to consult my IT Manager. Hey Stupid!!!! I AM the dang'd IT Manager. Cheeeech!:mad:

So, yes, it's a shame we have to use something like "Take Ownership" but I thank God for the programmer/hacker who came up with that fix. Now, put Take Ownership on Steroids and you get "Grant Full Admin Control". It's also backward compatible with Vista and even XP. Disable UAC is also on my must-do list, to the point I've combined the two scripts together, for quicker installation.

I just install all the tweaks and fixes and shutdown redundant services, when I first set up a new Win-7 PC and never look back. Do it just once and then forgetaboutit. Something I've found also very helpful, to me and people upgrading from XP, is the "Classic Shell" for W-7.
It makes W-7 look and act a lot like XP-SP3. I find it makes W-7 much more "User Friendly". My customers just getting their first W-7 PC, to replace their old XP PC, love it.

After I've shut down nn redundant services, tweaked and tuned the OS and installed the Classic Shell, W-7 is almost bearable. It's still a hugely bloated monster, like the 5 ton elephant in the room, but it's bearable.
And, at least on good hardware, it's pretty stable. But if your hardware, is a little hinky, W-7 can eat your lunch, wet your bed and ruin your day.

sorry for the rant, rant, rant, rant, etc.

:cool:
PS: I must add, I don't run W-7 as my everyday OS. I run XP-Pro-Sp3 with the Vista Look (theme). Seven is on a totally separate HD, for testing purposes only. I will never, ever, run it as my main OS. God, I do miss my Commodore 64!

Personally, I think if you haven't figured out how to turn off UAC, <"if you know what you are doing">, in the first ten minutes of starting up Win 7, then you ought to put it back in its box, send it back, and rip up your <"I know what I'm doing"> certificates.

Hi Guys!

Yes I have moved up to "Grant Full Control" and have the UAC turned off now.
It hardly ever makes me scream any more.

I know I'm repeating my self, but I still think that most of the problems people have are computer related and don't have anything to do with the operating system.
I have had this computer for over a year with no crashes or problems that would require more then a reboot or going back to an earlier restore point.

Mike

I am a computer engineer so I am no slouch when it comes to knowing my stuff. I've used Macs, all flavors of Windows, linux, sun, even BeOS and OS/2 (shows you how old I am) and I have to say that Windows 7 is a huge step backwards for Microsoft. I recently built a "hackintosh" because I do iPhone/iPad development and I found that I have had a much better user experience installing and using MacOS than Windows 7 on the exact same hardware. Even though I had to jump through some hoops to install MacOS on non-Apple hardware it was still easier to install MacOS than Windows 7. I only installed Windows 7 because there are a couple of applications that are free on Windows but I have to pay for on Mac. Well, given the nightmare I have everytime I boot Windows 7, I will pay the few bucks to get the Map apps for these funtions. It's worth it to save my nerves. It's a bit of a cliche to say that 'Macs just work', but they really do, even on hardware it's not supposed to...

Being an equally old timer PC guy (even more way back before ones you listed) I can't help be laugh at the statements you made, how can Windows 7 be a backwards step when all they have done is improve things? ...hope you ain't one of those XP Luddites.. however I'm not going to Mac bash (mainly cos it too easy to do and even easier to prove) as flame wars are pointless.

how can Windows 7 be a backwards step when all they have done is improve things? ...hope you ain't one of those XP Luddites.. however I'm not going to Mac bash (mainly cos it too easy to do and even easier to prove) as flame wars are pointless.

First, how have they improved things? All they've done is make it twice as hard to do things, bury folders in multiple sub-folders and load up on useless crap like Aero (which does nothing but use up resources). Can you show your files and folders in groups alphabetically? No. You get blocks like A-H, and I-P... wow that is better. They did manage to hide the Quick Launch pretty good so I guess you can have that one. Media Player 12, that says enough about that. One thing I did like was every time I wanted to run a program like Ccleaner I had to say "Yes I'm Sure" and then "Yes I'm Sure I'm Sure". That made up for NOT being able to change the Start-Up sound. Hovering the mouse over the Show Desktop button in the bottom right and seeing outlines of open windows, I admit is a huge improvement... although I never really found a use for it... but then I'm not overly impressed by such things. Let's be honest, you sound like someone who needs people to tell you what you can and can't do on your own computer, and that's who Windows 7 is for.

As you can guess I am "one of those XP Luddites" because I like being able to do what I want on MY computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back