Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it says it is about network.But no,I don't have a networking problem. Both my wifi network and wired network works perfectly. So it's not that reason why I cannot install the service pack. Andrea Borman.

Sometimes your AV can interfere. Its often recommended to disable it while trying to install service packs.

Andrea, w/out thinking you know more than IT Pros/Consultants/Techs... resetting the winsock might help make or allow the SP1 to install.

Elmer, spare yourself, not matter how well-intended... she does not even have the good sense to use any security so nothing to disable.

Honestly, mate, give up.

She will ask for advice but, not take any given.

Cheers,
Drew

Sometimes your AV can interfere. Its often recommended to disable it while trying to install service packs.
But I don't have any AV software installed at all.
Except for Windows Defender that comes with Windows 7.

But I have tried turning Windows Defender off to install the service pack but it still won't install. Andrea Borman.

Please do not get her started on this, Windows Defender is part of MSE something she cannot understand, this is wht MSE disables Windows Defender when you install it.

WHS, don't waste your time!

We've been telling people for YEARS, NOT to ever go on the internet without FULL AV and AS protection.
Forget MS, , , they can't even fix the security holes in their own OS and browser.

But one reason we have to many viruses and spyware circulating in the wild, is because some ID10T's just
won't protect their computers. They get infected and then pass it along to all their friends via email.
Ain't that GREAT? I'm sure the friends are grateful for all that love and consideration. Eh?

So fortunately, we do have a few very Good AV companies, like AVG, that put out free versions of their AV/AS software
for FREE home use, to cut down on the total number of viruses circulating in the world.

Just remember WHS, , , You might fix a computer, but......

fix-1.jpg

cheers3.gif

I don't believe in anti virus programs because it may tell me I have a virus when I don't have a virus. And block access to certain programs on my computer, as well as certain websites. And we are talking about normal websites like this one,My Space,Wordpress and others.

But I use my laptop at home and I don't enable remote desktop connection,where you connect to your computer from an office or an Internet cafe. And when I use Microsoft Shared View or Team Viewer,I only connect to my other computers.Which are on my network in my flat, not anyone else's. So it is unlikely that anyone can hack my computer.

I suppose I could be the unlucky one that gets the computer virus. But I have been using Windows 7 at home for nearly 2 years now, and Windows XP at home for nearly a year. And I have never had a computer virus.

Some people think that Windows XP is less secure than Windows 7, and that there are a lot of viruses on Windows XP. But that is NOT TRUE at all. Windows XP is less secure regarding network settings.As there is no option to set your wifi network to public or home network like on Windows 7.

But you can still turn off all file and printer sharing if you use your Windows XP laptop in public places like hotels and coffee shops.

So you don't need anti virus software on Windows. And anyway we have got Windows Defender that comes with Windows 7 and Malicious Software Removal Tool-MRT. And I have got Windows Defender on my Windows XP as well. Which I installed myself, as for some reason it never came with Windows XP.

And the Windows XP version of Windows Defender on Windows XP has more security settings than the Windows 7 version. As it has Software Explorer,which is not included on the Windows 7 version. And I also have MRT on Windows XP.

But I do not have any anti virus programs on my Windows 7 laptops. Or on my Windows XP laptops. And I do not intend to have or install any anti virus programs in the future. Andrea Borman.

WOW, two years experience and she's already a Computer Security Expert!

These forums are supposed to be a HELP to the newcomers and NOT set them up for infection and total disaster.

If I were an 'Admin' I would permanently BAN anyone advocating NOT using PC Security Software on their Internet PC's.
That's actually worse than advocating software piracy, for the safety of the entire WWW.

We may not all agree which AV or AS software is the best, but at least most of us DO agree that it's just right down STUPID to ever go on the WWW without it.

If I EVER, find out that someone has emailed me from an unprotected PC, they will never email me again. My own web site and forum are on a Server with Multilayered protection. Updates and scans are run daily.

I hope the server for this Forum is also protected. ^o)

:cool:

I have been using computers since 93 with spyware and male-ware programs and various AV Symantec, Panda AVG and Kaspersky, I have currently been using MSE since it came out along with spyware blaster super-anti spyware running in background and do a once a week scan using Malwarebytes. I have been attacked but never infected MSE usually catches the critter. No AV is perfect. MSE is a great and I repeat Great AV program for W7. Many people let their bias towards MS cloud their judgment!!!

WOW, two years experience and she's already a Computer Security Expert!

These forums are supposed to be a HELP to the newcomers and NOT set them up for infection and total disaster.

If I were an 'Admin' I would permanently BAN anyone advocating NOT using PC Security Software on their Internet PC's.
That's actually worse than advocating software piracy, for the safety of the entire WWW.

We may not all agree which AV or AS software is the best, but at least most of us DO agree that it's just right down STUPID to ever go on the WWW without it.

If I EVER, find out that someone has emailed me from an unprotected PC, they will never email me again. My own web site and forum are on a Server with Multilayered protection. Updates and scans are run daily.

But you told me your forum is not about Windows software it is a social forum. So you would not know if anyone did not have anti virus software installed if they did not tell you.

But that topic is not going to come up on a social forum anyway. So you would not know that they were not using anti virus software. Andrea Borman.

Forget MS, , , they can't even fix the security holes in their own OS and browser.
Please Quantify that statement. Not just a "because I say so".

So fortunately, we do have a few very Good AV companies, like AVG
As above. Please Quantify that statement. Then as a BSOD analyst (OK an amateur one) I'll stop telling folks to remove the system killer AVG (I'll even go as far as saying AVG is killing your pc but OT says its good so carry on).
I'm afraid you are talking out of your rusty washer.

Mind you OT. As a business, excellent! Plenty of call outs at $x no doubt. Cool move! What happens when your "suckers" realise they've been err, "suckered"?

Firstly Obviously the server for the forum is protected as well as backed up. Secondly you can't BAN someone for not using AV. Like what next banning someone if you don't like the fact they use Chrome or IE. That way leads to madness.

Andrea, if you install MSSE it contains a beefed up Defender, which would keep you even safer. The one built into windows is all but useless. I wouldn't go with lets say AVG as it's almost useless too as well as a BSOD risk on many machines.

NmsUK

Hi

Maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't had any kind of virus or Trojan for years.
My friends all seem to get them from time to time and I have to go and remove them.

I use MSE and Malwarebytes plus SuperAntiSpyware.

I previously have use AVI, Avira, McAfee and way back some others, but MSE seems to do the job.
I run Malwarebytes about every other day, and only find adware etc, if anything.

Usually I don't find anything, I run CCleaner every day.

My friends wife asked if I could fix her computer so it would run faster.
I checked it out, it was so slow you could watch trees grow while it did anything.

It's a 4 year old basic Dell desktop running Windows XP, with 1 gig of ram, on board graphics, and not much of anything installed on it.

I ran every test I knew, no malware, not a lot of junk files, I defraged it and it was still as slow as sludge.

I removed AVG and replaced it with MSE and it was like a new computer again.
I mean like 20 times faster. I know that AVG slowed my computer down, (that's why I dropped it) but not like that.

It was like the difference between night and day, I was really surprised that it made that much of a change.

Mike

Mike, one can get similar results by switching Norton (& other security products) to MSE, as well.

& yep, all Win7 needs is MSE. CCleaner regularly, SpywareBlaster, Trend Micro BrowserGuard is good, additional stuff & practices, too.

But, yes, the performance results of MSE, as opposed to other products, is or can be, almost instantly & significantly noticable.

Cheers,
Drew

WHS, don't waste your time!

We've been telling people for YEARS, NOT to ever go on the internet without FULL AV and AS protection.

But one reason we have to many viruses and spyware circulating in the wild, is because some ID10T's just
won't protect their computers. They get infected and then pass it along to all their friends via email.
Ain't that GREAT? I'm sure the friends are grateful for all that love and consideration. Eh?

So fortunately, we do have a few very Good AV companies, like AVG, that put out free versions of their AV/AS software
for FREE home use, to cut down on the total number of viruses circulating in the world.

Just remember WHS, , , You might fix a computer, but......

fix-1.jpg

cheers3.gif
I agree, MSE is not ideal. But it is better than nothing. And you are right, Defender and MSE are the same process (MsMpEng.exe). But Pleeease do not recommend free AVG. We had 18 systems heavily infected at our computer club whilst free AVG was on guard - in fact it guarded zippo. Took 3 of us instructors a full week to fix the mess. At that time nobody made images yet (although I kept telling them) - but they learned and image with Macrium now.

I use NIS2012 and have used Norton since 2007 without any problems. Some people do not like Norton because in the old days it was a bit clumsy. But now it is great - lean and non intrusive. And that is unlike McAfee.

I use comodo and haven't yet had a virus. With AV it's each to their own. Most viri get onto system because of the users own surfing activities. All the virus protection in the world isn't going to help if you click yes to everything you come across.

Well I did see someone else's computer once. And they had Microsoft Security Essentials-MSE for short, and it does look a lot like Windows Defender. So it seems that Windows Defender and MSE are both similar to one another.

So why not just keep the Windows Defender?

And by the way Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool-MRT, has scanned my computers but it found no malware or computer viruses. So it must be right. I don't have a computer virus. Andrea Borman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back