Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you do not need anti virus software. There are no viruses on Windows. Andrea Borman.

The viruses are not on Windows, they are on some webpages or downloads or mails. But MSE is more than Defender. It does the Defender part and also has additional protection components. So when in doubt, take MSE rather than Defender.

Hi

Maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't had any kind of virus or Trojan for years.
My friends all seem to get them from time to time and I have to go and remove them.

I use MSE and Malwarebytes plus SuperAntiSpyware.

I previously have use AVI, Avira, McAfee and way back some others, but MSE seems to do the job.
I run Malwarebytes about every other day, and only find adware etc, if anything.

Mike

I tried Malwarebytes on my Windows 7 and Windows XP computer and it gave me a false positive.

It said had malware when I did not.

The "Malware" the Malwarebytes said I had was just the settings in Security Center or Action Center turned off alerting me by balloon notification that I have no anti virus software on my computer and that automatic updates on Windows Update is turned off.

But I have turned off the balloon notifications from Security Center myself.Because those notifications are annoying. But as I turned it off myself it is not a computer virus.

And the "malware" that Malwarebytes said I had on Windows 7 was that I had the Control Panel menu set to classic view. But I had set it that way myself. So again that is not a computer virus. And nether is turning off balloon notifications in Action Center on Windows 7 or Windows XP malware or a computer virus.

But Malwarebytes does not understand that.

And anyway,how can you run 3 different anti virus software on one computer? That would cause conflicts.

But now you can see what I mean when I say that anti virus gives false positives and tells you you have a virus when you don't have a virus. What happened with Malwarebytes is a good example.

That is why I don't have any anti virus software on my computers. Andrea Borman.

And anyway,how can you run 3 different anti virus software on one computer? That would cause conflicts.
Right, only 1 AV program. But you can use multiple scanners a la Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.

Right, only 1 AV program. But you can use multiple scanners a la Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.

Well you know what happened with Malwarebytes,it gave a false positives. See my other post above. Now do you see what I mean? Andrea Borman.

Andrea that was warning of a config error, not that you have a virus. I still think you're being foolish for not running AV, but it's your system so do what you want.
Everyone else runs AV quite happily though. Most of your problems with AV are unfortunately your inability to configure your machine properly so should be filed under user error. Also if you came here with your machine I wouldn't allow you anywhere near my network as I have a policy of no AV no Access.

Andrea that was warning of a config error, not that you have a virus. I still think you're being foolish for not running AV, but it's your system so do what you want.
Everyone else runs AV quite happily though. Most of your problems with AV are unfortunately your inability to configure your machine properly so should be filed under user error. Also if you came here with your machine I wouldn't allow you anywhere near my network as I have a policy of no AV no Access.

Well if I was working in your office or any office,I would have to use the computers that are in the office provided by the company. I don't think that any office would allow you to bring your own laptop to work.To use in the office instead of the office computers.

So unfortunently using the office computers would mean having to use the software that is on there, including Internet Explorer. Because most public places don't bother to install Firefox or Google Chrome on their computers. And their software is usually out of date as well.

And the computers are slow. I speak from the experience of using computers in Internet cafes.Andrea Borman.

MMSUK, you cannot win with her, she is an experienced AV professional on Windows 7. Just ask her!!
When she enters forum thread I tend to read it smile and leave as it normally is not correct information. But sometimes a blind squirrel finds a peanut.

Oh, the blind squirrel-peanut thing, that's priceless... I swear I've not heard it before!! Good one!! :thumbs_up:

Oh, it's so cool... the Forum has have me laughing heartily serval times all day today. Such fun it is!! :D

Downright entertainlng & amusing... just lovin' it :p

I know of a band called, Stranger Than Fiction... think about it.:confused::bulb:

I know, this is so funny to read. What gets me is that she acctualy used it looks like Defender as a leg to stand on. LMAO I almost pissed my pants when she said that. She doesn't understand the basic concepts of computer security or how a person or application can gain control of your computer with out your concent, if the right peramiters are present.

So what was the one with the Messenger Service. An atacker could run a Messenger Service announcement, through command line and add telnet cradentals. Run it with the window hidden off the side of the screen, then it would give the attacker the ability to run a telnet application and be pre-authinticated as Administrator, then that would be all she wrote. Not sure if I was 100% right on how that worked, but it was the idea that counts. This is the kind of thing that worms and trojins are designed to exploit. Without any kind of AV, you will not know you have that stuff at all.

The bigest problem she is having is, she dosen't get the difference between an AV and Maleware software. No Andrea, they are not the same *rools up New York Times and smaks her on the nose* bad, bad Andrea. You want to start talking to us about how much you know about computers and then say I have only used personal computers for 2 years. Well that is great, and we have used them for I would go out on a limb and say 40 is the most Senior member we have here. That would be Mike Hawthorn, hes got to be pushing what, 75...77. LMAO I'm just kidding, but we have a lot of experience with the COMpuTERS.

OMG OMG OMG, the next thing after AV is pointless she is going to be trying to convince us of is, if you google search google, you will break the internet. She can have The Hawk demagnitize the internet and bring it for show and tell. ROTFHLMAO

I think we can all agree that Andrea reaching to acheive the status of n00b and should be going for newbie. I would quote Ron White, but I wont.

I tried Malwarebytes on my Windows 7 and Windows XP computer and it gave me a false positive.

It said had malware when I did not.

The "Malware" the Malwarebytes said I had was just the settings in Security Center or Action Center turned off alerting me by balloon notification that I have no anti virus software on my computer and that automatic updates on Windows Update is turned off.

But I have turned off the balloon notifications from Security Center myself.Because those notifications are annoying. But as I turned it off myself it is not a computer virus.

And the "malware" that Malwarebytes said I had on Windows 7 was that I had the Control Panel menu set to classic view. But I had set it that way myself. So again that is not a computer virus. And nether is turning off balloon notifications in Action Center on Windows 7 or Windows XP malware or a computer virus.

But Malwarebytes does not understand that.

But now you can see what I mean when I say that anti virus gives false positives and tells you you have a virus when you don't have a virus. What happened with Malwarebytes is a good example.

That is why I don't have any anti virus software on my computers. Andrea Borman.

Well if you read my earlier post on this thread that I quoted myself,you can see why I don't use anti virus programs. Malwarebytes got it wrong when it said that because the balloon notifications in Security Center in Windows XP were turned off it was malware. And it wanted to delete the registry key that was set on the registry to turn off notification.

But if I have turned off notifications myself then it is not malware or a computer virus.

But if you have not disabled a setting yourself and it is disabled then it could be a virus.

But that was not the case with me because I disabled the notifications in Security Center myself. And I also set the Control Panel Menu on Windows 7 to classic view myself. But Malwarebytes said that was malware and wanted to delete the registry key for that as well.

But Malwarebytes was wrong because I set the Control Panel menu to classic view myself.

And if you look on the Ask Leo website there was a post he wrote about the Run command. He said that if you disabled it yourself it is not a computer virus. But if you did not disable it yourself,then a virus did.

So if you have disabled settings on your computer yourself then it is not malware or a computer virus. But if however, the settings are disabled, and you did not disable them yourself,then it is a computer virus. But Malwarebytes did not understand that.

Now you see why I don't like anti virus programs and I do not use them. At least with Windows Defender and MRT it does not try to take over your computer.

And yes,Microsoft Security Essentials does look like Windows Defender.Probably because it is made by the same people,Microsoft. Andrea Borman.

He said that if you disabled it yourself it is not a computer virus. But if you did not disable it yourself,then a virus did.

So you decry anti-virus software despite knowing full well that one application returned a false positive because the application erred on the side caution?

Obviously there's no need to consider the rationale behind the cautious approach. The fact that there is a very real precedence of virus/malware actually disabling those security features is a trifling matter.

What an interesting cognitive outlook you have.

So you do not need anti virus software. There are no viruses on Windows. Andrea Borman.

That is an interesting comment. Certainly Windows does not come with viruses but they can be acquired if not protected from them with an anti-virus software.

"That is an interesting comment. Certainly Windows does come with viruses but they can be acquired if not protected from them with an anti-virus software." 'leeiwinks'

We know you meant to write, ... Windows does NOT come with virii...
And you can get them if not protected, huh?... hmmm, well, imagine that, eh? Who'd a thunk it (teehee)

Keep up the good fight, Folks. Kudos to you for trying.

"That is an interesting comment. Certainly Windows does come with viruses but they can be acquired if not protected from them with an anti-virus software." 'leeiwinks'

We know you meant to write, ... Windows does NOT come with virii...
And you can get them if not protected, huh?... hmmm, well, imagine that, eh? Who'd a thunk it (teehee)

Keep up the good fight, Folks. Kudos to you for trying.

Thanks Drew, yes I did forget a word there. All fixed now.

Drew, I like your sarcasm.

sarcasm1.jpg

So Andrea tell me, what was the name of the Virus Malewarebites found? Was it a virus or maleware? Was it critical or passive? Did it tell you to delete the regestry entry or edit it back to default? There is so much that you left out of your statement that is relevent.

There is a huge difference in AV and Maleware. AV looks spacificly for code that is used in viruses from its database of code associated with viruses. Maleware software looks for code associated with software that is reported to me malicious and is cataloged in its database of malicious software. The only thing they hold in common is that they bod have their own definition database. The things that MSE searches for is not part of what Defender searchs for. Though because Defender is part of MSE it dose search for the same things that Defender searches for. Look at it this way, take a BLT. If you take away the bacon, would you still call it a BLT? No it would be a vegitarian sandwitch. That is the same idea as software. MSE is the BLT and is made up of many differnt parts. One part maleware, one part AV. Doese that make since to you?

This should be interesting...

'lemmiwinks', you're welcome :thumbs_up:

Oh & that's cool, 'whs' :D nudge, nudge

Drew

So Andrea tell me, what was the name of the Virus Malewarebites found? Was it a virus or maleware? Was it critical or passive? Did it tell you to delete the regestry entry or edit it back to default? There is so much that you left out of your statement that is relevent.

There is a huge difference in AV and Maleware. AV looks spacificly for code that is used in viruses from its database of code associated with viruses. Maleware software looks for code associated with software that is reported to me malicious and is cataloged in its database of malicious software. The only thing they hold in common is that they bod have their own definition database. The things that MSE searches for is not part of what Defender searchs for. Though because Defender is part of MSE it dose search for the same things that Defender searches for. Look at it this way, take a BLT. If you take away the bacon, would you still call it a BLT? No it would be a vegitarian sandwitch. That is the same idea as software. MSE is the BLT and is made up of many differnt parts. One part maleware, one part AV. Doese that make since to you?

It said that my setting which I set myself on Windows XP-which was that I had turned off balloon notifications from Security Center myself was malware. And it wanted me to delete the registry setting saying notifications from Security Center are turned off.

And on Windows 7 it said that my Control Panel set to classic view was malware. But I had set it that way myself to classic view. And it wanted to delete the registry key for that.

So now you see what I mean by false positives with anti virus software. Andrea Borman.

That is great and dandy, but what did it tell you changed that? Did it say that a virus/maleware changed it? If it did what did it say changed it?

Looking at what you said it looks like it was informing you that a system setting has been changed, and since you did it yourself, that would be something to ignore. The reason I say to ignore it, is becuse you did it and you know what it happened. This is an example of learning to use the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom