Windows 7 Headphone Jack Not Working After Win 7 Install

Questro

After my desktop with XP crashed, I recovered along with a clean install of Windows 7. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo with the onboard audio device showing Microsoft as the manufacturer. The front headphone port worked for about a week after the recovery, then just stopped. Moving the headphone jack to the rear port continues to work fine. I plugged the speaker jack in the front port and there is no sound, same as the headphones.

To troubleshoot I've tried the "Update Driver" and MS says I'm using the most up-to-date driver. Where you view what devices are recognized by the sound system it displays a speaker icon, but there is no option to add headphones.

The desktop is a custom-built one (not an HP, Dell or Lenovo, for example). I don't know if this audio problem is a hardware failure or related to the Windows 7 install. Any observations?

You are going to need to determine the actual hardware device manufacturer for each of your installed hardware components, including your motherboard (chipset driver, as well as a potential BIOS update), as well as the integrated audio chipset manufacturer, check any documentation you may have regarding these two components and see if you can acquire the correct and most recent Windows 7 drivers (32 or 64bit) from their respective websites.
Check device manager, expand Sound, video and game controllers, right click the problem device and choose properties, select the details tab, use the drop down arrow to change from Device decription to hardware Ids, then right click the area in the Value box and choose select all, right click again and choose copy.
Paste the results into your next post.
While you are in device manager, take note of any hardware components that may be marked with problem symbols, as well as any devices reported as "Other devices" .
And finally stop allowing the Windows Update Utility to install drivers for you hardware components, always use the actual device manufacturer's website to acquire such drivers. If you are not sure how to do that, post back and we'll walk you through it.
Good luck, keep us posted and welcome to the forums.
Regards
Randy

I ran dxdiag and Belarc Advisor to get a more complete picture of the setup. All they reported for "Sound Device" is "High Definition Audio Device" made by Microsoft. I did determine (see attached snapshot) under "Other Devices" that the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" was "not working properly because there is no driver installed". I've got an Intel Express Installer Driver CD that came with the PC. I will scan that to see if I can get specific names of companies for the various drivers, then see if those sites have drivers for Windows 7. I'll keep you posted.
dev-mgr.jpg

Well, to go by product list on the Intel Driver CD, it looks like I'm headed to Intel for most of the updated drivers. The "sound device" that was my main problem, it just lists as"High Definition Audio Controller". Here are highlights of the product list:

Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility
not installed 34024 KB

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
not installed 6144 KB

Intel(R) Audio Studio
not installed 109320 KB

Intel(R) PRO Network Connections
not installed 24696 KB

Device Name:Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Device Name:NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Device Name:Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Device Name:Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection

Device Name:Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8/ICH8R Family LPC Interface Controller - 2810

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 283F

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 2841

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 2843

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 4 - 2845

Device Name:Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 2847

Device Name:High Definition Audio Controller

Device Name:Intel(R) P965/G965 Processor to I/O Controller - 29A0

Device Name:Intel(R) P965/G965 PCI Express Root Port - 29A1

Device Name:pCI Simple Communications Controller

I removed a lot of the verbiage for each device for readability. Randy, my question at this point would be: should I just go to the Intel, NVIDIA and TI websites for Windows 7 drivers for all these products? Thanks in advance.

Check device manager, expand Sound, video and game controllers, right click the problem device and choose properties, select the details tab, use the drop down arrow to change from Device decription to hardware Ids, then right click the area in the Value box and choose select all, right click again and choose copy.
Paste the results into your next post.

For Sound device, values are:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862111&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862111

For Other Devices, values are:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_514D8086&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_514D8086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&CC_0780

Short answer....yes.
Go here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx
You might try their Auto Update Utility or failing that, If you know or can obtain the specific Model Name, number and Revision Number of your particular Motherboard you can simply enter it into the search box to see what is available for your MoBo.
Same for Nvidia here, select 8 series and then your specific model and your version of Windows (32 or 64 bit) Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers
Keep us posted.

For Sound device, values are:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862111&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862111

For Other Devices, values are:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_514D8086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&CC_0780
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862111 (IDT - Audio - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) intel should have this one assuming that they have updated their drivers for this legacy device to include drivers for Windows 7.
Still looking for other hardware id.

This hardware ID has chased me around quite a bit but as best I can determine it seems to be a legacy device related to the Intel Management Engine and if that is correct then you might be able to try the driver from here, it seems to be OK for Vista (32 and 64bit) so it may work for you as well. Seems to be for the 963 and 965 intel chipset boards, there is a list of applicable boards in the link so make sure yours is listed before even considering trying it.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&DwnldID=10895&agr=Y&lang=eng&PrdMap=2375That

EDIT: Here's another intel link suggesting, as I have above, using compatability mode for the install.
http://communities.intel.com/commun...-sol-device-driver-compatibility-in-windows-7 . Hope it helps.
Randy

Last edited:
Randy, my hat's off to you. :) By using the values above plugged into Link Removed - Invalid URL I was able to locate the updated drivers. My headphones work like a dream now. Probably a lot of other little glitches that appeared during the recovery process are repaired too.

Now, if we can just track down and punish the hacker(s) who caused me about a month's worth of time and grief destroying my XP system, we might have the makings of a civilized society.

I'll follow that link for the updated PCI Simple Communications Controller.

Last edited:
Excellent news. Glad to hear that you have been able to make some progress in resolving your issues. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread.
That's a good link for sorting Hardware IDs and I use it quite often combined with the Microsoft Update Catalog to provide hints as to what I might be looking for (seldom actually use the drivers from there but sometimes as a last resort) or just plug the Hardware ID into good ole google and see what pops.
Anyway congrats, always good to hear that something is actually working right. Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom