Windows 10 Help logging in to MS account to get Cortana to work

silverman

Honorable Member
One thing I am really having problems with is getting “Cortana” to function. I have a Toshiba is Qosmio X500-116 (only computer that I have upgraded to Windows 10), It has a built in Mic, I have changed the language to English US (I understand English UK version is not ready yet for running Cortana).

I have been to settings and selected “ON” , I have been through the “Before we get started, I’ll need some info, Agreed to the Privacy Statement, I then get a “Make it Yours” screen asking me to enter my Microsoft account email address and Password, I then click on Sign up, (this is accepted) this is then followed up with, Sign in to this device using your Microsoft account screen. (SEE COPY OF THIS BELOW).

The box at the bottom says: Old Password

I have tried adding the previous password (that luckily I had a copy of), this was NOT accepted, so I tried my current password that works on my PC’s (Win7) and my Windows phone (8.1 version?).

The Message is always: The password you entered for your device is incorrect. Please try again.

My Windows email address and login password are the same for all my computers, I don’t have any security issues. I can get access to MS OneDrive (Cloud) on all of my computers inc the Windows 10 Laptop.

Why can’t I login to my MS account for the purpose of connection to Cortana ?

Yesterday I change my MS Password a total of 5 times, just to see if that made any difference. Alas NOT.

Changing my MS password is a pain as I have to go to each computer and change them as well. I assume I can have different passwords for each computer (not that would want to).

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• problem-sigining-into-MS-account-290915.jpg
    problem-sigining-into-MS-account-290915.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 305
Hi,
so am I right in saying that normally you don't use a Microsoft account and just use what's termed as a 'Local Account'?

If so I'd try changing your settings so that you sign in. My screenshots give a basic guide:
account.jpg

In the picture below your screen should say sign in with a Microsoft account at the point where arrowed, if your signing in with a local account of course.
accounts.jpg

Once you've done that I'd also try syncing Windows update and see if anything pops up.

.... I then get a “Make it Yours” screen asking me to enter my Microsoft account email address and Password, I then click on Sign up, (this is accepted) this is then followed up with, Sign in to this device using your Microsoft account screen. (SEE COPY OF THIS BELOW).

The box at the bottom says: Old Password

I have tried adding the previous password (that luckily I had a copy of), this was NOT accepted, so I tried my current password that works on my PC’s (Win7) and my Windows phone (8.1 version?).

The Message is always: The password you entered for your device is incorrect. Please try again
As I understand it, when you change from local account to a Microsoft email account, like you did, the install procedure is going to change the password of your local account into the password of your MS account.
What it wants to get back on Old Password is the password of your local account and not the previous password of your MS account.

Thanks bochane, That's interesting, what would this "OLD PASSWORD" be for? I have quite a large number of passwords, I use two ISP companies for my emails would it be one of them. I have tried my "Homegroup password" and it was not that. Can you point me in the right direction please.

Kemical, I have checked as you suggested SETTINGS Accounts > Your Account it shows:

My Name
Local Account
Administrator

Windows is better when your settings and files automatically sync.
Use Microsoft account to easily get all your stuff on all your devices.

Sign in with Microsoft account instead

Your Picture
(Shows my picture)

Other Accounts you use:

Add a work or school (Not required)

Shows my email address …........@......…. .co.uk

Microsoft Account
---
Going to the “Sync your settings” Tab - See the attached document. Yu will see that the top slider switch is OFF and all the other are ON, but everything is greyed out for some reason.

Attachments

• sync page 290915.pdf
    86.4 KB · Views: 170
Thanks bochane, That's interesting, what would this "OLD PASSWORD" be for? I have quite a large number of passwords, I use two ISP companies for my emails would it be one of them. I have tried my "Homegroup password" and it was not that. Can you point me in the right direction please.

Yes. It is simple.
When you switch over from a local acount to a Microsoft account, your local account gets the password of the MS account and is connected to the MS cloud.
And when you change a password you are always asked for the old password - basic security
Hence you have to type the password of your local account that is making the switch.

Hope this clarifies it
Henk

Last edited:
Henk, thanks I am getting somewhere at last, I now understand about the "OLD PASSWORD". The only disappointing point is I had the same password on all my computers when first logging in. Now my Windows 10 is different. Should I have used the option to log in using numbers? I missed this out.

I have had a quick test using Cortana but it's not working at this stage, I did managed to switch everything on that was greyed out before.
I will a further look at it as soon as time permits.
Many thanks

Henk, thanks I am getting somewhere at last, I now understand about the "OLD PASSWORD". The only disappointing point is I had the same password on all my computers when first logging in. Now my Windows 10 is different. Should I have used the option to log in using numbers? I missed this out.
Sorry, I don't know, but I don't expect it .

Henk

Last edited:
Hi

"Should I have used the option to log in using numbers? I missed this out."

Once you have your computer working with your Microsoft account you can opt to use a Pin Number.
It's a simple 4 digit code that will log in as soon as you enter it, with out using your password or hitting enter.

Go to Accounts, Log in options.

Mike

Back