Windows 7 Hi, I don't know where to go next

davecabezo

Very briefly :-
I got my new PC up &^ running and installed extra SDD's & HDD's. In the process of setting up the computer I wasn't sure if I wanted to run 64 bit or 32bit Win7.
In the event the guy installed win&64 but when I got the computer I fitted another SDD with Win7 32 bit. I booted the computer and got the option to boot Win 7 or Win7!

The Win7 32 bit file was corrupted so I removed the SSD and decided to stick with 64 bit.
Now the computer on boot asks which version of Win 7 to boot from.
Unfortunately no matter what I do in the BIOS it still tries to boot from the 32 bit which is no longer there.The computer then either goes into bios or asks for windows repair disk, which is a pain and very annoying.

I've asked on various forums and it seems that windows will try to boot from the earliest version of windows regardless of BIOS settings so my question is:-

How or where can I alter/delete in windows startup the sequence regarding booting of windows 7.

Hope this makes sense,

Regards,

Dave

When asked which Win 7 to boot from, just use the up-down key of the keyboard to choose the other Win 7 (that is suppose to be working).

After booting up, on the search bar on start menu, type "msconfig" then go to "Boot" tab. There should be 2 entries there and one with a description "Default OS". Change that by highlighting the "Current OS" and click "Set as default" button right below it. Then highlight the previous one and delete it. Reboot your PC.

boot.jpg

Last edited:
My question: Is why would one want 2 copies of the same OS (Windodws 7)?

I don't think it was really planned that way - a mix up between 64-bit and 32-bit. For sure, going 64-bit is the way to go - I see no reason to limit capabilities by going 32-bit.

Hi,
Reason was that a number of my existing programs would not work on 64bit. I managed to update some, enough to convince me to go 64bit.

Many thanks for the help

dave

Well, :confused: I somehow managed to get three (!) Windows 7s = boot options on my computer, don't know how it happened but still, it happened. Badrobot's advice helped me get rid of the two extras. Many thanks. :wave:

I've had some problems with Google Chrome lately, as well as with Avast.

Last edited:
:demon:
Well, :confused: I somehow managed to get three (!) Windows 7s = boot options on my computer, don't know how it happened but still, it happened. Badrobot's advice helped me get rid of the two extras. Many thanks. :wave:

I've had some problems with Google Chrome lately, as well as with Avast.

Good to hear that Titanic Pauli.You're welcome. :)

As for Google Chrome or other (free) 3rd party software, whenever I am having problems with them, I just uninstall and reinstall them instead of wasting time trying to fix them. I just make sure I know the reason why I had those problems and learn from it and avoid doing them again.

Funny news I heard on radio this morning... Today is Friday the 13th, and Finnair Flight 666 to HEL (Helsinki) is full.. :demon:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/1...to-hel-finnair-flight-tackles-airline-taboos/

Last edited:
Going off topic, it reminds me of a situation in Great Britain, where they noticed Prozac in several cities' drinking water. People were taking the medicine in such amounts, that it ended in the loo and, since the cleansing wasn't perfect, some of it ended in drinking water, to be forwarded.

Sounds like 1984, George Orwell, or Brave New World, Aldous Huxley. I'll start a topic about these issues in Water Cooler. Probably called Bingo Bango.

Back