Windows 7 Homegroup 7057 Confusion

RRabbit427

Alright here is where I stand:

1. Wired Desktop x32 win 7 (build 7057)

2. Wireless Laptop x32 win 7 (build 7057)

3. Just put clean OS on to them this week

4. Connections > Properties > IPv6 Enable on both PCs

5. Both connect to Internet

6. Both use same router to connect
6a. If I go to my network & sharing center; click on "see full map" I can see both computers with a switch in between (I figure since one is wireless and one is wire)

7. Click Homegroup 'No other people in the home group'

8. At this instance both PCs are on 2 separate HomeGroups (how is this possible?)

9. Create HomeGroup > Change Advanced Settings > Turn on network discovery
9a. If I go back to this change advanced setting enabled button says "Turn off.... etc"

10. Click win start > type "services" chose the 'gear-looking icon one' > scroll to UpnP & SSDP & Computer Browser & Server & TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper made sure all were 'Automatic' if not changed
10a. step '10' allowed to change button to 'turn on network discovery'

11. Still both PCs cannot see each other in HomeGroup

If you have any information, links, ANYTHING please post this is the only reason why I wanted to test windows 7 and now its has become an utter failure. Best information I have found so far is here:

This site shows how it should be done
Link Removed due to 404 Error
IPv6 Reference:
Disabling IPv6 prevents creation of new HOMEGROUP : Windows 7 Networking : Windows 7 Beta : Microsoft TechNet Forums

Services Reference:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Side Note: I'm on spring break did really want to reformat the parent's computers and do all of this... this week:cry:... Any help would be much appreciated!:eek:

What router are you using? Homegroup uses a multicast message to discover other computers and if you have disabled that between wired and wireless it will not work. On a linksys router this is called AP Isolation.

plus depending on the router...ipv6 was causing issues with some peoples like my linksys wrt54g router. Set up a workgroup....the whole homegroup route complicates things.

I have seen issues with the WRT54G Hardware versions 6+. Can you try disabling UPnP and ensure that the router no longer has issues?

I believe the cause was acutally the WRT54G having problems parsing certain UPNP packets. The workaround of disabling IPv6 just eliminated the UPnP messages that were causing issues. IPv6 was likely innocent.

plus depending on the router...ipv6 was causing issues with some peoples like my linksys wrt54g router. Set up a workgroup....the whole homegroup route complicates things.
Well it turns out... that I have a WRT54GS with v6 so, what are the easiest of these options? I am to the point where I do not want to do this anymore and do not even remember how to setup a sharing wireless network, goodness...

Back