Windows 8 How can I get to the Control Panel?

WinWoman

The Control Panel used to be listed on the bottom left tray (is that called the Start menu?) but now I cannot locate the Control Panel at all. How do I get to it, and is it possible to make a shortcut for it to get to it quickly?

Thank you! Now I will start a new thread on another problem I have which has nailed it that when this new computer is kaput I am going to buy an Apple.

The Control Panel used to be listed on the bottom left tray (is that called the Start menu?) but now I cannot locate the Control Panel at all. How do I get to it, and is it possible to make a shortcut for it to get to it quickly?

I am using Win 8.1 preview. Hope what I say will be applicable to you.
If you RIGHT click at the icon at bottom left, is Control Panel listed?
If you press Win logo key + C to call up the Charm bar > click Start > Control Panel is listed there > or you can type Control Panel anywhere within the Start page ( don't even need to use the search box.)

Last edited:
I do not have 8.1; I was hesitating to get it until a non-preview version is out because I read somewhere that if it is not set up correctly by the user files can be lost. Sounds promising, though, if the Control Panel can be accessed quickly. I might just back up all my files and try getting 8.1. Thanks.

I do not have 8.1; I was hesitating to get it until a non-preview version is out because I read somewhere that if it is not set up correctly by the user files can be lost. Sounds promising, though, if the Control Panel can be accessed quickly. I might just back up all my files and try getting 8.1. Thanks.

You don't have to have 8.1 in order to try my 2 methods.
The 2nd method works in both Win 8 versions.

........ is it possible to make a shortcut for it to get to it quickly..............

Once you find the Control Panel from Start, you can right click at it > select Pin to Taskbar.

........ is it possible to make a shortcut for it to get to it quickly..............

Once you find the Control Panel from Start, you can right click at it > select Pin to Taskbar.

got it, thank you! now i need to take a couple of aspirin and decide what the next priority item will be. sadly, i am a senior citizen and after no problems with all previous Windows (including Vista, which I really do not mind because it was easy to learn) my brand new computer is practically worthless except for web browsing because of this new interface which i curse daily.

got it, thank you! now i need to take a couple of aspirin and decide what the next priority item will be. sadly, i am a senior citizen and after no problems with all previous Windows (including Vista, which I really do not mind because it was easy to learn) my brand new computer is practically worthless except for web browsing because of this new interface which i curse daily.

Your not alone feeling that way....windows 8 is a big shock to everyone on their first encounter, young and old alike. It will get better as you give it time. Remember we are here to help you and youtube is great resource. Someone has made a video of just about every problem one can imagine.

Your not alone feeling that way....windows 8 is a big shock to everyone on their first encounter, young and old alike. It will get better as you give it time. Remember we are here to help you and youtube is great resource. Someone has made a video of just about every problem one can imagine.

thanks again! in my moments of angst i thought to myself, if i were making windows 8 i would have done a big trial test on ordinary Windows users of different ages and made documentation available with any computer having 8, emphasizing the most basic and frequently used features, i.e. Control Panel. So easy to do- something like "If you are used to seeing Control Panel on Start, now you need to...." etc. Windows 8 is very counter intuitive to my laptop!

Here...try this nifty little software...Classic Shell. It will give you the look an feel of windows 7 but with all the benefits of windows 8. I use Start8 from Stardock. Might be just what your looking for.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Here...try this nifty little software...Classic Shell. It will give you the look an feel of windows 7 but with all the benefits of windows 8. I use Start8 from Stardock. Might be just what your looking for.

http://www.classicshell.net/

interesting. you know, i have used the very early Windows, XP, Vista, 7, and my favorite i think is Windows 7. why they are killing it and XP (which i also liked) is beyond me. they went backwards, from providing interfaces that allowed for fast and easy use to something that frustrates and infuriates. go figure. sorry i have turned in to one ranting woman.

Hello WinWoman:
Welcome aboard and feel free to rant away. Everyone deserves a good rant now and again.
As a senior citizen myself..... I feel your pain :)
And without a doubt Classic Shell is a suitable alternative if you find yourself unable to deal with the new look and feel of Windows 8. But......

Consider taking some time and experiment with the new interface I suspect you'll be zipping around in no time. Keyboard shortcuts can really be your friend, holding the Windows Logo Key while simultaneously striking another key can sort you out pretty quickly. Like WinKey + X for the new power users menu, WinKey + C for the Charms menu, WinKey + F (find) for Search or just the WinKey alone to bounce back and forth from the start screen to the desktop. And probably the most important one.... WinKey + F1 type in "keyboard shortcuts", pick the first link and then examine the top three links in the results.
Personally, I like things that are new and different, it keeps my brain active and I'm retired so I'm not in any big hurry. Learning Windows 8 can be relatively easy if you approach it with an open mind and I dare say maybe even a little fun.

Last edited:
Back