Windows 7 How can I restore Defect files to previous .doc files?

Reckman

Somehow all the documents I saved in word are now identified as "defect" files. I don't know how this may have happened but now, all the information on my saved files is lost. My OS is Windows 7 64 bit. Can anyone help?:(

Hi

I'm not sure what you mean by "defect files"?

Do you mean that the files will not open?
Do you get an error message when you try to open them?

Or have the file names actually changed in some way?

Are you using the same version of Word that the files were created in?

What is the file extension on the files?

Mike

Hi Mike. Thanks for responding. The original files had the .doc extension and were done in Microsoft Word. Somehow, these files got an additional extension, defect. When I open them, there are symbols but nothing I recognize. When I check the properties, they are identified as defect files. When I tried to attach one of these files here I got an 'invalid' message. This has happened to other formats also.

So these files look like Upgrade.doc.defect or something else. Are, or were they .docx files?

Have you checked for viruses?

Can you remove the .defect extension?

Hi

I can't find anything anyplace about a .defect file extension.
So this is very strange.

As Saltgrass said I would run Malwarebytes and see if you find some kind of Malware.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Were these file created on the same computer you are opening them on now?

Do they all show this .defect file extension in Windows Explorer, and did they just change to be that way on their own without copying or moving them, or anything?

If so then it really sounds like some kind of virus.
I can't find anyone else reporting this problem which is pretty rare.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I'll try to answer each question:
I ran Anti Malware before I posted the question and no viruses were found.
The files were all created on the same computer that I'm using to open them.
I was able to change the extension to .doc but it didn't solve the problem.
They showed the .defect file extension in Explorer and I've attached a print screen to show the icons (that I've never seen before.)
Now, the strangest thing happened when I just attempted to copy one icon into word. Using the same procedure I've used to copy pictures, I right clicked on the icon, clicked "copy". When I moved to the document, I clicked on the "Paste' icon in the top menu and I got the original document in word format. I'll do the same with the other documents and hopefully I'll be able to save them all. I'm still sending you the icon and if you get any info about what may have happened, I'd really appreciate it so that I can make sure it doesn't happen again.
Thanks again, Ro

Attachments

• Defect file icons.doc
    264.5 KB · Views: 728
Hi

Try opening word in one window and Windows Explorer in another.
Use snap to format them side by side and try dragging the file from Explorer to Word.

If copying and pasting worked then it should open and let you click save to re-save it quickly.

Try this with a few files and see if it makes the files act normally again.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Can you explain how to use 'snap'. I may be using the process but may be calling it something different....or it may be something totally new to me (more likely)
Thanks,
Ro

Hi

Just grab the top of the Windows Explorer window by left clicking on it and drag to the side until the cursor hits the side of the screen.
The window will format to to half screen.

Now do the same with the Word window to the other side of the screen.

Now with the windows side by side you can drag the .doc files from explorer right into the Word screen and they will open.

This could save a lot of time.

You can do this with many programs as you can see here....

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I can drag the copy either way from Word to the Forum or visa versa.

Mike

Hello again,
I 'snapped' a few files and it seems to be working. I discovered that previously, when I copied and pasted, I was getting only the first page of multi page documents. With this process, I'm getting the whole document. I'll work on the rest of the files later today and let you know how it works. Thank you for your help. It's really appreciated.
Ro

Hi Mike,
It's Ro again and I was very successful restoring all my .doc and excel files. I tried the same with PDF and was not successful. I also have some .zip files I'm going to try. I'll let you know if it works. Do you have any suggestions? Also, have you been able to find anything about these 'defect' files? I'd like to be able to avoid a similar event in the future. Thanks again, Ro

Hi

I haven't found anyone reporting anything like what you saw.
This must have been a pretty rare case.

Acrobat reader doesn't work the same way that Word does.
So I'm not sure how you would go about that if they won't open in the normal way.

The only way I open PDF files is by clicking on them and selection open, Reader X doesn't even have the old familiar File/Open option.
I have't had any luck trying to drag things into it because when it's empty it always has the, what do you want to do box in the middle and no window.

I usually use Winzip to open Winzip files but Winrar will open them too.
I have both installed. And Winrar will open almost any kind of compressed file.

WinRAR 3.71 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Mike

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I'm slowly getting all my files back. One thing I discovered is that I was unable to get the whole word document by dragging the defect file into a new word document. I just opened word, don't click on new document, drag the defect file over and mission accomplished! I was most concerned about my word documents. I can replace most of the pdf files. I'll be sure to let you know if I find other solutions,
Thanks,
Ro

Back