Windows 8 How do I create an empty folder on desktop?

Fromjim

Using Windows 8 Pro

I want to create an empty folder on my desktop so I can add shortcuts to websites I visit often, when I create an empty folder on the desktop is has File Explorer in it when I open it on the desktop, I would like to create one that resembles or works like an empty folder in Windows XP would. Do I have to create it in File Explorer first and pin it to the desktop?

Thanks for any help
God bless
Jim

Hi Jim,

do you mean remove the libraries down the side? If you look at my screenshot below it will show you how:

navigation.jpg

Using Windows 8 Pro

I want to create an empty folder on my desktop so I can add shortcuts to websites I visit often, when I create an empty folder on the desktop is has File Explorer in it when I open it on the desktop, I would like to create one that resembles or works like an empty folder in Windows XP would. Do I have to create it in File Explorer first and pin it to the desktop?

Thanks for any help
God bless
Jim

Why does this only show this way on the desktop, or can we view the navigation pane in any folder we create on the computer?

Can we apply this effect to only one folder or is it for all on the desktop?

Thanks for the help, I have been googling this for a while, you're the first to come up with an answer.

Thanks
God bless
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a global mod.
I can see what you are needing, but the answer eludes me. The desktop, as you know, is a folder in Windows explorer. So any shortcuts on the desktop are normally enough. I don't think you can achieve your object, with out opening the whole File manager each time you click the Shortcut folder. Perhaps your better option would be to create an extra toolbar with the dhortcuts?

Why does this only show this way on the desktop, or can we view the navigation pane in any folder we create on the computer?

Can we apply this effect to only one folder or is it for all on the desktop?

Thanks for the help, I have been googling this for a while, you're the first to come up with an answer.

Thanks
God bless
Jim

Hi Jim,

if you want to apply this effect to all folders see my screenshots below and they'll show you how:

folder options1.jpgfolder options2.jpg

It would be a global mod.
I can see what you are needing, but the answer eludes me. The desktop, as you know, is a folder in Windows explorer. So any shortcuts on the desktop are normally enough. I don't think you can achieve your object, with out opening the whole File manager each time you click the Shortcut folder. Perhaps your better option would be to create an extra toolbar with the dhortcuts?

Hi Everyone,
I have been using XP for about 10 years and always put shortcuts to webpages I visited often on the Desktop, Ex. a folder called banking with shortcuts in it to my banking webpages, I think I may have gotten this backwards, I probably should have made a folder in my storage drive which is D:\ under Banking then placed all my bank shortcuts in it and then placed a shortcut on my Desktop. I always wondered why my Desktop took so long to refresh, I have hundreds of folder with many shortcuts in them on my Desktop. I had read something about this but didn't really understand. I could never see any use for "Libraries" because they were all directing my items to C:\ and now that I am using an SSD for my OS and a HDD for storage I want as much as possible on the regular HD, maybe a few suggestions and hyperlinks to articles I can read will give me better use of my drives and achieve what I intend.

Thanks for your patience
God bless
Jim

Maybe you are aware that you can put shortcuts for web pages into the modern desktop?
You can then put all, for example, your banking webpage shortcuts into a group.
If you are not familiar - Open a webpage, using IE, to your favourite site. Top right in the menu bar, you will see a gear. If you click it you will have the option to pin it to your start screen. After you are finished pinning your favourites, as I suggested, you can then arrange them in groups.

P.S. Later. I just through these direct web links together for a demo.

View attachment 1379

Using Windows 8 Pro

Thanks for any help
God bless
Jim

I think you can switch to a "normal" desktop in Win 8 - the desktop like it was in previous Windows - where you can create folders..

Hi

Right Click on the Desktop (the regular one, not Metro) right click select New, select Folder that's it.

Put anything you want into it.
Links, .exe files, images, documents everything will work just as if it's in Explorer.

If you want to use Metro, you will have to create a new header and place all the stuff you would normally put into the folder under it.
That's one of the things I don't like about metro, it really likes to spread things out, I guess it never heard of consolidation.

Mike

Ps. I really suggest that you try running Classic Shell and see if you find it easier to use, you may or you may not but I couldn't go back to Metro.

If you like Classic Shell will let you use the Windows XP interface.

Back
Top Bottom