Windows 10 How do I get a disc to run?

trog69

Fantastic Member
After countless issues and a time-frame when the internet was down, I re-installed Windows 10. The problem is that inserting the driver disc does nothing. How to get it to play? I can see the files on it for the E: drive, but none look like an .exe file. How do I get the disc player to automagically play whatever is in the tray?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,
if you follow my screenshots you'll see how you can set up your default actions when placing a disk in the drive. First, open the control panel:
install 1.jpg

Click on Programs:
install 2.jpg

Look under Default Programs for 'Change default settings for media or devices' and click that:
install 3.jpg

Scroll down until you see 'Software and games', change the drop down menu to read, 'Install or run program from your media' and then click save.
Hopefully that will do it. Any problems post back.

After I followed your instructions, I opened and then closed the tray with the driver disc in it. But a pop-up appeared, asking me what I wanted the "Removeable Drive" to do. It seems to indicate that the E: drive, which would be the blu-ray disc player, I guess, since C: is the SSD main drive, and D: is the HDD. I have no idea what a "removeable drive" means.

Yup that's your disk drive. Removeable drive can mean a USB drive or in your instance one that:
A device that spins, reads and writes a removable medium such as a CD, DVD, hard disk or floppy disk
removable drive Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia

You should have seen some options like open the disk up to view files or run start up. If your unsure what to do take a screenshot of the pop up by pressing 'print screen'. Open up the 'Paint' app and press ctrl+v . Save as a jpeg and post.

It took me to the same page from the Control Panel, and "Open Folder to view Files" seems to be the only relevant pick. So, does that mean that CDs/DVDs etc. still will not play automatically?

As for the present disc, a driver disc sent with this PC build, I am too ignorant to be comfortable installing them like that. I can barely make out some of them, but others, I am not conversant enough with the terminology used to be comfortable clicking on them. "x86" is one, and I am now having to admit that I really don't even know what that means. I thought I did until I tried explaining it here, and find I haven't a clue.

I'm really starting to think that I will have to be rich to enjoy PC gaming, because I'm not learning very well. It's been about ten years now, and I'm pretty much as ignorant as when I started. I know components, but nothing on the software side. Ugh.

Look on the disk for an icon marked 'autoplay' and click that. Have you ever used this disk before and did it auto start then?

Don't forget that all theses terminologies can be looked up via Google

Can you also post the make and model of your system as i may be able to help re drivers.

Back
Top Bottom