Windows 8 How to create a 5 tile wide start screen group

t923347

I have deleted all of the icons from my default (new machine) start screen and am now attempting to create a new screen. My problem is that I can't seem to place more than 2 icons wide in a group. Once I've filled the 2 column group from top to bottom the next icon I place on the screen jumps over the "speed bump" and starts a new group.

I know that there must be a way to create these groups to hold more than 2 icons wide, as my original default screen had them 3 and 4 icons wide. My question is how do you create these wider group?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have 2, 3 and 4 wide groups...What I think the problem is that the rows have to filled before the 3rd and additional rows can start.

If you are comfortable with editing the registry, you can do this: (Make a registry backup, before you start!)

Open the registry (Type Regedit), and go to this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid (CurrentVersion is one long string, but for some reason I cannot edit it as such)
In the right pane of Registry Editor search for the entry Layout_MaximumRowCount. If it does not exist, you will have to create it. To do this, right-click on a empty space in the right pane of Grid, click on New and DWORD (32-bit) Value, type
Layout_MaximumRowCount

and press Enter.
If it is already there, set its value to a number higher or lower than the current one. For example, if you have 2 rows in the Start screen, set the value to 4 or 3. Note it is only possible to go up to 5, and this depends on your screen resolution.
When finished, click the OK button to close the Registry Editor.

Restart or log off to see the changes to apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom