Windows 7 How to get full screen and

Wilhelm

When I first startup, the screen is showing half. Need to pull it down like a curtain every time. It would be nice to lock it so it is full screen on startup.

Sorry Captain that is just one of 10,000 things I don't know how to do on the puter.
I just got this thing yesterday. New puter and new to 7

The {and} that I posted above was about the color of the screen, the sickly blue on white is hard to see. Can it be changed?

Last edited:
Hi

Do you mean that the desktop is not full screen?
I didn't think that was possible.

Is the rest of the screen just black?

Can you describe the screen you are talking about in more detail.
What does it say on it, etc.

When my computer first boots all I see is my desktop if you have some other window opening then maybe it shouldn't. LOL

You could try right clicking on the desktop and clicking on Personalize pick a theme and see what happens.

Mike

This is driving me crazy. When I turn the puter on, the wallpaper is full screen but when I go to open my first window, it usually opens full width but only slightly over one half vertically. So I see the top of the window and the bottom of the wallpaper. After I max the window, the following windows open up smaller height and width. Have never had this problem before. This new machine is a candidate for an early return.

There are no warnings or messages. Really burns me, I had to hand enter all of my favorites because of not knowing how to transfer them from my other puter. The import/export procedure is really lacking for a novice like me. Guess you get what you pay for.

Hi

Try this...

Open a window, say Internet Explorer.
Click on the Maximize button to make it full screen.

Now right click on the icon on the task bar and select "Close Window".

Now open Internet Explorer back up.
Does it open full screen?

Normally windows in Windows 7 open up in what ever configuration they were when the were closed.

Come back and tell us what happened when you did this.

Mike

Check this out...

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_get_a_windows_program_to_always_open_maximized.html

Last edited:
Thanks Mike

I tried what you said and was not able to get it to work. Also I have a new problem with the width of the screen and the
tray going wide so I cannot see what is on the tray. Also when I let the puter go to sleep, I can not wake it up??? It has a blank screen even though it has a screen saver. My Laptop and other desktop no problems like this one. Better they own it than me.

I'm afraid that this is one of those things that has to be seen to understand.
I just don't get what's actually happening on your computer.

If nothing works and you are seeing windows 7 working correctly on other computers then maybe you should do a repair install of Windows 7 and see if it will return things to normal.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

I'm afraid that this is one of those things that has to be seen to understand.
I just don't get what's actually happening on your computer.

If nothing works and you are seeing windows 7 working correctly on other computers then maybe you should do a repair install of Windows 7 and see if it will return things to normal.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

Mike, I know I told you I was giving up but I lied. I was up until 3:30 am this morning. Reinstalled the OS two times
found a way to download my needed files to a sandisk and then upload them to the computer. Nothing like "Trial and
Error". Still have not solved the short opening page.

Now I have a tasktray that is very wide and I can't see the start button. My monitor is a Viewsonic about 3 years old
and when I downloaded the startup disk, it was for Vista not Win7 and this caused me problems. So I got on line and
downloaded an updated Win7 for ViewS. Right now I would be happy to control the tasktray width and go back later and
tackle the vertical.

Thanks for your help

I just solved the width problem I think. My monitor will not handle the sharper resolution.
had to reset it.

Last edited:
Since reinstalling Windows didn't fix it, it may be some problem with your video, though it doesn't seem likely.

I keep going back to where you said that you have to pull the window down like a curtain.
Doesn't the window snap to full screen when you click the Maximize button?
If that doesn't happen it's very strange!

I guess I would try updating video drivers and if you can get a high resolution video monitor to try, you could do that.
I know that my ATI video card has a number to setting relating to how windows appear on the screen though I never mess with them.

Make sure the resolution is set to the native resolution for your monitor.

I found this on another forum....

"For those looking for a solution to this "problem" check your video display settings!

Some customers don't know that your not supposed to use both the DVI and VGA cables (that often ship with brand new monitors) for video at the same time.

That in and of it self will usually not cause a problem, the problem arises when the customer or family member or someone in the company goes into display settings and tells Windows 7 to extend the desktop across 2 monitors now you have half the desktop going to one input and the other half going to the same monitors second input and if you toggle the input selector on the monitor you will see those windows that you believe are not maximizing to the desktop.

In reality those windows are maximizing, there opening on the extended desktop. Windows 7 is so streamlined its very subtle. It's easy not to notice the desktop is extended in Win 7."

Beyond that I don't have any ideas.

Mike

Mike, I have narrowed down my problems to the following:

1. When I come on line and open my first window, it now is only about 1/2 inch from the bottom once I
pull it down, it stays there and all that follows are full screen. I can live with that.

2. When I go away from the puter long enough for it to go screen saver and if I stay away a while longer
it goes black screen and I am not able to move the mouse or hit the keyboard to revive it. When I hit
the power button, it comes back but with the "tray" expanded very wide. It gives a "Auto Screen Adjust"
message. The only way to get everything back in sync is to turn off.

This is the best I can describe, what is happening. I have udated everything. Audio Video etc.

I just have never seen a computer where the Maximize button doesn't work.

I don't have any more ideas, I can not find anyone else who can not get the Maximize button to work under a normal one monitor setup on a PC.

I just plain don't know what could be causing this.

I'm guessing that it is something about the configuration of your computer, it may eventually get resolved in normal use, I've had it happen.

Good luck, if I run across anything I'll come back and post.

Mike

Could you clarify this:

1. Display/Monitor native resolution
2. Current resolution in your desktop
3. Video card model

Press "PrintScreen" - if don't have this button then use virtual keyboard to click "PrintScreen". Open up MS Paint -> Paste the screenshot -> Save as .jpg. Attach the screenshot with your next post.

I think I have finally put these problems to bed. The Full Screen problem is working just fine, I have my fingers crossed when I
say that.

After searching all over the place, I finally found a box that said "Auto Image Adjust". Unchecking it and again crossing my fingers this
may be the cure.

Bottom line everything is working, for how long your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks for all the help and I hope I will be able to help someone on here one day. "I will be back" as Arnold said.

Well, the dreaded "Auto Image Adjust" just popped up again. I unchecked it and all was well for almost a day. Time to call the
people and get some "Free Technical Help" before taking it back where I bought it.

Hi

I'm posting this here because it is the only way I can get into Windows7 Forums!

For some reason I can not get into the forum in the normal way.
I have had problems for the last 24 hours and occasionally in the days before that.

No matter how I try and access the forum I get the can not connect message.
I have tried with Goggle Chrome (where I am now) Internet Explorer and Firefox with the same results.

In Internet Explorer it gives me the "This web site may be down" message.

I got in here with a link from my e-mail.
I have run a search and tried to start with a new link instead of the one I always use with the same result.

If I try and go from here by clicking on the link at the top of the message to go to the root page it will not go.

All other web sites are opening normally.

Am I the only one or is this a problem that everyone is experiencing now.

Now I'm going to try and post this and see if it goes through.

Well this worked so I have hit edit and come back.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike don't feel rained on, I have had one -ell of a time getting on too.
I had to go around robin's barn to get in, my favorites route is not working.

Last edited:
Hi Wilhelm

Do you have a ViewSonic monitor?

The only references to Auto Image Adjust had to do with ViewSonic.
The general opinion was that it is better to leave it turned off.

But I did find people who were having it cause problems, like the windows not aligning, being the wrong size etc.

If that's the problem maybe you could get them to give you a different monitor or if you have access to another monitor try it and see if the problem goes away.

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes it is a Viewsonic monitor. Finally figured it was the monitor or the vidio circuit to the monitor. It would work for a short time
and then it would lose sync. No longer own the Win7 puter, I got very disgusted and returned it. No doubt the monitor or interface
were not getting along. Downloaded the latest Monitor Upgrade and that did not help.

It is good to see that Win7 Forum has gotten their problem solved, was easy to get in today.

Thanks for working the problem with me. Not sure we can call it solved, more like done with.

Back