Windows 10 How to make Microsoft Edge your friend

One of the major issues I and others have had is using Microsoft Edge on the internet. Yes its fast but noise on the net really get the best out of Edge. If you have not managed your host file, you seriously do not know Microsoft Edge. (Note, there will be an ad block for Edge eventually but if you want to see Edge on the internet, try these steps below):

1. Right click on Start then click Command Prompt (admin) Click Yes to the UAC prompt.
2. This should drop you at C:\Windows\system32 but if not no biggy. Your aim is to get to the folder where your hosts file lives. So type: cd\ this will put you at the root of C:\. Then type: cd Windows\System32\drivers\etc then hit <return>.
Type dir <return> You should see your "hosts" file listed.

For the unwashed geeks, I found a great link to show you how to get to your hosts file.(Link Removed)

Before you begin: MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR EXISTING HOSTS FILE BEFORE GETTING STARTED!!
Assuming you have already made it to the hosts file location as shown above,
Type in: Copy hosts c:\temp.
It doesn't matter if c:\temp doesn't exist already, the copy command will create the folder.

Roll your own method:
Go to this link and copy paste the contents in your existing hosts file.
From the link, copy everything from
#<localhost>to this line:
127.0.0.1 youcanoptout.org
The rest of that stuff is superfluous and unnecessary in your hosts file IMHO.
Scroll down just below the last line in your existing hosts file and paste what you copied into your hosts file, save and exit the command prompt.

Launch Microsoft Edge and enjoy.

As long as Microsoft Edge does not have extensions e.g. Lastpass, I'll have to remain over with Firefox. Has anyone a clue as to when extensions will actually be permitted into Edge?

ON YOUR OWN HEAD BE IT ! ! !

LEAVE WELL ALONE, ESPECIALLY OF YOU DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND DETAILS OF HOW (AND WHY IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES) THE HOST FILE IS USED. YOU CAN MAKE A LOT OF HEADACHES FOR YOURSELF ! ! !

SUGGEST YOU SARCH WIKI FOR "HOST FILE "WHICH EXPLAINS THE FILE AND IT'S USE BY THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This method works for 99 percent of those that have tried it.

Edit: Including me.

Last edited:
Interesting reply gtatler, although I don't have a clue as to what you're saying. Maybe when you get your thoughts collected, you could clarify.

I wanted to delete what I was going to say here but don't see that option, or in French, optionaire!

Back