Windows 7 How to make Notepad my default text ediitor in Windows 7 OS?

Rae

Hello, Is there an easy way to make Notepad my default editor? Some how Wordpad is default. I read where I could go into the registry and change it there but I am not comfortable with tapering with the registry. With XP, I could change it very easily.

As a side note, presently in Windows 7, when I save text in Wordpad, I normally chose a simple, plain text 'save as' only but it saves my work in the fanciest rich text format with full headers? Have saved tries in the other Wordpad choices but I always get the fanciest text format. I bring up simple Notepad and save my work. However, when I call it up again, it is in the fancy rich text Wordpad format? I would just as soon save my simple notes in Notepad. Please know, any text I save, I do want to have a choice to save to any of my note programs. I do get rich and fancy sometimes. Thank you for all your great help here!

Hello Rae and welcome to the forums.
Type "default programs" into the search box and hit enter
Select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"
Scroll down to .txt
double click it and select Notepad
If it is not available as a choice then click the browse button and browse to C:\Windows\system32 and select notepad.exe
Hope this helps

Thank you Trouble! I saw this early but too busy to follow through. It worked! Everything is saving in Notepad. Thank you so much!

Good news, glad you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread.
Hope to continue to see you around the forums.
Randy

NoTrouble.gif Thank you trouble!

Hi: I am very glad you made this post! I just got a freeby copy of bluefish editor and it changed by default editor to its self...I hate programs that hijack things on my computer!!!
Any way your instructions worked like a charm.
Thank you
Jess

Thank you for your post. Glad to hear that you have managed to resolve your problem.
Hope to continue to see you around the forum.

Regards
Randy

Hello, Is there an easy way to make Notepad my default editor? Some how Wordpad is default. I read where I could go into the registry and change it there but I am not comfortable with tapering with the registry. With XP, I could change it very easily.

As a side note, presently in Windows 7, when I save text in Wordpad, I normally chose a simple, plain text 'save as' only but it saves my work in the fanciest rich text format with full headers? Have saved tries in the other Wordpad choices but I always get the fanciest text format. I bring up simple Notepad and save my work. However, when I call it up again, it is in the fancy rich text Wordpad format? I would just as soon save my simple notes in Notepad. Please know, any text I save, I do want to have a choice to save to any of my note programs. I do get rich and fancy sometimes. Thank you for all your great help here!

Go to the properties of the document for which you want notepad should be the default editor. In General Tab, you will find written, opens with. You have to click on the change button over there and select the notepad and press ok.

Back