Windows 7 How to set up a local network

WightWalker

Local Networking

Judging by the number of requests in this forum (mine included), it's not as straight forward as uSoft would have us believe to set up a local network in Windows 7. This is my solution to my problem which prevented me from accessing a newly purchased Laptop - unbeknown to me, the security settings for the partitions that I had set up were set to include 'Authenticated User' & no matter what settings I had created for the network, I could not access the Laptop from the Desktop; 'Everybody' is required to share a partition.

1. Make sure that settings in KIS 2010 are set to 'Trusted' in Settings/Firewall/Settings/Network Tab
2. Make sure that the Security setting for shared partitions is set to include 'Everybody, if it's not included, then right click on the partition, select Properties/Security/Edit Tab/Add/type Everybody in the 'Object names to select, then Click 'Check Names', then press OK
Link Removed due to 404 Error
3. Right click on the partition to be shared, select Properties/Sharing/Advanced Tab/ Tick - Share this folder & Type in a Share Name, Select Permissions and set up the necessary levels for Everybody.
Link Removed due to 404 Error
4. Check that shared symbol appears next to the folders & files required for sharing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom