Windows 10 How to use the Windows back up image

Hi friend! To be honest with you. I don't like the back up feature windows provides. I prefer Macrium Reflect. I'm a simple man. I have one lap top PC and that's all I back up. The video shows that you can choose the image and the external drive. Do you ever see any thing like this in the video I attached Above??

Hi Texas! I just watched the video again and I really don't see how I can explain it any better then the video.
I guess my next advise would be to start a new thread about your issue and see if other members will reply!;):)

Hey Holdum,

I watched the video, and as I mentioned in a previous post...

I choose "Select a system image" option and click next. There are no images listed on that page, so I click "Advanced" and get options for "Search for an image on the network" and "Install a driver."

Hi Texas! I'm sorry friend, but I don't know what's going on. I don't like "Install a driver" The only thing I know is to delete all the images. Reformat! Create one image and see what happens. You might want to get more suggestion from other members by starting a new thread about your problem! What do you see in devise manager??
Capture48.JPG

Nope, I'm done with Windows Imaging. It sucks just like their Remote Desktop. I'm not sure whey they have to make it so difficult. I will use something like Macrium, Clonezilla, or Acronis. Thanks.

Sorry Texas! I agree with you, it's not a very good image program. MS could make it better but they won't because of the competition.
I'm sorry I couldn't help you. Mine works just fine. If you need help with Macrium, I know it pretty well and there are a lot of members here that use Macrium. The windows back up program is a lot more simple, and that's why I created this thread for members that don't want to take the time to learn how to use a 3rd party image program. It was good working with you. I wish you good luck!:clover::clover::clover:

Hey Holdum, I really do appreciate your time answering me and creating this thread. Backup and recovery is a very important issue that many only think about when it's too late.

I have one other question for you...if you had to choose another 3rd party option besides Macrium, what would it be? I like redundancy and would like to use Macrium and another option just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

One last thought! You might try this, change all your images names back to "WindowsImageBackup"
No spaces. It has to be something simple that we're missing and Windows is being very picky about finding the image!:(

Changing the image names should not make the least bit of difference I always rename mine and use dates in them and that has nothing to do with being visible. Now if the file ending name were changed then the program should warn you that it will not open but that is different because its not a question of opening, he is saying he cannot see them.

Very nice job Gary management should consider a sticky maybe for the 3 videos as it is a great service for forum members and maybe separate out the dialog on this issue so as not to detract from the original?

Changing the image names should not make the least bit of difference I always rename mine and use dates in them and that has nothing to do with being visible. Now if the file ending name were changed then the program should warn you that it will not open but that is different because its not a question of opening, he is saying he cannot see them.
Hi @RichM I already stated changing the image names shouldn't make a difference, but I have ran out of ideas for Texas. Rich Are you making the images with the windows back up feature or with Macrium Reflect? Do you have any suggestions why windows won't find the image and why Texas is getting the message he's getting. I'll take all the help I can get. I'm out of ideas.
Thanks for your kind words. A 3rd party image program is the best, but this is really easy to use. It works for me, but I also prefer Macrium.
Thanks for your reply!

Hi this is what I've been looking for I think??
If you want to keep multiple system image versions on the same drive or partition, then you can then do the steps below before creating a new system image to be able to keep them all together.

1. Navigate to the location of where you saved the created system image that you want to keep before creating a new system image. (see above)

2. Right click on the WindowsImageBackup folder and click on Rename.

3. Rename it to something like WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1 and press enter.

NOTE: This way you can just easily change the 1 an the end of the name to 2, 3, 4, etc... for each new system image that you make a copy of.

4. You now have 1 image that you can leave at this location or move to another location..

NOTE: If you renamed the WindowsImageBackup folder, then you must rename this renamed folder back to WindowsImageBackup in order to be able to restore the image.

If you moved the renamed WindowsImageBackup folder, then in addition to the above, you will also need to rename any other WindowsImageBackup folder at the original location before moving it back to the original location,.

Hi I guess you can rename your images; but to restore them, you have to rename them to the original name.
Hope this helps!;):up:

I haven't used the Windows Backup program in many years and am afraid it has to be way different than what I remember Gary.
And yes I use Macrium Reflect Standard (paid version) but other than the fact paid version makes incremental and differential image files there is little difference. And no no need to rename them to original name to restore...the only reason I can think of why they can't be seen is they were never completed so there maybe is just an empty folder.

I haven't used the Windows Backup program in many years and am afraid it has to be way different than what I remember Gary.
And yes I use Macrium Reflect Standard (paid version) but other than the fact paid version makes incremental and differential image files there is little difference. And no no need to rename them to original name to restore...the only reason I can think of why they can't be seen is they were never completed so there maybe is just an empty folder.
Hi @RichM Maybe not with Macrium, but if you read my reply above that doesn't hold true with the windows image feature.
Did you not read my reply about having to change the name back to be able to restore the image?;):)
Thanks for your reply!

[*offtopic*] to image your computer, drink a bunch of whiskey then forget what a computer is :)

Back