Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

You're in a minority here. Was this a new PC purchased with Windows 7 or an upgrade? Upgrades over an older systems frequently have a lot of problems.
Joe

No, it is a brand new computer and I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not the only person here who does not like Windows 7.

Hi

I think a lot of people blame Widows 7 for problems with their computers.

I run everything you can imagine on mine, and I don't get blue screens or freezes.
I run pretty much everything that Adobe makes as well as 3D software like Daz 3D and Poser, (the worlds most unstable software).

I do a lot of video and sound editing and I play games.

Everything runs evern my old Tomb Raider games from the 90s.

I have over 90 applications installed and they all run, Media Player works fine as do Real Player and Apple Quicktime.

I use Norton Ghost for backup along with Windows Backup.

The problem is that Windows has to run on every computer that any noob or discount computer company puts together out of cheap parts from some 4th world country.

If Apples operating system had to run on every computer that any dork put together then I don’t this you wold find it that solid either.

I’m not saying that Windows 7 is perfect, the UAC is a pain in the butt, and the search engine it a joke, but it’s not glitchy if you have a decent computer.

I’m 72 and most of my friends are in the same age group.
None of them are having problems running Windows 7 and believe me they aren’t computer geeks like I am. I’m not sure how some of them get there shoes tied, and I won’t ride in their car with them. LOL

Mike

I agree with everything you say, I am 66 and have had no problems with W7 that were not of my making. I find most problems on an OS are usually betwixt the ears of the user

Hi

One thing I do find kind of glitchy is this forum since the changes.
In the above post the work "would" is spelled wrong, every time I change it and hit save it changes back to the way it was before.

This morning when I hit the go advanced button all but he first 4 lines of my post vanished.
It says it is auto saving but I didn't see anyway to get my message back! LOL

Weird.

Mike

Hi

One thing I do find kind of glitchy is this forum since the changes.
In the above post the work "would" us spelled wrong, every time I change it and hit save it changes back to the way it was before.

This morning when I hit the go advanced button all but he first 4 lines of my post vanished.
It says it is auto saving but I didn't see anyway to get my message back! LOL

Weird.

Mike

Thanks for the report Mike, I'll be sure to submit this bug in our next report. (We are currently testing a beta editor).

It's very stable but I can't comment on vista

How do I rate Win 7?

OK.....
I have {Vista SP3 alias} Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a new Laptop here.
However much to the dismay of one of my Geeky friends I still much prefer to use my Vista SP2 64 - bit OS Laptop. {Stable / reliable always
}

Win 7 is very stable and fast BUT; The GUI is possibly the worst ever! This trend of hiding everything (just like Ribbon) is not only idiotic but is more suitable to the new cell phones and definitely not for PCs. I have Classic Shell installed and for Office I have classic menus.
Seriously; What were the idiots in MS thinking? Perhaps they think that all PCs should function like a games console?

Were it not for the third party classic start and menu software add ons I would definitely stick with XP.

it seems new hardware, windows 7 may be a part of my issues but when it comes to playing dvd's?
windows media player has issues so does the oem power dvd, with what the old xp system was doing it was flawless at dvd though it may be hardware it seems odd to me since playstation3 plays it all without fault without being online for any updates blu-ray,dvd works why not on pc?
i rate 50/50 atm but i do like it just wish it worked a bit better, ssd vertex 3 hdd seems to have some issue too it hangs up in windows where my raptor drive does not.

Hi

All I can say is that I personally don't have any problems running DVDs in Media Player.
In fact Media Player seems to be able to run almost any kind of video file, something that it didn't do in the past.

I can remember when I had to buy codecs from Nvidia for Media Player, in order to get it to play DVDs.

Mike

I think Windows 7 stinks. Quite frankly, I hate it with a passion. My reasons are that quite a few of the programs that I had previously running on XP do not run on Windows 7. e.g. Roxio Creator 2009, Microsoft Office 2007. When I emailed Roxio several times for support, both in the US and by telephone in Australia I was told that "young people are always wanting the NEWEST things" and that "you will be left behind!" Did anyone else realise that there was a race or is it just me who missed the starting gun? I just want my previously VERY EXPENSIVE software to work on successive versions of windows. The US Roxio people suggested that I should be aware that there were 2 other versions of Roxio Creator put on the market after 2009 and they were compatible with Windows 7. The only trouble is that when I purchased my 2009 version on 24 August 2009 the sales assistant must have forgotten to tell me that the program was already obsolete when I handed over my AUD $165.00 for it. That meant that Roxio already knew that 4 months after my purchase it would be dead on the new operating systems that had already been released by Microsoft, but still they still continued to sell them to the Australian market. My dear old mum used to say that cheats never prosper...she has been proved correct in the past...I hope her words come true sooner rather than later for these people. With the economies in both our countries not looking the best, maybe we won't have to wait long to find out. I do not have a large disposable income and in future I will not be purchasing any more programs. I can always go to the local library and use their computers, mine has become a "non-essential" since all of this "cash milking exercise." Wildbillwallace

I think Windows 7 stinks. Quite frankly, I hate it with a passion. My reasons are that quite a few of the programs that I had previously running on XP do not run on Windows 7. e.g. Roxio Creator 2009, Microsoft Office 2007. When I emailed Roxio several times for support, both in the US and by telephone in Australia I was told that "young people are always wanting the NEWEST things" and that "you will be left behind!" Did anyone else realise that there was a race or is it just me who missed the starting gun? I just want my previously VERY EXPENSIVE software to work on successive versions of windows. The US Roxio people suggested that I should be aware that there were 2 other versions of Roxio Creator put on the market after 2009 and they were compatible with Windows 7. The only trouble is that when I purchased my 2009 version on 24 August 2009 the sales assistant must have forgotten to tell me that the program was already obsolete when I handed over my AUD $165.00 for it. That meant that Roxio already knew that 4 months after my purchase it would be dead on the new operating systems that had already been released by Microsoft, but still they still continued to sell them to the Australian market. My dear old mum used to say that cheats never prosper...she has been proved correct in the past...I hope her words come true sooner rather than later for these people. With the economies in both our countries not looking the best, maybe we won't have to wait long to find out. I do not have a large disposable income and in future I will not be purchasing any more programs. I can always go to the local library and use their computers, mine has become a "non-essential" since all of this "cash milking exercise." Wildbillwallace

It sounds like your problem is more to do with Roxio than Microsoft. Plus you bought your version of Roxio in August 2009, Windows 7 wasn't released until October 22nd 2009. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I really think your issue is plainly with Roxio.

If you don't like windows 7 then just don't use it.

BS BS I run Microsoft Office 2007 on my W7 64 bit machine, I run Word Excel Publisher and Power Point with no problems. It sounds as if some of your problems are betwixt your ears.
If you have W7 Pro or Ultimate you could run XP in virtual mode on your machine then you could run Roxio 9. I now run Roxio 10, but ran Roxio 9 when W7 first came out with no problems. Roxio may not support it on W7 but that does not mean it will not work on W7 64 bit.
It is easier to blame the OS than the operator using it, i have found that 90 percent of all problems are usually operator errors, in other words betwixt ones ears.

I think Windows 7 stinks. Quite frankly, I hate it with a passion. My reasons are that quite a few of the programs that I had previously running on XP do not run on Windows 7.

And I hate people who can't find alternatives, with a passion.

Roxio is a DVD creator, yes? There has to be at least 5000 alternatives.

Hi

I too, do not find the problems that you are seeing.
I've found almost nothing that ran in XP that won't run in Windows 7.

Certainly not Microsoft Office. I'm still using Office 2003!

I don't know why you are using Roxio anyway there software has always be terrible, I gave up on them back when I was using XP and half of the features in Creator didn't work. I bought it for the video editing and it was a joke.

Windows Movie Maker works better but I use Adobe Premiere now that I've gotten serious about it.

There is no real need for a pay to play utility to create CD or DVDs in Windows 7, most of the stuff is built in, but I prefer ImageBurn which is free anyway.

The only issues I've had were about using 64 bit as apposed to 32 bit and that's a choice that I made, and it has only effected a couple of programs.
Most notably InDesign CS2 which just isn't compatible with 64 bit operating systems.

It sounds to me as if the set up of your computer has more to do with it then Windows 7.

Mike

Back