Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

Hi

There's nothing unstable about Windows 7, if you have a properly built computer with suitable security software it will run forever without crashing.

My wife ran her Dell laptop until is just wore out and never had a crash.

Linux is fine if you want to run basic software, but it's not a complete run anything operating system like Windows of Mac OS.

Every one who has a crash wants to blame it on Windows, but the truth is that 99 times out of 100 it's their computer or other software that's the problem.

Going back to XP, and through Windows 8 I've never had a virus or anything worse than some or unwanted cookies or adware in the last 10 years, and I haven't had a crash until I started Running Windows 10 TP (I don't expect it to crash once it goes live either).

I use Windows Defender, CCleaner, Malwarebytes and SupperAntiSpyware and that's all it takes to stay clean.

Mike

I have over 100 pieces of software installed on my computer normally, and 90% of it won't run in Linux.
I can't run my games my Adobe software, or many of the video and audio editing programs I run.

In fact other then running Office type software, browsing the net, and moving files around there isn't much that I can do in Linux.

I'm running Windows 10 now and everything works.

Last edited:
Windows-7 is still good, if you don't mind 198 updates after a desktop, only after you installed you're own copy of service-pack-1 (windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe). I moved on to Windows 8.1, becauce the progression of life demands it.

Sometime this coming summer, Windows-10 will be revealed. Then it will become the standard. Like it or not, this is the future.....

Windows 7 is my main OS, everything else I run in VirtualBox, so yes I like Windows 7.
A year ago I bought a new pc with Windows 8 on it and I formatted to get Windows 7 back !

OTT

I think windows 7 is the last "user friendly" operating system. Windows 8 belongs on a tablet so it should stay on a tablet. Its ridiculous everything that has to get done just to shut down the windows 8. My wife also hates that OS.

Hi

I admit that I loved Windows 7, and I've used every Windows OS since Windows 3.1.
That's not totally true, I skipped Windows 2000 and Vista.

But I'm not finding Windows 10 hard to use.
A lot of things are easier to get to then they were in 7, (I really like the right click menu on the Start Button) it runs faster, and if they ever get the glitches out I think I'll be happy with it.

It's the first OS that I haven't run Classic Shell in since Windows XP.

There are some things I'd like to see brought back, one is the dual pane Windows Explorer, Snap makes it pretty easy to get two windows up side by side, but I'd like to have the command on the right click drop-down in Explorer "Open in New Window" open the second window on the right side of the screen side by side with the original window.

I hope that eventually Cortana will really be useful, I'd like to be able to say Hey Cortana, Open Photoshop, or Run CCleaner, and have it work.

Mike

hey all, i cut my teeth on windows xp and it did work and had lots of cool software.
windows vista i never had any complaints as i built my desktops to run vista. i liked it.
windows 7 is also ok and i do like it but here lately on new installs the install goes real well. the trouble begins after the 192 needed updates that i find 62 of those fail so i am not happy with microsoft right now. yes it is a legit copy and it has been activated. activated or not the updates should install period and if the failing ones are no longer needed than microsoft should remove them. their update troubleshooter repair fixit tool makes no changes. also since i have paid for this then i have every right to complain about it. it seems as though they are more concerned with windows 10 then keeping what they have already sold to people running right.

all in all i like windows 7 and hope that windows 10 is as good as the technical preview is. windows does seem to work well once installed. i to run linux and have no complaints and they are a full operating system and will run almost anything as good as windows. you do have to learn how to make certain software run as it is not always a plug and play or insert cd and auto run takes off.

just my thoughts and my own opinion. thanks for the space.
the poorguy

Windows-7 is still good, if you don't mind 198 updates after a desktop, only after you installed you're own copy of service-pack-1 (windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe). I moved on to Windows 8.1, becauce the progression of life demands it.

Sometime this coming summer, Windows-10 will be revealed. Then it will become the standard. Like it or not, this is the future.....
When I bought my Windows 7 full install DVD it already came with Service Pack 1 so I did not have to install it. As far as I know all Windows 7 installation CD's come with both Service Pack 1 as well as a 32 and 64 bit CD in the pack along with the product key.

yeah my several windows 7 dvds have system pack 1 and then i have some windows 7 dvds that don't have system pack 1 on. i think it depends on when they were purchased.

the poorguy

well i must change my opinion of what i think of windows 7. i have tried 5 different times to install windows 7 pro 32 bit on a asus m2a-vm and the install goes well. the problem starts when it comes time to install the 1st set of updates. 206 updates to be installed and hours later come to find 89 updates have failed. this is just no good and i give up as when that many updates fail there is no way that an operating system can be secure. people said vista sucked, i never had an install problem or failed update with vista. what i need to do is decide if i want to waste time with windows 10 as now i have lost any faith with windows period. tried all the fixes with the updates fix it tool and that didn't make a difference. and yes it is a legal dvd of windows 7 pro. just don't know about microsoft windows anymore seems now i am experiencing the same horror stories that i have read that others were having.

very disappointed.
the poorguy

i have tried 5 different times to install windows 7 pro 32 bit on a asus m2a-vm
As you prob know this board was made to take Xp/ Vista and a 64bit chip so its hardly that disappointing Windows 7 32bit has issues... use whatever system you like mate and more power to you.

As you prob know this board was made to take Xp/ Vista and a 64bit chip so its hardly that disappointing Windows 7 32bit has issues... use whatever system you like mate and more power to you.
yeah well sounds typical if it ain't 64 bit than don't bother right. some people are just limit themselves in 1 circle and some are willing to step out of the circle. i just don't throw a desktop to the curb because it is 32 bit.

the poorguy

Last edited:
i did solve my problem by the way thanks to some other members of this forum.

the poorguy

Last edited:
I don't know what all the hype is about 64 bit OS when most software that is installed is or most often turns out to be 32 bit. and yeah I understand about the differences in architecture between the two. my windows 7 pro 32 bit runs just as good as my windows 7 pro 64 bit. if 32 bit still wasn't useful then why is it still offered from Microsoft and Linux.

the poorguy

l love my windows 7. but l'v signed up to to this forum just to say i love the new plans u have for windows 10. just like windows 7 like al lthe thing you are bring back from windows 7 to windows 10 like start button, alt tab, start button menu and functions that go with it. a main desk top screen. ect. Thanks windows for making me want to update my windows after planning never to ever again after seeing 8,9.

Back