Windows 8 I can't connect to the proxy server, yet I haven't installed one.

Barney Whitmore

I don't know where else to ask this so I am posting this here:
A few days ago I installed a third party program which installed a hijacking search engine called snap.do, I then proceeded to uninstall it but now I can't connect to the internet altogether, so I run a virus scan and a few things come up, I delete all of them from my system and it still doesn't work. I have tried refreshing but it says some files are missing. I have tried fixing this in command prompt by typing sfc /scannow and it still does not work. I have been to countless websites all over the internet and have found nothing. I have gone into my web browser settings and turned on use proxies for LAN

I have gone into my web browser settings and turned on use proxies for LAN
Go into your browser settings and uncheck all those boxes

Proxy.png

Scan your machine with https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
And http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

It still isn't working, and I have no way to download things from the internet for I still cannot go on any webpage, also the use a proxy server for your LAN is greyed out.

Last edited:
Try repeating the steps suggested by Trouble at post #3. Then reboot and examine the LAN settings. If they have been reset to use a proxy server then you may have a registry entry set by malware. If you have get back to us and we can can guide you through registry changes to try and correct it.

I have no way to download things from the internet
I am not sure what device or device type you are currently using to post in these forums, but....
Do you have a friend or relative or neighbor or acquaintance who will let you download a couple malware scanners and maybe copy them to a USB thumb drive or even burn them to a CD so you can install them on the problem machine?

Hi

Another thing that you could try it uninstalling your Network Adapter in Device Manager.
Reboot and let Windows reinstall and set it to the default settings.

Windows is usually pretty good at establishing an internet connection, it does it even before Windows is installed.

I don't know that this will work but it's usually the first thing I try when I can't get things like this to work.

Based on the info you gave it does seem likely that this is some kind of Malware.

I see Snap.do listed as malware with many posts about how to remove it.

Here is an extensive post about it.

http://www.wintips.org/remove-snap-do-search-snap-do-toolbar/

Can you boot into your computer in Safe Mode?
If so see if you still have the same problem then.

Mike

I have already uninstalled snap.do, and it still doesn't work. when I go to change the LAN settings they are not applied and the apply button is greyed out. It still says the Proxy server isn't responding. When troubleshooting the Network Adapter it says nothing is wrong.

I strongly suspect that snap.do has caused the problem and uninstalling it has still left behind some registry entries which are hijacking your proxy settings. As you say that snap.do was installed only recently you may find running back to a restore point (assuming you have some) which predates the install may be an easy solution.

I strongly suspect that snap.do has caused the problem and uninstalling it has still left behind some registry entries which are hijacking your proxy settings. As you say that snap.do was installed only recently you may find running back to a restore point (assuming you have some) which predates the install may be an easy solution.
How would I do this?

If you're not already on the windows 8 start screen press the windows key. Scroll across to pc settings, click on it and select control panel from the bottom of the left hand panel. In the top left and corner of the control panel select "large icons" from the view by pull down menu Click on the recovery icon and select open system restore. Hopefully you haven't turned it off and you will have the option to select from a number of dated restore points. Select one which you know predates the problem and follow the instructions to restore to that point. If you are told that system restore is switched off then we have just eliminated one possibly easy solution as not being available!

Hi

Patcooke got in here ahead of my so I'll revise my message.

A restore point would be the easiest way to fix this...
If you don't have any restore points from Before you installed Snap.do then the next step would probably be to do a system recovery.

If you don't have a restore point we'll get into that later, I've got my fingers crossed that you do have a restore point.

Did you look through the page that I linked to, there were many steps in the process to get rid of Snap.do.
It wasn't just a matter of running uninstall.

I noted that people said that they had spent months trying to get rid of it and following the instructions had done the job for them.

When you get this fixed it's time for you to start creating system image files, so you can recover from anything like this quickly.
I use free software, EaseUS TODO backup, it will make a copy of your entire C:\ drive that it can restore in a matter of minutes (up to an hour depending on how much stuff you have on it) even it your computer won't boot.

This software is very easy to use a matter of 3 or 4 mouse clicks to create or restore.

But that comes after you get this fixed.

Let us know about the restore point, and we'll go from there.

Mike

launch and elevated command prompt and type
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
hit enter
then type
netsh Winsock reset
hit enter
then type exit
And reboot your computer

Back