IE keeps disapearing

LGJ

Honorable Member
I have W10 and edge but edge won't support addons like Roboform which I use everytime I am on the computer.

I have been trying to use the newest version of IE, but for some reason it won't stay installed.

If I select it from the taskbar a blank page opens up with all my favourites in the bar, but nothing else. It won' navigate anywhere, you can't select settings or anything else.

If I go to uninstall programs it doesn't show up, so I download and install it again and it will work for a couple of days and then poof it's gone again.

I wan't to use IE but I can't, I am presently using Chrome and it works fine.

Thoughts?

Hello,

Windows 10 comes with both the Edge and the IE browser.
To make Internet Explorer your default browser

In the Start Search type and Enter Default programs, and then tap or click Default Programs.
Tap or click Set your default programs.
Select Internet Explorer from the list of programs.
Tap or click Set this program as default, and then tap or click OK.

You might need to repin Internet Explorer to the task bar once you've set it as your default browser.

No that doesn't work. I made IE the default browser but it still is MIA.

Internet Explorer "Install" is in Programs and Features > "Turn Windows Features On and Off" If it's broken then that's a good sign of Windows corruption.

Hi How did you up grade to W10? I would create a back up image and then do a in place install repair if you think your OS is corrupted!
You will need the media creation tool.
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

If you type Internet Explorer in the search ORB. It should open!
Internet Explorer can be found in Windows Accessories. Right click it and pin to the task bar! Cheers !
Capture48.JPG

Last edited:
Internet Explorer "Install" is in Programs and Features > "Turn Windows Features On and Off" If it's broken then that's a good sign of Windows corruption.

When I type in "programs and features" it takes me to the control panel "add and remove programs" and Internet explorer is not there, if I type in internet explorer it takes me to the desktop app and it opens normally. I have it pinned to my start bar and it opens from there fine as well, for awhile, then it disappears again. If I try to download it again, it sometimes will download, other times I get a message saying that I have the latest version installed, then I have to reboot the computer and it starts working again.

Hi LGJ! You will not find Internet Explorer in "add and remove programs" It sounds like you are doing every thing right. I don't know why it would work for awhile and then disappears! I'm not having that problem.
That's the best I can do. I'll keep searching for a solution. Maybe other members here will have more suggestions latter.
  1. Type "Internet Explorer" in the Cortana/Search box. Saying "Hey Cortana, open Internet Explorer" isn't useful here.
  2. Right click on "Internet Explorer" in the Cortana/Search window.
  3. To add as a tile on your Start Menu click "Pin to Start."
  4. To keep it on your taskbar simply click "Pin to taskbar."

How to find Internet Explorer in Windows 10 if you really need it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom