Windows 8 Inbuild video card not detected

Tomh

First of all I don't really know in which category my question belongs so I posted it in the most general one, if someone known please change it if possible or let me know and I'll see if I can move it or restart it it the proper place.

Now to the problem, I have a MP Elite Power I5-3330(http://www.mymp.eu/index.php/elite-power-i5-3330.html) with windows 8.1, which is not the best but should be able to do a lot. However I am under the impression that my videocard is not detected or selected since a lot of the games I try only work on the lowest setting and not even smoothly while when I check the requirements there should be no problem at all...

But there is more also movies in vlc will (sometimes) stutter and won't play smoothly.

I am out of options myself I tried multiple settings and such but I can't figure it out, also I have a cleaner program which I frequently use so registry or something is for so far as I can see not the problem.

If additional information is required please let me know, what and how to get it and I'll provide it.
Any help is welcome, cause it is getting irritating not being able to use all of the pc I paid for.

1. The website and manual reads as one big ad for the amazing new windows 8 but there is nothing anywhere about being 8.1 capable… you would expect them to so;

a. Did the computer come with 8.1 installed,

b. Or did you upgrade it to 8.1 yourself after it arrived?

The on-board video is controlled by software and that may have been disabled during the upgrade process… I would personally consider any i5 motherboard capable of 8.1 but without the specs for the motherboard it is hard to be sure.

2. Press [windows key] + [x]… then press [m] to bring up the device manager, is the display adapter listed correctly i.e. no warnings or unknown device marking on it?

To be clear, motherboard make and model is what we need to know most.

Hi

The computer seems to have an Intel HD 2500 graphics processor.
This appears to be a pretty low performance video processor at or near the bottom of integrated processors.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/intel-hd-graphics-4000-2500_5.html#sect0

You might consider installing a video card, it should make a big difference in game performance.
Even a moderately priced Nvidia or ATI video card should give you a big boost.

Mike

In response to MikeHawthorne first since I can be shortest on that front, I know it isn't that great as stated in my problem description but it is even less now than it was. It used to be able to play movies and such without freezing for milliseconds at a time.

In response to ussnorway;
1.b. but at the time I checked with a program from windows if it was possible first and the trouble started way after the update.
2. device manager says that the display adapter is working properly.

Motherboard wise is this what I could find;
Intel® B75 Express

Hope this helps, if and when it works properly again it turns out that it is insufficient for what I want, is there a way to check which videocards would be compatible with the system I have? I already experienced a cycle of replacing a almost a whole computer part for part a few years back...updated the videocard needed another power adapter after that it worked but got so warm that it damaged the motherboard since the fans couldn't handle it etc. so I wouldn't mind to find out how I can find a proper working one.

Hi

You don't say what cleaner you are using but you could try running CCleaner, Defraggler, and Malwarebytes.
Sometimes just cleaning things up can make a lot of difference.

I know that I can really see the difference when I get all the junk removed and the hard drive frag free.

You could also run ping and make sure that your connection is up to par.

Computers always run great to start with or after a complete clean up, when I feel that my computer is running really well I make a drive image so I can get back to that point if things go down hill.

Mike

Intel® B75 Express

Thats the cpu chip m8... an intel motherboard should be 6 digets so I5-#### or I3-####

I'm hoping you have at least something with a spare slot otherwise you are kind of screwed.

p.s. Mike has a good point... maybe some kind of malware is making a mess as well.

Than I guess I have the I5-3330, CCleaner is the cleaner I referred to but the other programs are also installed although I don't run Defraggler or Malwarebytes as frequent as CCleaner. I will run them all and see what the results are.

Sorry I stuffed up, that is the chip... b75 is the chipset... intel just loves numbers.

lets try a new way, please download and run this scanner... if your board is an intel then it should show up.
1. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/con.../17730/eng/BoardID.exe&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=17730

2. If its not an intel then a belarc scan will find it… get belarc from here http://www.belarc.com/ba5.html?B but please be careful if posting screenshots of the results because it will show your entire system (including windows keys).

Screenshot (9).png

Last edited:
Ok, I did step 1 it said 'No intel(R) desktop board was detected in this system'.
SO I ran the Belarc program and that resulted in this;
upload_2014-8-16_21-16-1.png

Update on the cleaning front, the CCleaner did nothing out of the ordinary but apparently 5% of my c:\ was fragmented which amounts to over 70 GB so the Defraggler had been running for 10 hours now and still needs more than a day. I however hope that when I am not using it it will go faster so that it might be done tomorrow morning. Afterwards I will run the Malwarebyte program since that won't take too long.

I Have a question related to the cleaning up; is there a way or program to see what effect it had besides that XX MB or GB is gone or refragmented? Mike mentioned 'run ping' and I know it needs to be done in the cmd window but got lost in what exactly it is that we want to find out and how to achieve that, so more help on that front is welcome.

Wow Aldi does not like to tell anyone about their products.

The good news

The ms-7797 is an msi board with a new sticker… source

http://www.pcwelt.de/article/video-lightbox/7108805

That means you can (with a bit of cable reshuffling) squeeze a graphics card into it… power is an issue as well so stay low end… unless you want to upgrade the pdu ($50 – 80 but IMO not really worth it).

http://images.gamestar.de/images/idgwpgsgp/bdb/2342841/600x.jpg

p.s. My German is a little rusty but his test uses the “Nvidia Geforce GTX 650” too impressive result (2 years old now and sells for around $30 in Australia)… again this machine will never become a gaming rig but should give solid performance as a general nik-nak system.

Pps, I’d go back to windows 8

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help so far. With my last post I was referring to the speed of the disks I cleaned and re-fragmented, my internet is fine. Malwarebytes didn't find anything significant, 3 or 4 results from which 2 were not malware. But I think Defraggler really sorted something out since it goes smoother than before.

I use Defraggler all the time, the great thing is that once you have done a complete defrag you can do just the fragmented files on a daily basses and it only takes a few minutes to complete.

In some cases as in when I have a very large video project that I'm editing just defragmenting the files for that project can make a big difference.

I've had times when defragmenting the file was the difference between it writing from the creating software successfully and not.

Just to let you know, I updated today and already consider it something I should have done a while ago, thanks for the help.

Back