Windows 7 Internal Mouse Problem

JosiePackard

Hi -

I have a Lenovo T410 thinkpad running Windows 7 64-bit, and yesterday I spilled a bit of syrup on the trackpad and the left and right buttons that sit directly below it. It wasn't much, and I tried to wipe it up immediately. Afterwards, the interal mouse has gone in and out of functionality. I can still use the swipe/scollpad to move around the cursor without trouble, but I cannot click/select anything. When the mouse cursor hovers over an item, it will not even highlight the item or change form itself (e.g. from an arrow to a hand over a link), which makes me think something is messed up beyond the buttons themselves (which I plucked up and tried to clean).

I plugged in a wired mouse, and for the first several minutes it still did not work but eventaully it recognized it and with no trouble, but when I restart with no wired mouse, back to square one.

Appreciate any thoughts/help.

Thanks.

Hmmm, the solution seems obvious to me - the keyboard assembly needs to be disassembled and professionally cleaned. This is not really a difficult task, technically, but it can be time consuming and a bit tedious.

The problem is not likely to get better over time as the sticky syrup will start to collect dust, dirt and buttery pancake crumbs. ;) So from here, it seems you need to take it to a shop for professional cleaning, or live with an external mouse and hope all the keys continue to work properly.

Back