Windows 7 Internet explorer problem, uTorrent problem (Details inside).

iliya7887

(I'm using windows 7 64 bit Toshiba laptop)
So today I had a problem with my computer and as a result I used system restore. The system restore didn't go well, and has basically failed. However, my computer launched properly and I thought I got away from some trouble. I'm not too good with computers. When I executed internet just to browse it didn't come up, niether did uTorrent.(However, internetexplorer 64 bit does come up, that's what I'm using to ask for help in fact.). It sent me this message when I tried to launch uTorrent: wsastartup () failed or you have the incorrect version of winsock installed.
I reinstalled internet explorer but it didn't solve the problem ( uTorrent aswell.)

I suspect some files, vital ones (especially internet affected files) got harmed because of the unsuccessful system restore. I also read somewhere that's it's a virus, however, McAfee works fine and scan didn't show anything harmful.
As I said, I need some help because I'm not very good with computers.

Thanks in advance,
Iliya.

P.S: sorry about my English, it's not my native language.

EDIT: tell me if you need info or screenshots to help identify the issue.

ALSO, all of my programs, computer games don't work!!!! I just found out. NONE.
PLEASE ANSWER SOON. I think it's serious.

Last edited:
Looks like the same problem as mine, only bigger. Programs stop working and need a constant uninstall/reinstall to work (COMPLETE uninstall, Basic "repair" doesn't work). Supposedly, it's a registry problem, it's broken. I've managed to hold mine together with Registry Mechanic but if I don't do it constantly, the affected programs still break and it still can't repair some stuff that always show in the scan. I don't know any solution but to restart to zero, aka, complete format and reinstall of the system. I'm not doing it because I have WAY too much stuff on my comp to do this (over 1 terra). I just thought I'd share my thoughts and experience and hope I gave some insights.

BTW, you still use explorer? Come on, you're better than this. Get Firefox or Chrome. :p

Edit: I forgot to mention that your english is actualy great. I, myself, am french but it really doesn't show.

Last edited:
It is always good to check you system with the System File Checker. It will scan for the OS files and try to replace those it can. If you get error messages about not being able to replace some files, that may help track down a problem or direct the next step.

Open an Administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow

Let it finish and see what it says. If it shows errors, you can check the log to find our which or how many files could not be fixed. We will do that depending on your results.

Formatting isn't exactly an option... but if you insist that the problem is indeed THAT bad, then I guess I have no choice.

sfc /scannow didn't show any problems, but the problem is still existant.

By the way, only a few programs work. VERY FEW.

(And yes, I'm still using explorer :p but now it's because I have no choice. Thanks for the replies.

Hi

This is the kind of problem you get when the power goes off while you are booting your computer.
Your failed restore has damaged something and the best way to fix it would be a repair install of Windows.

This will replace all the Windows files while retaining your settings and data.

The problem is, I'm guessing that since you have a laptop, you don't have a Windows 7 install disk.
If you know anyone who does you could use theirs and do a repair.

It won't care about or ask for your Serial Number during the process.

Repair Install of Windows 7

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

If you have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installed you have to remove it first.

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

The other option is to back up all the data on your computer to an external hard drive
And then use the recovery disk, or partition that came with your computer to restore it, to it's original state.

Check with your manufacturer's web site for specific instructions.

I'd still download and run Malwarebytes to make sure your computer is clean of viruses.

You can download it on another computer and run it from a thumb drive.
Run it in safe mode.

Mike

Last edited:
Back