Windows 8 is there a way to put the snap screen sortcut back in 8.1?

ussnorway

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Premium Supporter
It sometimes seems like I'm one of the few people that likes windows 8, anyway...

In 8, I can snap the desktop screen to the right by pressing "Windows key" + "." or to the left with "Windows key" + "shift" + "." and this is a very handy sortcut but for some reason Microsoft has disabled this shortcut in 8.1.

Does anyone know of a way to put it back in?

I use Printkey2000 program. It's actually a very old portable app (no installation) but still works without problem on Win 8.1. If enabled, all you need to do is just to hit the PrtScn button. You can capture the entire screen or capture part of the screen (using "Ractangle" option. There's also an option to save or print directly and edit the screenshot on the fly.

Printkey+2000+Main+Screen.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks badrobot however I'm not talking about taking a snapshot but I guess that’s not clear from the above post… sorry, my bad.

In windows 8 and 8.1 you can move the desktop over to show the metro or apps screen…
snapr.png

That way you can then start up an app (like iexplorer) and show them side by side, like if you had a dual monitor… so for example you could have a full screen game running and still use the internet.
snapr2.png

Windows 8 has a short cut for this but they turned it off in 8.1… Microsoft really shits me some times with this change things around policy they like to implement… I mean it's not that they used the "." button for something else, so they just turned it off for the sake of it?

Oh. Yeah. Sorry. Got confused. Hahaha.
I heard about snap before but I never really got to use it cuz I am running 4 monitors. :) But on my 10" tablet it's very easy to activate it by dragging and sliding. I will watch your thread in case someone has an answer.

Cheers!

edit:
Ooops... My 4 monitor setup is Win 7 (my bad). My Win 8.1 desktop is dual monitor only. But I tried using the mouse to snap, it's also easy. :)

Thanks badrobot however I'm not talking about taking a snapshot but I guess that’s not clear from the above post… sorry, my bad.

In windows 8 and 8.1 you can move the desktop over to show the metro or apps screen…
View attachment 26687

That way you can then start up an app (like iexplorer) and show them side by side, like if you had a dual monitor… so for example you could have a full screen game running and still use the internet.
View attachment 26688

*Windows 8 has a short cut for this but they turned it off in 8.1… Microsoft really shits me some times with this change things around policy they like to implement… I mean it's not that they used the "." button for something else, so they just turned it off for the sake of it?

*Windows 8 has a short cut for this but they turned it off in 8.1

*Not turned off. It is Win+period & then L/R, Up/Dn arrow keys

Also, Rt Clk on an APP @ the Switcher Bar... man, NOW, you can move (multiple) stuff all over the place. Check it out, there's heaps of flexibility w/ maneuvering & positioning.

Cheers,
Drew

I've all ways been able to use the snap feature in 8 Pro/8.1 Pro/8.1.1 Pro.....I just snapped my browser to left side, then moved it to the right side and then opened an app. All works fine for me. It's always been enabled for me.

Yeah and on the APP Bar the terminology changed from Snap Left or Right to Insert Left or Right. Maybe so not to confuse it (anymore) w/ Snapping 2 windows to share the screen.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Back