Windows 7 Is there any way to remove the cursor?

poof

I want to set up a touchscreen kiosk and i dont want the cursor to show up, how do i get rid of it? I tried a program called nomousey but it gave me a black square instead of a cursor, other solutions involve editing the cursor file but thats above my head.

I'm pretty sure that I have heard of people doing this by creating a transparent cursor.
The Cursor files are stored in C:\Windows\Cursors in the .cur format.

I think that the Icon art is encoded in there in .png format.

The problem is that I don't know what program opens the .cur files.

You could then replace the regular cursor with the transparent one re-save the file and select it in mouse options.

If you can find software that will let you extract the image of the cursor for one of the themes a program like Photoshop will let you create a transparent cursor.

I'm sure that there are program that will open the .cur files if you search for it.

This sounds like a lot of work, but if you need to do it, it should be pretty safe as long as you can still operate your computer when the cursor vanishes.

Mike

Check this out. You can use it free for 30 days.

http://www.aha-soft.com/artcursors/

Last edited:
You know, I never even knew that about the \Windows\Cursors folder. Good info Mike. I literally did not even know it existed because I never had the personal need or want to mess with it.

Now for something risky? Hahaha....

Perhaps the OP can make a restore point in case this goes wrong, and it likely will lol.

Simply rename the Cursors folder to BAK instead then reboot. See what the heck happens. The results would be interesting, for sure...satisfactory or not.

I was really looking for a background program that would allow me to enable/disable it with a keypress. Obviously doing it manually will leave me with no way to control my computer.

How did you do it?
And I thought you would be able to control your computer with the touch screen?

Mike

Last edited:
Turns out nomousey worked on win7. I had tried in on xp and it gave me the black box. There was also another shareware program i tried that did the same thing, but no mousey is free and works fine, and according to google, seems like the only real solution out there, which would make sense as it is an odd thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom