Windows 7 Is This a Good Setup?

cgrim29588

I'm thinking of buying this computer and was wondering if it is a good setup or not:

Sidious 570MT- Inspiron 570 Minitower w/ Black Bezel
Operating System-Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Processors: AMD Sempron™ 140 (2.7GHz, 1MB)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz- 2 DIMMs
Keyboard: Dell USB Entry Keyboard
Monitor: 18.5" Dell IN1910N HD Monitor with VGA cable
Video Cards: integrated ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics
Hard Drives: 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Color Bezels: Piano Black
Mouse: Dell USB Optical Mouse
Network Card: Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Modem: No modem option
Adobe: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Sound: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers: No Speaker Option
Microsoft Works and Office: No Productivity Software Requested (Will install Microsoft Office)
Security Software: McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial (Will be installing Norton360)
Service: 1 Year Basic Service Plan
Service 1: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

Here is a breakdown of the Price:

Inspiron 570 MT Minitower: $429.00
Shipping & Handling: $.0.00
Tax: $34.32
-------------------------------------------------------------
Total Total: $463.32

So is this a good setup or not?

The CPU on it is pretty dire, semprons are AMD versions of Celerons....to be avoided, as for the video, well if buying a new system i'd be looking at at least a entry level 5000 series.

That said at £311 you can't really expect much more grunt in a rig for the price, personally I'd save up for a bit longer and get something better like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227217

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying this computer and was wondering if it is a good setup or not:

Three words.... Intel & Not-Dell. In case you haven't looked at Dell's net worth lately, I'd opt for Acer or Toshiba with a core 2 duo or quad from Intel.

What's your maximum budget limit? Do you prefer a laptop or desktop? Do you prefer AMD or Intel for a CPU? Check out Tirgerdirect.com, they have some really good deals.

It basically depends on what you want to do with it.... If it's just for emailing and surfing the net then fine, anything else like gaming and your going to struggle.
Post what you want to use this machine for and we could perhaps voice further opinion..

No way to tell. You did not say what you will be doing with this machine. I agree with kemicial - if this machine is going to be used for work, school, email, web surfing, on-line banking, and an occasional DVD movie, then it should be more than adequate. But if you plan on doing serious 3D animated gaming, then you need more CPU and graphics horsepower. And with Win7, I generally recommend at least 3Gb. It is not that Win7 needs more RAM, it is that it uses it very well to improve performance.

What's your maximum budget limit? Do you prefer a laptop or desktop? Do you prefer AMD or Intel for a CPU? Check out Tirgerdirect.com, they have some really good deals.

$300 is m minimum budget and I prefer desktops. Doesn't matter about the CPU.

It basically depends on what you want to do with it.... If it's just for emailing and surfing the net then fine, anything else like gaming and your going to struggle.
Post what you want to use this machine for and we could perhaps voice further opinion..

Yes it's just emailing and surfing the net

For what you want to do, it will work fine. But for me, I would want to make sure both the computer graphics and the monitor support some form of digital (DVI or HDMI). Your monitor does not. I cannot find any info on that computer. Digital is not totally necessary, it is typically much better than using a LCD monitor that supports analog only.

And make sure you can live with that size screen. 18 in a wide screen is not very big.

For what you want to do, it will work fine. But for me, I would want to make sure both the computer graphics and the monitor support some form of digital (DVI or HDMI). Your monitor does not. I cannot find any info on that computer. Digital is not totally necessary, it is typically much better than using a LCD monitor that supports analog only.

And make sure you can live with that size screen. 18 in a wide screen is not very big.

Why would I need DVI or HDMI? I;m fine with my current monitor, but may buy something better later on

Yes it's just emailing and surfing the net

Then it will be fine for your needs..

I think Digerati means that as your not bothered about buying a DVI or HDMI then you'll be fine using what you've got although sometime in the future it might be worth upgrading to a digital monitor as these are superior to normal monitors.

How did I answer my own question?
You asked why do you need DVI or HDMI, then in the next breath you said you may buy something better later on. "Something better" is digital and that requires either DVI or HDMI support on both the monitor, and the graphics card or on-board. So I am saying in order to prevent having to toss this monitor because next year you want something better is a waste of money when, for just a little bit more now, you can get a monitor that will carry you into the future.

Also - please do not bump your posts, unless they go days without a response.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom