Windows 10 Is Windows 10 Really Free?

Is anything truly free? Usually the piper has to be paid somewhere.. ;)

Well, .going back to one of my threads of many months ago. I have not changed my opinion. Windows 10 is, for me, Windows 8 sp3.

A necessary rewrite of the kernel, agreed. not a lot actually done there. All other items could easily have been added to the original Windows 8.1
So, we have already paid for it, on that premise, when we bought Windows 8.

I think the only reason that it's called Windows 10 was to get away from the bad publicity that Windows 8 got.
I didn't have any trouble using Windows 8, but I did use Classic Shell to change the interface.

If Microsoft had made that an option when they came out we probably would be looking at Windows 8.2 or 3.

I think the only reason that it's called Windows 10 was to get away from the bad publicity that Windows 8 got.
I didn't have any trouble using Windows 8, but I did use Classic Shell to change the interface.

If Microsoft had made that an option when they came out we probably would be looking at Windows 8.2 or 3.

While it's not fair to say that Windows 10's primary feature is the return of the Start Menu, I still believe that the introduction of a "Start Button", only, in Windows 8.1, purportedly as a result of feedback, was a major insult to paying customers. I think whether or not Windows 10 is greater than the sum of its parts remains to be seen, because quite frankly, they have invested a great deal of time into making it a "cloud" operating system, which, in my opinion, could be both uneventful and, yet again, a dubious strategy to pick up more mobile users and enterprise users. That being said, and to your point, what a company like Stardock did with Start8 and MetroUI, functionality wise, is essentially the only major feature that I can see the majority of Windows 8 customers having asked for, in great abundance, and a third party software company released that in about 10 minutes after Windows 8 was released, figuratively speaking. So for those upgrading for the Start Menu, to me at least, this is somewhat of a joke of an upgrade.

P.S. Every operating system runs virtually fast when there is no software installed on it.

Last edited:
I think that Windows 8 was so poorly received that they just want to forget about it.
Start button or not, the public's response to it was so bad that it hurt computer sales.

As I said, I didn't have any problem running Windows 8, but I still didn't like it.

I later regretted buying my computer with it and wished I'd gone with Windows 7 Pro instead which was still an option at the time.
This in spite of the fact that I had beta tested Windows 8, but I had issues with a number of things in Windows 8.1 that I didn't in 8.

But I had those same issues in Windows 10, I had to stop using my sound card because of the problems with it in W 10.
Maybe when Windows 10 goes to the final version I'll try activating my Sound Blaster card again, but I've gotten used to the onboard sound now.

I think the "Names the Thing" in this case, whatever it was going to be they want people to think of it as Not Windows 8.

Mike

Well according to Microsoft the real reason is because this is the last operating system to be released in this way. This meant that Windows 9 didn't sound dramatic enough so they jumped a number to windows 10.

Damn.... and here I am thinking it was so they could start another massive ad campaign referencing something like "The Alternative To osX.... winX"
Pay them back for all the I'm a MAC / I'm a PC commercials.

Shouldn't be too long before people start calling it msX

I am getting into a bad habit of calling it Windows 8.2 -lol. Better than Windows 8.1 SP1, 8+2 adds up to 10.

Back